What's new

GeorgeSpinner

Grand Master
Reaction score
The title pretty much sums up my issue.

I am see graphical glitches/artifacts when using the NeoSD with one of my MV1B boards.

The artifacts appear mostly where there's text. They usually represent as small horizontal lines of pixels.

The artifacts usually only occur in 1 or 2 locations, close to each other.

There are no issues with any of my other carts.

The NeoSD works fine on the 6 other boards I've tried it on (all MV1A, MV1B, or MV1C).

I've tried multiple NeoSD carts on this board and they both behaved exactly the same.

Anybody have an idea what could cause this?

Thanks.

I'm having the same issue on my AES except I get weird black lines in the background too. Try loading up waku waku 7 and see if you're getting that too.

I've been trying to get them to send me a replacement with no luck for a while now.

Maybe someone nice will reply but generally we don’t support their products on this forum.

Also in case anyone still questions their character they took another awful swipe at krikzz today, in their typical hostile fashion.

Also in case anyone still questions their character they took another awful swipe at krikzz today, in their typical hostile fashion.
Looked it up, damn. krikzz basically tweeting that he finally got himself and his family safely out of Ukraine after their neighborhood had been bombed and they STILL decided that was a good opportunity to throw shade. Thats trashy AF.

Maybe someone nice will reply but generally we don’t support their products on this forum.

How about supporting me?
I've not been a bad guy to anybody.
The issue is also obviously with my mv1b, so that's really what I'm looking for support with.

Is it obvious? You said your MV1B works with all other carts. The thread title is literally

MV1B Graphics Glitches/Artifacts in Text, Only Occurs with NeoSD - Regular Carts are Fine

Sounds like it’s an issue between the MV1B and the NeoSD. But if it’s not-I’ll solve the problem then. Throw away the NeoSD and your MV1B is perfect!

But in all seriousness im not preventing someone else from helping. If someone wants to split that hair that’s fine by me but it feels like a question TO should be answering themselves. And I just thought you’d want to know why, if nobody answered… typically we don’t support TO products here and they have their own support forum/discord for their own products. Maybe I should have linked you to those but I’m not sure where they are honestly. You do seem like a nice guy, so I hope you can get TO to give you the support you need.

Last edited:
Is it obvious? You said your MV1B works with all other carts. The thread title is literally

MV1B Graphics Glitches/Artifacts in Text, Only Occurs with NeoSD - Regular Carts are Fine

Sounds like it’s an issue between the MV1B and the NeoSD. But if it’s not-I’ll solve the problem then. Throw away the NeoSD and your MV1B is perfect!

I also said:

The NeoSD works fine on the 6 other boards I've tried it on (all MV1A, MV1B, or MV1C).

Unfortunately, throwing away this mv1b isn't a reasonable option or I would.

If there is someone that understands what typically causes graphical issues, like I described, on mv1b boards (or similar hardware), I'd be interested in hearing about it.

I'm a contributing member of this forum and promote the forum to whoever will listen.

I promote the forum because, in my experience, it has been a place of openness and sharing.

If anyone chooses not share this information with me just because I plan to use it with a NeoSD, that would be disappointing.

I'm having the same issue on my AES except I get weird black lines in the background too. Try loading up waku waku 7 and see if you're getting that too.

I've been trying to get them to send me a replacement with no luck for a while now.
I can try on my AES board. I'll let you know.

Unfortunately, throwing away this mv1b isn't a reasonable option or I would.
oh I said throw away the neoSD! But I was kidding anyway. For an issue that presents itself between only two unique pieces of hardware (cart works on other consoles, other carts work with this console) then the issue is bound to be in how that particular cart mates with that particular console. Check your console pins, clean the cart edge, especially power lines. https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=MVS_cartridge_pinout

If issues are only on ‘HUD text’ then it’s on what’s called the ‘fix layer’. If the issue is on stylized text then I’d expect it to show up on other sprites… anyway if it’s just HUD then check the FIXD0-FIXD7 lines and 2H1. More info and some images you can compare with https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=Signals https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=Graphic_glitches

Last edited:
oh I said throw away the neoSD! But I was kidding anyway. For an issue that presents itself between only two unique pieces of hardware (cart works on other consoles, other carts work with this console) then the issue is bound to be in how that particular cart mates with that particular console. Check your console pins, clean the cart edge, especially power lines. https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=MVS_cartridge_pinout

If issues are only on ‘HUD text’ then it’s on what’s called the ‘fix layer’. If the issue is on stylized text then I’d expect it to show up on other sprites… anyway if it’s just HUD then check the FIXD0-FIXD7 lines and 2H1. More info and some images you can compare with https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=Signals https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=Graphic_glitches
Thanks!

