What's new
It's an off the rack MegaDrive SCART cable. Some of my other superguns and systems use a Saturn mini-din, this setup lets me just plug/unplug the SCART from the BNC adapter to switch over. I've also run this through a SCART auto-switch (this one: https://www.retrorgb.com/10-in-3-out-auto-scart-switch-reviewed.html).
I have a couple of 27" 4x3 CRT's laying around. One is a Sony flat screen that has component input. I suppose I can give the RGB to component transcoder a whirl and see how I like it. It was just $21 bucks. I am a big fan of really sharp images. So if that cheap Ali Express produces a soft image, I'll probably RGB mod one of the CRT's. What has kept me from RGB modding a consumer grade TV for a while is all the projects I have going on :).

I have a couple of 27" 4x3 CRT's laying around. One is a Sony flat screen that has component input. I suppose I can give the RGB to component transcoder a whirl and see how I like it. It was just $21 bucks. I am a big fan of really sharp images. So if that cheap Ali Express produces a soft image, I'll probably RGB mod one of the CRT's. What has kept me from RGB modding a consumer grade TV for a while is all the projects I have going on :).
I use the RetroTink RGB2COMP adapter for when I want to go that route.

I use the RetroTink RGB2COMP adapter for when I want to go that route.
My choices were Retrotink's solution, wakabavideo's solution, or the cheap Ali Express solution. I went with the Aliexpress solution. I liked the option for DSUB15 input and found a pretty good review on about it on Youtube. The dude discussing it on his channel appears to be quite the retro gaming snob/enthusiast and he expressed that it is his go to solution for RGB-to-Component Video. Will see how it goes and report back.

I built one of these and am getting ready to test it. I have a pvm I can test with, but ultimately this will life in a cabinet housing a composite only consumer CRT. Not ideal I know - but it’s what fits. What’s the recommended way to get to composite? Is there something like the retrotink rgb2comp for composite? Or should I use my rgb2comp + something else to go from component to composite?

I built one of these and am getting ready to test it. I have a pvm I can test with, but ultimately this will life in a cabinet housing a composite only consumer CRT. Not ideal I know - but it’s what fits. What’s the recommended way to get to composite? Is there something like the retrotink rgb2comp for composite? Or should I use my rgb2comp + something else to go from component to composite?

You'll need an RGB to composite converter of some sort.
AuxnWorks has one: https://www.axunworks.com/product-p341706.html
(also one of these on the ebays... which is tempting. but I don't NEED it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/195585941630)

Also some cheaper options out there: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174578156353

Note that most SCART to composite adapters are assuming you have composite input on the SCART side. Make sure it's RGB to composite.

Last edited:
Fully aware that Frank hasn't been here in years (can't thank Frank enough for all he's done) but I have a couple of these and I want a compatible mini DIN to VGA cable, what do folks use, from memory it's "Saturn" inspired?

Fully aware that Frank hasn't been here in years (can't thank Frank enough for all he's done) but I have a couple of these and I want a compatible mini DIN to VGA cable, what do folks use, from memory it's "Saturn" inspired?
The original eight pin output is based on the Micomsoft Framemeister XRGB-Mini input. The nine pin output is based on genesis 2. In either case, the minigun doesn't provide hsync & vsync signals that a VGA connector would need.

You can make your own cable. Easy enough to do. But you'd still need to figure out how to split CSync into H and V sync if going to VGA.

Reactions: RGB
I don't get it. Your board doesn't split csync into hsync & vsync. So it will not work with anything accepting VGA style input. Why would you use this?
I’ve already confirmed with Jeff the 8 Din adapter works with minigun and the 9 Din should also work. That is why I would use this.

I’ve already confirmed with Jeff the 8 Din adapter works with minigun and the 9 Din should also work. That is why I would use this.
What do you connect to the other end of the VGA cable?

Which model PVMs have a VGA input that accepts RGBS? mine doesn't.
C305EE38-54CD-4352-BB3D-395DCFB15E8F.jpeg

Back