What's new
Hey guys. I've just recently got an Astro City and bought a Splitfire. I got a Startech USB3HDCAP and I've done the whole Micomsoft driver frig with the unsigned drivers which worked fine.

I could then capture VGA via an official Startech DVI to VGA converter, but ONLY part of the screen. I've tried changing all sorts of options in OBS to capture more than just the top left, but not success. It doesn't even display full capture in the Startech streamcapturepro software so it's not an OBS thing. Any ideas guys?

One thing I will say, is that it was a used device and didn't come with the included DVI to VGA adapter, but I did buy a genuine Startech one.

I've arranged to return this USB3HDCAP as it seems like it's a bit intermittent. Thanks for the heads up.

I've actually just found an older AverMedia native VGA card that is supposed to be able to capture 15khz. We'll soon see! Worst case, it's also got HDMI so I can then look at some type of OSSC device to do the upscaling if needed.

@Zepherino Nice one man! Gonna print this up today hopefully. You should post this in the 3D printing area of the forum as well.

I'm going insane now guys, I need help please.

I've tried both the AverMedia VGA/HDMI capture card, as well as a USB3HDCAP using the micomsoft drivers, and I just cannot get it to show in either OBS or AmarecTV. I've tried every setting, every resolution, nothing.

I have now also got an OSSC, which when set to VGA, it detects the signal at 269p and 15hz, but no matter what type of connection I use (DVI/HDMI/DVI to VGA etc.) I can't capture it.

The way it's set up, is that my Naomi goes to a Capcom I/O, I then have the splitfire coming off the Capcom I/O. The sound comes through perfectly to line is, and seemingly so does the VGA signal as the OSSC is displaying it fine.

Any ideas guys?

I'm going insane now guys, I need help please.

I've tried both the AverMedia VGA/HDMI capture card, as well as a USB3HDCAP using the micomsoft drivers, and I just cannot get it to show in either OBS or AmarecTV. I've tried every setting, every resolution, nothing.

I have now also got an OSSC, which when set to VGA, it detects the signal at 269p and 15hz, but no matter what type of connection I use (DVI/HDMI/DVI to VGA etc.) I can't capture it.

The way it's set up, is that my Naomi goes to a Capcom I/O, I then have the splitfire coming off the Capcom I/O. The sound comes through perfectly to line is, and seemingly so does the VGA signal as the OSSC is displaying it fine.

Any ideas guys?
have you fiddled with the brightness knob on the splitfire? also what pcb are you using, or are you trying to capture naomi

Last edited:
have you fiddled with the brightness knob on the splitfire? also what pcb are you using, or are you trying to capture naomi

I have, I've adjusted it either way and still nothing. Yes, I'm trying to capture Naomi. I've just tried plugging the HDMI into a monitor and nothing on that either.
The OSSC is displaying:

AV3: RGBS 269p
15.84Khz 58.90Hz

I've got the Naomi going to the Capcom I/O via VGA, then the Splitfire into the Capcom I/O, following by Jamma into the Astro. The game plays perfectly on the cab, just nothing past the OSSC.

It IS an older model OSSC, and it came with a DVI to HDMI adapter that seems to work ok. I've tried many of the settings on the OSSC too, including setting all to passthru.

Be careful with the Micomsoft drivers. I seem to recall that it would cause havoc in Windows, although this was a long time ago and I could be wrong. IIRC there was something about it really liking to cause BSODs on Win7.

Since you have an OSSC, you don't really need a 15khz capable capture card since you can just have the OSSC line double to higher resolutions. The only trouble is that arcade boards tend to be pretty finicky, as you're finding out right now. For the Naomi, I would skip the Splitfire, use a good quality VGA splitter, and connect a VGA cable directly from the splitter to the OSSC (the other splitter head goes to the Capcom IO to give your cab video).

From there, I personally use a Magewell USB HDMI Capture Gen 2 (on ebay for ~$70 used), which should give 4:4:4 60fps at 720p. I've also used cheaper USB 2.0 based capture cards at 4:2:2/4:2:0 30FPS with success such as the Genki Shadowcast and the similar generic stuff all over Amazon/eBay.

