What's new

Lazyace

Student
Reaction score
Hi all,
Wasn't sure if this should be in the Taito section, anyhow...I'm looking to make up a stereo amp for my Egret 2 cabs so I can get the full sonic effect of the Konami GX boards, along with CPS2 etc. etc. I'm unable to find the original Taito stereo amp and I hear it's not the best either so making one would be a good option, I also like to tinker.

I don't want to hack anything about if I can avoid it, although I've already attached quick release bullet heads to the back of the mono/stereo/test panel since I had to remove them to re-plate the panel when I did my restore.

I have made up interchangeable/unpluggable custom JST speaker cable ends for use with MiSTer/GroovyMAME and a little car amp, which works well, but would be nice if I could somehow adapt the original hardware to use the mono/stereo switch in the cab for my stereo boards. I can power the amp separately if needed as have a discrete extension lead inside the cab, since I use the power with a wifi plug, so that part isn't a problem.

I have the original manuals with the wiring diagram, so I can see how it all 'goes together' I just can't quite get my brain in gear to understand how to either use the car amp I've got or what I'd need to use a stereo amp and wire it in using the original mono/stereo switch and get it all working.

I'm fairly confident with a soldering iron and any kind of wiring (generally!), so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi all,
Wasn't sure if this should be in the Taito section, anyhow...I'm looking to make up a stereo amp for my Egret 2 cabs so I can get the full sonic effect of the Konami GX boards, along with CPS2 etc. etc. I'm unable to find the original Taito stereo amp and I hear it's not the best either so making one would be a good option, I also like to tinker.

I don't want to hack anything about if I can avoid it, although I've already attached quick release bullet heads to the back of the mono/stereo/test panel since I had to remove them to re-plate the panel when I did my restore.

I have made up interchangeable/unpluggable custom JST speaker cable ends for use with MiSTer/GroovyMAME and a little car amp, which works well, but would be nice if I could somehow adapt the original hardware to use the mono/stereo switch in the cab for my stereo boards. I can power the amp separately if needed as have a discrete extension lead inside the cab, since I use the power with a wifi plug, so that part isn't a problem.

I have the original manuals with the wiring diagram, so I can see how it all 'goes together' I just can't quite get my brain in gear to understand how to either use the car amp I've got or what I'd need to use a stereo amp and wire it in using the original mono/stereo switch and get it all working.

I'm fairly confident with a soldering iron and any kind of wiring (generally!), so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
GX should be preamped- but iirc it follows a different pinout so you can just wire an adapter from the the P connector.

I have a Q sound amp in one of my e2 and a Sega Naomi all in one in the other. The big thing about getting good amps working in the e2 is getting it power. The stock e2 psu isn't grand for powering amps.

Since both of my amps had powered transformers - I wired those into the AC coming in, so when the cabinet turns on, they turn on. After that it was a matter of wiring up adapters for seperate volume pots and adapers to connect it to the P connector.

Edit:

The taito stereo amp is mainly meant for the e3 - its biggest strength is being drop in compatible with E3/AWSD. It's nothing special imo; there is a second revision that is found in some deluxe taito cabinets that has additional hardware on it, and its got a little more bass and thump.

My E2 has one of the Sega Naomi all-in-one amps. Instructions here:
http://www.evolvingconsole.com/2012/01/16/sega-naomi-audio-amp-install/

Sega_Naomi_Amp_Labelled.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing, thanks. I've read there are using the F3/F connector rather than the P connector with CPS2 boards, something about interference I think, is this not the case? In terms of the transformer is there a suggestion as to what is compatible since all the Naomi amps I've seen for sale are sans transformer.
I used this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4033520992...HvGxKqeSDa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

You’ll also need to wire up a volume pot for it, but it’s a great amp. Sound wise I really prefer the model amp that’s in the blast and nvs but these are much easier to install.

1665792327689.png

This is a diagram I drew up to do for my Egret3 some time ago, your welcome :)

Edit:
You will need a volume pot for the amp, set and mount that pot to your amp or somewhere. Set that to something somewhat loud and then never touch it again and you can still retain the factory volume pots and lower it as needed from there instead.

Back