What's new

DJungelraffel

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello. Im about to arrange a Live Neo Turf tournament and I bought a Splitfire and an OSSC.
I could'nt get any game image on OBS studios. The OSSC showed "NO SYNC" on the mini display. So I asked around and more than one person told me to do the following settings in the OSSC:

Sync OPT. -> H-PLL Post-Coast - 2 lines
Sync OPT. -> Hsync Tolerance - 8.30us

On AV3_RGBS.

I did so , and the OSSC did'nt show the "no sync" message anymore. Instead I got the following info on the mini display:

AV3_RGBS 263-p
15.62kHz 59.41Hz

But I still cant get any image through my capture card (a no-brand cheap one) nor on a hdmi monitor directly from the OSSC (an old Sony monitor, probably 15+ yo).

Now I'm running out of ideas. Could it be my capture card not being able to handle the signal put out by the OSSC, or am I missing more settings ont he OSSC?

I started to look at https://www.firebrandx.com/osscprofiles.html hwo makes custom OSSC profiles for several consoles, But I haven't had the time yet to try the "Neo Geo" profile.

I'm using a Single slot Jamma board.

The crt in the cabinet is putting out a perfect image.

Does anyone here have experience with this setup? Maybe someone could help me with a OSSC profile that will work, or maybe someone knows about a capture card that will work with this setup?

Thank you!
I'll look into it.

edit:
hmmm. this thread was not really about MVS....

Last edited:

Are you using a v1.8? Thought the latest firmware was 0.88 for the 1.7s, but I admit to not keeping up with things as much as I should. Regardless, it should be fine.

No that thread is not specific to MVS, but you're using a single slot board which is JAMMA. Shouldn't be anything too special about the Neo Geo other than a possibly slightly off sync signal. But the OSSC should have no issues. That being said, I've always goes into my OSSCs via SCART from a Neo Geo. I assume you're using the "VGA" input.

May need to ask over here: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/nac-splitfire-jamma-streaming-solution.7200/

Last edited:
Are you using a v1.8? Thought the latest firmware was 0.88 for the 1.7s, but I admit to not keeping up with things as much as I should. Regardless, it should be fine.

No that thread is not specific to MVS, but you're using a single slot board which is JAMMA. Shouldn't be anything too special about the Neo Geo other than a possibly slightly off sync signal. But the OSSC should have no issues. That being said, I've always goes into my OSSCs via SCART from a Neo Geo. I assume you're using the "VGA" input.

May need to ask over here: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/nac-splitfire-jamma-streaming-solution.7200/
I think it's a 1,6 ossc.

Yes I'm using the VGA from the splitfire

just gonna go ahead and rule out the easiest solution first... have you tried adjusting the dials on the splitfire? one of them is sound, and the other is brightness. they almost always arrive with the brightness turned all the way down. give that a shot and let me know

Unfortunately the OSSC is the last upscaler you want to use for video capture. Capture devices are picky about the video format, and the OSSC doesn't even output 1080p.

I have all the HD upscalers except GBS Control, and I recommend the Retrotink 5X for capture.

Unfortunately the OSSC is the last upscaler you want to use for video capture. Capture devices are picky about the video format, and the OSSC doesn't even output 1080p.

I have all the HD upscalers except GBS Control, and I recommend the Retrotink 5X for capture.

I've had good luck with mine, but I use old capture devices and run at 720p. I like having two RGB inputs which my RetroTink 5x lacks. One (SCART) for SuperGuns and one (DB15) for JVS.

just gonna go ahead and rule out the easiest solution first... have you tried adjusting the dials on the splitfire? one of them is sound, and the other is brightness. they almost always arrive with the brightness turned all the way down. give that a shot and let me know
I've tried to turn it both ways, and I try to keep it in the middle range for every attemt.

I've tried running this setup before minus the Splitfire when it came to my Neo Geo. The OSSC is the problem I am 99.9% sure of it. I got around the OSSC by creating a GBS Control or if you're pressed for time a normal GBS 8200 will do the trick. I'm not sure what it is about the OSSC, but it does not play well with the Neo Geo unfortunately. Your capture card should not be the problem.

