What's new
I think you misunderstand. the HDMI to VGA dongle works perfectly and doesn't need an adapter
... but I want an HDMI to DVI... and I've yet to find one on the market that supports audio out and doesn't need a 5V adapter.

I'm just about to take possession of my first New Net City, and I'd like to run a MiSTer in it, but also have the option to swap it easily back to a Naomi setup. I was just curious how you've got on with your JVS-PAC setup and if it easily allows that? I'm very familiar with MiSTer as I've already got one running in an Astro City, but I'm new to JVS standard cabs. Could you give me some details about what setup you landed on?

I currently run the original JPAC in my Astro City but I'm waiting to swap it out for a MiSTercade when it ships.

Could you give me some details about what setup you landed on?
You don't want my advice. I'm ditching MiSTer as a platform. Maybe I'll revisit in a year to see if the issues I have with it are fixed.

no real gripes with the jvspac2 for use with mister except that coins seem to rarely work. It's unclear if thats a mister or a jvspac2 problem though.

I never used it on my net city, only Vewlix so your experience may vary.

You don't want my advice. I'm ditching MiSTer as a platform. Maybe I'll revisit in a year to see if the issues I have with it are fixed.

no real gripes with the jvspac2 for use with mister except that coins seem to rarely work. It's unclear if thats a mister or a jvspac2 problem though.

I never used it on my net city, only Vewlix so your experience may vary.
OMG dont let the MisterFPGA consortium hear this. They run a tight ship where your issues/concerns are meaningless unless its something they approve of, otherwise they will just tell you to get a Rpi. :D

But seriously, there have been workarounds implemented by various people for the arcade cab/supergun owners to use the mister. I am personally waiting for @invzim to release his adapter. I also purchased a misteraddon's mistercade, so waiting on that to finally ship out to try.

I also purchased a misteraddon's mistercade, so waiting on that to finally ship out to try.
I ordered that too, but I don't actually have a MiSTer yet to use with it lol. I should probably get on that ...

I really only have 1 requirement and 1 requirement only with every multi, emulation platform etc.

1. it can be used in a real public arcade environment.

Don't care if it's coin or freeplay, if it's an on screen menu or set by dip switches. but First and foremost this means that players can't access system menus and change settings.
it's depressing how many of these setups fail at that right out of the gate.

Maybe that means it's not for me, that's fine, I'm not saying every setup has to conform to my personal standards.
But if you're looking for my endorsement, the twistedsymphony seal of approval, that's step 1.

Last edited:
I don't have any need for mine to be used in a public environment, but I respect that some folks might have that requirement.

For me, my criteria would be your usual latency, accuracy issues but also I'd like better input assignment and handling. I had to faff about with my Astro City Mister setup for WAY too long with the Ultimarc JPAC because of P1/P2 assignment issues.

I think my best bet is just going to be a JVS-PAC2. Though, I don't also see why I couldn't run some cheapo controller encoders and build up another harness from my control panel to those, and then connect to the MiSTer. I suppose it would just be uglier.

Heads up, MiSTercade will have a download with pre-configured mappings for all cores that work with its on-board encoder. Simply wack the files on your SD card after update_all and everything is setup ready to roll… been busy testing them the past week with no issues.

I hear you though, manually mapping cores can be tiresome.

Last edited:
The Jamma Expander (and soon to be released JVS-PAC 2 firmware) should address @twistedsymphony 's concerns. (Pending no changes on the mister side of things of course).
Awesome brother, patiently waiting. I know your solution will be by far the best for us cab/supergun owners, plus I like the way you set up the board stack etc... :thumbsup:

The MisterCade is awesome, highly recommended. I've been beta testing multiple revisions for Porkchop Express and it's solid AF.

I've also used @Arthrimus 's Jammaizer to connect the Mister, and that also works really well. It's main purpose is for real console connections, but it works with the Mister flawlessly as well.

I don't know about the invzim one. That one kinda came out of left field. But the first two options I mentioned have worked fantastically with my New Astro City and Aero City.

Heads up, MiSTercade will have a download with pre-configured mappings for all cores that work with its on-board encoder. Simply wack the files on your SD card after update_all and everything is setup ready to roll… been busy testing them the past week with no issues.

I'm already in the Mistercade pre-order, just waiting for him to release the final version. Looking forward to it. I'll probably put it in my Astro City and flip that to tate, and then potentially go with JVS-PAC2 in my NNC in yoko and then I can easily enough swap that to Naomi since everything will be non-destructive.

Or, I'll end up giving in to a 3rd cab because that's how it goes.

Thanks for the info all! Appreciate it. Is there an NNC restore thread handy? Mine is coming from Matt Cloer and looks like it's in good shape, but I know there will be odds and ends I'll need to fix on it.

Does it fix any of my gripes with the menu?
-ability to prevent player from accessing settings
-ability to easily reach the game selection menu to change games.

@twistedsymphony Nope, not all all.

I get that the MiSTer doesn’t do what you want and that’s unfortunate. It’s not going to change unless MiSTer devs change honestly. Maybe throw in a suggestion on their git or start a thread on the MiSTerFPGA forums. Maybe they’ll creep your features in.

Changing games is a zero issue. It’s one button to bring up the menu. Then select game or core and you’re straight in.

We could have this debate and conversation over and over again and it’s not honestly going to accomplish anything. I’m pretty sure people fully understand and empathise with your gripes at this point also?

It’s the same deal people have with the multis. Some people want an OSD. Some people want a selector LCD. Some want graphics on a OLED. Some people want a OLED with just text. Some want a small screen. Some want a big one. Some like DIP switches, etc. etc. Can’t please everyone and it’s cool you stuck to your guns and decided that the MiSTer isn’t for you.

At the end of the day, the MiSTer is a fantastic and affordable device to enjoy playing arcade ane console games. The JAMMA solutions coming up are going to give anyone with a cab the ability to explore a huge amount of stuff, with a fair majority of it being pretty accurate. It’s not going to work for everyone the way their mind can conjure. But practically everything plays, and plays well.

p.s. FWIW my reply was aimed at @bbickell comment about input assignment and handling.

Changing games is a zero issue. It’s one button to bring up the menu. Then select game or core and you’re straight in.
that's significantly different than the current setup. as it is right now there is no button on the control panel to bring up the menu, I have to plug in a keyboard to push F12, and then it's more than one navigation steps to reach the core selection menu.

You could map two buttons to go directly to the core menu. eg. Down + Start or B1 and B6. However going by your strict needs, this still won’t serve your purpose.

There is actually a really nifty solution which might solve this issue for you in relation to the MiSTercade.

Unfortunately, I don’t think I am at liberty to say anything else. Myself and the Beta testers who were in the last batch know what’s up :)

You should be able to configure a button on a controller to bring up the menu in MiSTer - I know I have that ability at least. I can't remember the last time I had to have a keyboard plugged into mine (probably just at the initial setup).

You could map two buttons to go directly to the core menu. eg. Down + Start or B1 and B6.
really? why didn't anyone tell me this when I asked about it 6-weeks ago?

How do I create such a button mapping?

When you get to the “OSD Button” section just press the two buttons or movement+button you want.

Sometimes it takes a couple of try’s to catch it as it might just register one of the presses.

Back