What's new

Kujako

Champion
Reaction score
Working on getting my Namco setup, all's well but I see diagonal wavy lines in the 15khz output. Is this common, or do I have a problem?

I'm pretty sure when set to 15khz mode the 2x6 will switch between 240p and 480i modes (just like its console cuz PS2).
If your monitor don't play nice with 480i, I could see this as being a potential cause?:huh:

Could be your vga cable, are you using video out from the jamma I/O board or direct vga output from the system?

Also could be a problem with a blown diode on the Namco motherboard which could be leaking AC interference into the video lines. Most if not all (but one) of my Namco system 246 B systems have video interference issues. This happens usually because the system has been underpowered or overpowered on the 5v rail or even has been power shorted at some point and the diode acted like some sort of power protection. My Namco system 246 C and 256 don’t suffer from this “symptom”.

Could be your vga cable, are you using video out from the jamma I/O board or direct vga output from the system?
Running it through a Naomi Capcom IO board (which only shows this issue with the 246, using the same cabling as when I use my Naomi etc). Running it off a Naomi power adapter with a pico ATX power supply. Measuring the correct voltage when I check. Will try my 256 and see if I get the same issues.

Running it through a Naomi Capcom IO board (which only shows this issue with the 246, using the same cabling as when I use my Naomi etc).
The Capcom IO is known for outputting lower voltages, you can't run a Net/GD-DIMM equipped Naomi with one for example (only carts).
Don't rule out power/amps until you've used a "real" Sun/other proper JVS power supply, just my 0.02$ (aka Capcom IO sucks monkey dick).

The Capcom IO is known for outputting lower voltages, you can't run a Net/GD-DIMM equipped Naomi with one for example (only carts).
Don't rule out power/amps until you've used a "real" Sun/other proper JVS power supply, just my 0.02$ (aka Capcom IO sucks monkey dick).
Not powering it via the Capcom IO, just using it for the IO. Powering it using a pico ATX 160watt PSU through a ATX to JVS adapter to a JVS to Namco adapter.

Do you have a pic of what your monitor is displaying?
Not currently... hard to capture in a picture. But I'll see what I can do.

Dimm, either GDROM, Compact Flash or net booting.
Huh, I really doubt power is related to your problem then... A Naomi with NetDIMM is at least equal to the demands of the 2x6 (if not greater).
Soon as I read anything "Capcom IO" related I'm quick to jump to that concussion (I owned one too and power was a pain in my ass). ;)

Huh, I really doubt power is related to your problem then... A Naomi with NetDIMM is at least equal to the demands of the 2x6 (if not greater).
Soon as I read anything "Capcom IO" related I'm quick to jump to that concussion (I owned one too and power was a pain in my ass). ;)
Yeah, don't think it's power either... probably just the 246. Tried booting the 256 I have, and I don't see the issue there (but it's one of the Time Crisis 4 models that can't run in 246+ mode). In general, the video out of the 246 seems to be questionable. Most units I've seen are dim, etc. May try 31khz mode, but I don't have a VGA CRT around so will have to use a LCD, which may not show the issue regardless.

Yeah, don't think it's power either... probably just the 246. Tried booting the 256 I have, and I don't see the issue there (but it's one of the Time Crisis 4 models that can't run in 246+ mode). In general, the video out of the 246 seems to be questionable. Most units I've seen are dim, etc. May try 31khz mode, but I don't have a VGA CRT around so will have to use a LCD, which may not show the issue regardless.
Yes, try a vga lcd monitor, sometimes the issue can show up on an lcd. From my experience, the 246 b does have issues with video interference.

Yes, try a vga lcd monitor, sometimes the issue can show up on an lcd. From my experience, the 246 b does have issues with video interference.
Had to turn on composite sync to get the VGA monitor to pick up the signal, but I did get it running. Much less noticeable, but I think I still see it. Picture is much brighter than at 15khz, and it looks like the "noise" for lack of a better word is happening at a higher rate making it less obvious (which would make some sense as I more than doubled the signal rate going from 15 to 32khz).

Think I may have to sell off the two units I have and get a 256(B).

Last edited:
Think I may have to sell off the two units I have and get a 256(B).
There is no such thing as a 256 (B). It’s either a regular 256 or what you have, which is a super 256. As for the Namco system 246, there’s the 246 (A/Driving) which is the first revision and its huge, the 246 (B), which is the most common and the most universal one, and 246 C which is the last revision of the 246, it’s looks like a 256, and it’s the most durable.
I provided some photos of the Namco system 246 revisions:
The first two are the Namco system 246 driving pcb.
The second is a Namco system 246 (A) board.
The third is the Namco system 246 (B) board.
And the last is a Namco system 246 (C) board.

Attachments

• 2B82AEDC-682D-469C-BD5E-EA83A43162D3.jpeg
    2B82AEDC-682D-469C-BD5E-EA83A43162D3.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 206
  • CE6FC986-AE62-415D-9A8E-88AF6769A899.jpeg
    CE6FC986-AE62-415D-9A8E-88AF6769A899.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 282
  • 56DDE79F-9538-4D60-8144-15B0C57F397F.jpeg
    56DDE79F-9538-4D60-8144-15B0C57F397F.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 196
  • D632CE0A-E7CF-4004-8BA9-700F32EA12DF.png
    D632CE0A-E7CF-4004-8BA9-700F32EA12DF.png
    612.5 KB · Views: 164
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 156
I got my 2x6 from my buddy who had already tweaked it out...
Anyway yea I got the smaller looking one with a toggle switch (up = 246/down = 256).
Dk8QaQU.jpg

No issues with it, and I prefer this more compact size.
I don't have that @brizzo multi/rewritable Memory Card device tho...
Being that I already own originals for my three fav games (TekDR/FJam/SoCal3) I figured I'd skip it.

I would love to replace that disc drive with something solid state however, just not looking to spend a fortune doing it. :/

I got my 2x6 from my buddy who had already tweaked it out...
Anyway yea I got the smaller looking one with a toggle switch (up = 246/down = 256).
Dk8QaQU.jpg

No issues with it, and I prefer this more compact size.
I don't have that @brizzo multi/writable Memory Card device tho...
Being that I already own originals for my three fav games (TekDR/FJam/SoCal3) I figured I'd skip it.

I would love to replace that disc drive however, just not looking to spend a fortune doing it.
I know a great cheap dvd drive to get that is compatible with every game. The dvd drive I recommend is the LG GSA-H55N dvd drive.

Working on getting my Namco setup, all's well but I see diagonal wavy lines in the 15khz output. Is this common, or do I have a problem?

Have you tried using shielded VGA cable with the ferrite cores? The ferrites can help with external interference.

Have you tried using shielded VGA cable with the ferrite cores? The ferrites can help with external interference.
Yup. Also tried different IO boards including a Namco one.

Back