I've tried running this setup before minus the Splitfire when it came to my Neo Geo. The OSSC is the problem I am 99.9% sure of it. I got around the OSSC by creating a GBS Control or if you're pressed for time a normal GBS 8200 will do the trick. I'm not sure what it is about the OSSC, but it does not play well with the Neo Geo unfortunately. Your capture card should not be the problem.
The thing is, Eric at Birdland (the maker of the splitfire) and he got it to work with the same setup and settings, minus the capture card. Idon't know what capture card he used.
That's why I believe it could work with another caprure card.

The thing is, Eric at Birdland (the maker of the splitfire) and he got it to work with the same setup and settings, minus the capture card. Idon't know what capture card he used.

I guess the obvious question would be if you can get it working without the capture card. Just see if you can get HDMI output from the OSSC and the check what the output resolution etc is to try and match it with a capture card that works. I'm really lazy and so use old direct to USB stick capture devices.

Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/166344217237

I like them because they support 240p via component cables, so it's easy to capture older systems. I've had no issues running things from supergun > ossc > capture box > Vewlix arcade cabinet. Likewise I've run 15-31khz output from a JVS system (Naomi etc) through the same setup without any problems.

1707912821405.jpeg1707912859286.jpeg

Of course the capture card matters a lot. Folks have been documenting this:

https://videogameperfection.com/forums/topic/capture-card-compatibility-report-thread/

The OSSC is so hit or miss for capture. Unlike the Framemeister and newer devices, the OSSC is literally a line multiplier, so it lacks any mode to replace the sync with a standard sync. Not to mention the resolution issue once again.

I've just tried it with a really old
I guess the obvious question would be if you can get it working without the capture card. Just see if you can get HDMI output from the OSSC and the check what the output resolution etc is to try and match it with a capture card that works. I'm really lazy and so use old direct to USB stick capture devices.

Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/166344217237

I like them because they support 240p via component cables, so it's easy to capture older systems. I've had no issues running things from supergun > ossc > capture box > Vewlix arcade cabinet. Likewise I've run 15-31khz output from a JVS system (Naomi etc) through the same setup without any problems.

1707912821405.jpeg1707912859286.jpeg
I've only had the chance to try it with a really old monitor, and that didnt work. Just a black flickering screen, like it tried to get signal, but failed. At a fraction of a second the game image actually showed tho. But I should fo course try with a different monitor and see what it does.

Of course the capture card matters a lot. Folks have been documenting this:

https://videogameperfection.com/forums/topic/capture-card-compatibility-report-thread/

The OSSC is so hit or miss for capture. Unlike the Framemeister and newer devices, the OSSC is literally a line multiplier, so it lacks any mode to replace the sync with a standard sync. Not to mention the resolution issue once again.
Yeah, I've read that hole thread... Seemes like hit or miss, like you said.. I've ordered a Elgato HD60S and gonna try it out asap. Framemeister seemes awesome, but I don't think I can afford one rn.

I've just tried it with a really old

I've only had the chance to try it with a really old monitor, and that didnt work. Just a black flickering screen, like it tried to get signal, but failed. At a fraction of a second the game image actually showed tho. But I should fo course try with a different monitor and see what it does.

An old VGA monitor? That will be expecting separate horizontal and vertical sync while the output from the Splitfire will still be RGBS with a single sync signal I think (it may split it out, not sure honestly).

Edit: looks like the NAC is still outputting composite sync only.
https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...a-streaming-solution.7200/page-33#post-294561

Last edited:
Yeah, I've read that hole thread... Seemes like hit or miss, like you said.. I've ordered a Elgato HD60S and gonna try it out asap. Framemeister seemes awesome, but I don't think I can afford one rn.
That's the device I have. It won't work in 1080p mode, but may work with the OSSC set to 2X output.

OSSC works great with a Datapath E1S. Have captured MVS many times with that combo.

If the OSSC isn't syncing to the mvs, the capture card has nothing to do with it. It would be worth sanity checking by directly outputting to a tv or monitor from the OSSC though.

Ignore my bad reading comprehension. The ossc doesn't change sync frequency, so a lot of displays don't like it when it's not as close as possible to 60hz (59.97). I would recommend a more modern display that's capable of freesync/vrr to sanity check. They tend to be more tolerant.

Last edited:
Back