What's new

Would you be interested in buying an N64 to Aleck 64 Cartridge Adapter?

• Total voters
I'm super excited to try this thing out.
I designed a cart housing that is free to download on thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5407426

IMG_20220609_213910328.jpg

it includes both a normal cart back as well as a version specific to the N64 adapter.

Also just like my other cart housing designs each half is also able to mate with the opposite half of an original cart housing.

IMG_20220606_192857381.jpg

TEXAS HERE. I just got mine in. Works great. I did test a cheap multi-cart ( ED64 Plus) and it does not boot on the Aleck64. FYI.

Got mine the other day and tested it today. It seems that most games I've tested don't work. However, I can't confirm it's a dirty cart issue, or a CIC issue. Surely all of the games that do not work don't all have dirty contacts... (I try to keep my carts clean!)

I think that if Krikzz can figure out why Everdrives don't work (Possibly a CIC issue?) then using an Everdrive is obviously the way to go here.

Tested not working:
Donkey Kong 64 US
Hoshi no Kirby 64 JP
Super Smash Bros. US
GoldenEye 007 US
Pilotwings 64 JP
Mario Tennis US
Ocarina of Time (1.1) US

Tested working:
Majora's Mask (US)
F-Zero X (US)
F-Zero X (JP)
Magical Tetris Challenge feat. Mickey (JP)

I also wanted to add this opinion:

Now that I've tested and seen what games look like on a cab through this board, I can confidently say: Don't go out of your way to get this for a JAMMA N64 solution. The video quality is not that great. It looks like Seta used a crappy MAX232 for amplifying the RGB video to TTL levels. It's still quite dark and you may have to turn the contrast knob way up on your arcade monitor.

You would be a lot better off simply using a consumer N64 (RGB modded of course) and a console to JAMMA adapter of some sort.

I'm still very grateful for Brizzo for tackling this project. I can at least test my Aleck board that came with no carts! But I think now that I've tried it, it's going back on the shelf. :)

I also wanted to add this opinion:

Now that I've tested and seen what games look like on a cab through this board, I can confidently say: Don't go out of your way to get this for a JAMMA N64 solution. The video quality is not that great. It looks like Seta used a crappy MAX232 for amplifying the RGB video to TTL levels. It's still quite dark and you may have to turn the contrast knob way up on your arcade monitor.

You would be a lot better off simply using a consumer N64 (RGB modded of course) and a console to JAMMA adapter of some sort.

I'm still very grateful for Brizzo for tackling this project. I can at least test my Aleck board that came with no carts! But I think now that I've tried it, it's going back on the shelf. :)
I'd like to see comparison shots using the same game when you get a chance (N64 RGB VS Aleck64). It looks good to me.

The stereo output is a little low. I think the board may need an external amp. I am not sure.

Thank you, Yosai but they're expensive if compared to Tops Game in Japan. I wonder if there is other less expensive source and located in US.
Just curious did you see a CP on tops? I'm seeing the pcb but not the panel. All gone now I guess?

Looking good! I need a card pcb :)

Just curious did you see a CP on tops? I'm seeing the pcb but not the panel. All gone now I guess?
It's only 1 left when I bought the panel from tops. You can submit an inquiry asking them if they're going to have more in the future. Last 1 or 2 months ago I saw one listed at yahoo auction Japan. Maybe it'll show up again there in the future. Maybe check with @Joko3 if he knows any arcade shops in Japan carry this panel.

Hi All,
I set up my NNC cab with Aleck 64 panel and motherboard and tried both original cartridges and EverDrive for 64 X7. Thank you @brizzo for making this N64 adapter.
For original cartridge, most of time I couldn't get it to boot up but the control panel worked well. I just needed to switch between 3D Analog or Digital joystick for some games to work properly.
For EverDrive, have no problem booting it up. I only had 1st time not booting up. I did have problem with the control panel when I connected for 2 players. The controls won't work so I can't select any games. But no problem when I only connected 1 player. For buttons, not all games allow you to remap buttons, it would be better if I can remap buttons for all games.
I noticed the picture quality of Aleck 64 games are better compared to N64 games. But some N64 games have nice picture quality as well.
Here are some pictures of the cab loading with Aleck 64 & N64 games using EverDrive:

PXL_20220823_033355993.jpg

PXL_20220823_033423311~2.jpg
PXL_20220823_040958710.jpg
PXL_20220823_040420184.jpg
PXL_20220823_040201566.jpg
PXL_20220823_040057926.jpg
PXL_20220823_035809346.jpg

Good work.

Now that is left is confirm if the console HDMI mods can work or not. If they can, then the board can effectively be "consolized". I used my last ultraHDMI kit on an N64 I need to sell 🤡

@skusuma Nice to see this confirmed working on the X7. Hoping I have the same, or compatible revision. Probably a longshot but I'm wondering if the 2 player and color issues might be solvable via hex codes for any games...

Last edited by a moderator:
@skusuma Nice to see this confirmed on the X7. Hoping I have the same, or compatible revision. Probably a longshot but I'm wondering if the 2 player and color issues might be solvable via hex codes for any games?
Everdrive 64 X5 probably will work but I bought x7 because it's out of stock at krikzz.com. I've never used Everdrive 64 before, I have to learn more about it. I'm not sure why it has problem with Aleck 64 panel if I connect 2 players.

Back