I've captured CPS2, Neo Geo, and Sega System C2 so far without issue. I have a Naomi which I can also try to capture with an OSSC when I have time. The SNES has been an unusual struggle with my setup due to jitter issues.

Is there any other boards you want to capture, or just Naomi?

Be careful with the Micomsoft drivers. I seem to recall that it would cause havoc in Windows, although this was a long time ago and I could be wrong. IIRC there was something about it really liking to cause BSODs on Win7.

Since you have an OSSC, you don't really need a 15khz capable capture card since you can just have the OSSC line double to higher resolutions. The only trouble is that arcade boards tend to be pretty finicky, as you're finding out right now. For the Naomi, I would skip the Splitfire, use a good quality VGA splitter, and connect a VGA cable directly from the splitter to the OSSC (the other splitter head goes to the Capcom IO to give your cab video).

From there, I personally use a Magewell USB HDMI Capture Gen 2 (on ebay for ~$70 used), which should give 4:4:4 60fps at 720p. I've also used cheaper USB 2.0 based capture cards at 4:2:2/4:2:0 30FPS with success such as the Genki Shadowcast and the similar generic stuff all over Amazon/eBay.

I've captured CPS2, Neo Geo, and Sega System C2 so far without issue. I have a Naomi which I can also try to capture with an OSSC when I have time. The SNES has been an unusual struggle with my setup due to jitter issues.

Is there any other boards you want to capture, or just Naomi?

Thanks for the quick reply! You know, I was just wondering about coming direct from the Naomis VGA, but didn't think of using a VGA splitter! I wonder if it's the Capcom I/O in conjunction with the Splitfire causing havoc. I can get quarter of a picture to capture in OBS if i connect the VGA directly to my capture card, but not the full screen.

Good idea. What VGA splitter would you recommend?

Regarding capturing other things, I'm getting a Mister at some point, and I believe I'll then need an irkenlabs jamma also, after the splitfire. For now though, getting this naomi captured would be great!

Ok, so the OSSC was showing 268p or 269p. I just disconnected the VGA and reconnected whilst running live, and it's now showing 537i on the same setting! I think it might be this damn Capcom I/O at this point buggering the signal, even though audio is perfect on the line in.

I think you're on the money with the VGA splitter!

I have, I've adjusted it either way and still nothing. Yes, I'm trying to capture Naomi. I've just tried plugging the HDMI into a monitor and nothing on that either.
The OSSC is displaying:

AV3: RGBS 269p
15.84Khz 58.90Hz

I've got the Naomi going to the Capcom I/O via VGA, then the Splitfire into the Capcom I/O, following by Jamma into the Astro. The game plays perfectly on the cab, just nothing past the OSSC.

It IS an older model OSSC, and it came with a DVI to HDMI adapter that seems to work ok. I've tried many of the settings on the OSSC too, including setting all to passthru

why not just split the VGA ?edit: oops too late response

MiSTer capture should theoretically be easier because you can manipulate and force different resolutions and refresh rates, so there's less worry about unusual video signals (without modifying video settings, I would imagine whatever issues you get would be similar to real hardware).

For a splitter, I would search for the cheapest used Extron branded model on eBay. They may be chunky, but Extron stuff is pro grade quality all they way down to the cable, and relatively affordable when buying used. The super cheapo, wire only splitters that you can get for a few bucks are not recommended, as they will severely affect image quality, on top of darkening it.

I'll fiddle around with Naomi capture after work tonight, since I haven't really tried it myself.

MiSTer capture should theoretically be easier because you can manipulate and force different resolutions and refresh rates, so there's less worry about unusual video signals (without modifying video settings, I would imagine whatever issues you get would be similar to real hardware).

For a splitter, I would search for the cheapest used Extron branded model on eBay. They may be chunky, but Extron stuff is pro grade quality all they way down to the cable, and relatively affordable when buying used. The super cheapo, wire only splitters that you can get for a few bucks are not recommended, as they will severely affect image quality, on top of darkening it.

I'll fiddle around with Naomi capture after work tonight, since I haven't really tried it myself.