What is considered stylized text? Would the text in the beginning of NAM1975 be considered stylized text?

I originally noticed it on strikers 1945 plus, after you insert and credit, there is an image of a red button being pressed with the words "press start". is that stylized text?

I have cleaned the hell out of everything. I was able to try a 2nd NeoSD and it acted the same way, so I'm thinking it's the system.

I ordered a DarkSoft Multi-MVS from saveyourgames today. The euro is the weakest it's been against the dollar in a while, so I took advantage.

I have no issue with waku waku 7 or anything else on my AES. I checked it out tonight.

I have cleaned the hell out of everything. I was able to try a 2nd NeoSD and it acted the same way, so I'm thinking it's the system.
It's probably a bug in their Firmware. Either that or a power issue. Check your +5V if you haven't done it yet

Last edited:
I originally noticed it on strikers 1945 plus, after you insert and credit, there is an image of a red button being pressed with the words "press start". is that stylized text?
s1945p is a weird one, it uses encrypted gfx roms, and those roms supply data to the srom (fix layer). Is that the only example? Would eliminate variables like decryption errors on the neoSD if there were others. Generally speaking the stuff like "insert coin" or "credits" or anything on the HUD... that's fix layer. The text in Nam1975 is very likely the fix layer. You can display logos and stuff with the fix layer too (health bars, etc) but it's always stuff that sits on top of sprites. Stylized text is like the logo for Twinklestar Sprites.

You could make sure the srom data is ok on whatever sd card you're using, that's where the data starts. Try a new rom, try a new sd card. Though if it were the data I'd expect the corruption to show up on other systems, with that cart.

s1945p is a weird one, it uses encrypted gfx roms, and those roms supply data to the srom (fix layer). Is that the only example? Would eliminate variables like decryption errors on the neoSD if there were others. Generally speaking the stuff like "insert coin" or "credits" or anything on the HUD... that's fix layer. The text in Nam1975 is very likely the fix layer. You can display logos and stuff with the fix layer too (health bars, etc) but it's always stuff that sits on top of sprites. Stylized text is like the logo for Twinklestar Sprites.

You could make sure the srom data is ok on whatever sd card you're using, that's where the data starts. Try a new rom, try a new sd card. Though if it were the data I'd expect the corruption to show up on other systems, with that cart.
Thanks.
Sounds like fix layer, based on what you describe.

It's probably a bug in their Firmware. Either that or a power issue. Check your +5V if you haven't done it yet
Thanks.

Power was first thing I checked.

It works fine with other mv1b boards, so idk about firmware (but you'd know more about it than me).

I'll be able to try your cart on it in a couple days.

The title pretty much sums up my issue.

I am see graphical glitches/artifacts when using the NeoSD with one of my MV1B boards.

The artifacts appear mostly where there's text. They usually represent as small horizontal lines of pixels.

The artifacts usually only occur in 1 or 2 locations, close to each other.

There are no issues with any of my other carts.

I've tried multiple NeoSD carts on this board and they both behaved exactly the same.

Anybody have an idea what could cause this?

Thanks.
I suspect it's a neo-buf issue. Check the board if one of the neo-buf ICs was replaced with a repro or a bypass flex.

I suspect it's a neo-buf issue. Check the board if one of the neo-buf ICs was replaced with a repro or a bypass flex.
Good guess! It was replaced with a strange looking reproduction. This is not a bypass.

Screenshot_20220319-115149-692.png

Sorry for the bad pic, it's what I had on my phone already.

Curious why, if it’s a component issue on the mobo, it wouldn’t effect all carts on that motherboard? Does the NeoSD not send appropriate signal levels or something?

Back