So now the OSSC is showing RBGHV with VGA connected directly to the Naomi I/O (currently no display on my cab, to be expected) but i'm still getting the same issue! It's capturing the top left quarter of the Naomi only, whether that's direct through the OSSC or direct to the Startech USB3HDCAP. That's using either HDMI or DVI :(

The detected resolution is 640x245P at 60FPS in the CY3014 USB configure video settings. This eliminates the Capcom I/O and splitfire from being the issue then...

Try 480p, skipping the cab, to keep it as simple as possible. It should be Naomi 480p > VGA cable > OSSC > Capture Card > PC. 480i might not be playing nice with your capture card (probably this) or the OSSC, but lets make sure with an easier resolution first. Resolution switching should be a dip switch setting on the Naomi.

I'm at work for another 3-4 hours, so it'll be a while before I have my hands on my own Naomi and gear to try.

I can verify with my own setup that what I discussed should work. I was able to capture video for both 480i and 480p directly from the VGA port on the Naomi, as well as through a VGA splitter.

One important thing to note is that the OSSC seems to have a bit of trouble syncing correctly to 15khz (~537i) every once and a while. If you flip between the line multipliers, it should eventually be able to correctly interpret the interlaced signal, instead of seeing it as ~268p.

I didn't capture much footage in game because Naomi is a giant PITA and takes forever to load games.

Pictures shown in order: 480p capture, 480i capture, and 480i with a splitter to capture card and another display. In your case, the secondary display would be your arcade cab instead. I was too lazy to drag all this mess into my Astro City for a quick test.

IMG20230502200049.jpg
IMG20230502200422.jpg
IMG20230502201415.jpg

So now the OSSC is showing RBGHV with VGA connected directly to the Naomi I/O (currently no display on my cab, to be expected) but i'm still getting the same issue! It's capturing the top left quarter of the Naomi only, whether that's direct through the OSSC or direct to the Startech USB3HDCAP. That's using either HDMI or DVI :(

The detected resolution is 640x245P at 60FPS in the CY3014 USB configure video settings. This eliminates the Capcom I/O and splitfire from being the issue then...
What profile are you using for ossc. i use the dreamcast from firebrandx and it worked smoothly for me

http://www.firebrandx.com/OSSC/OSSC - Sega Dreamcast - Toro VGA Optimal Timing.txt

I can verify with my own setup that what I discussed should work. I was able to capture video for both 480i and 480p directly from the VGA port on the Naomi, as well as through a VGA splitter.

One important thing to note is that the OSSC seems to have a bit of trouble syncing correctly to 15khz (~537i) every once and a while. If you flip between the line multipliers, it should eventually be able to correctly interpret the interlaced signal, instead of seeing it as ~268p.

I didn't capture much footage in game because Naomi is a giant PITA and takes forever to load games.

Pictures shown in order: 480p capture, 480i capture, and 480i with a splitter to capture card and another display. In your case, the secondary display would be your arcade cab instead. I was too lazy to drag all this mess into my Astro City for a quick test.

IMG20230502200049.jpg
IMG20230502200422.jpg
IMG20230502201415.jpg
Thank you so much for doing this to try help.

My OSSC is the older version that has a DVI port on it. Here's an image of what it displays when using a VGA cable directly from the Naomi itself

I once got it to show 537i, but it keeps flicking between 268 and 269p, which explains why my OBS sometimes shows only quarter of a picture :( So are you saying that unless I see 537i, I won't be able to capture any signal from the OSSC, so just keep flicking on/off until I see 537i?

Could this be down to the long VGA cable I have purchased? It is an Amazon one, but a good quality one with good reviews. I did notice that pin 9 is missing from the grey VGA cable that runs from the Naomi to the Capcom I/O, but if I'm taking the signal direct from the Naomi to my OSSC, a standard cable should be ok, right..?

Attachments

• 20230502_205923.jpg
    20230502_205923.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Try 480p, skipping the cab, to keep it as simple as possible. It should be Naomi 480p > VGA cable > OSSC > Capture Card > PC. 480i might not be playing nice with your capture card (probably this) or the OSSC, but lets make sure with an easier resolution first. Resolution switching should be a dip switch setting on the Naomi.

I'm at work for another 3-4 hours, so it'll be a while before I have my hands on my own Naomi and gear to try.
Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob with the Naomi as I've just got it ;) Is this done physically on the device, or can it be done from the power supply buttons and GUI?

Back