What's new
If it happens, I'll take one!

If it happens, +1 me because the system has good games.

I'd buy one if it ever happens. it's definitely a system ripe for a multi. maybe @Hammy would be interested in looking at it once he's done with the NA boards. I believe it uses a similar KeyCus for security.

Honestly I'm surprised we haven't got a more fully featured System 1 multi yet other than that 4 in 1.

System 1 boards are at least obtainable, System 2 boards are M72 levels of difficult to source these days.

I'd buy one if it ever happens. it's definitely a system ripe for a multi. maybe @Hammy would be interested in looking at it once he's done with the NA boards. I believe it uses a similar KeyCus for security.

Honestly I'm surprised we haven't got a more fully featured System 1 multi yet other than that 4 in 1.

System 1 boards are at least obtainable, System 2 boards are M72 levels of difficult to source these days.
Back to m84 for me when NA is over.

You bring this up like you can actually buy System 2 boards :P
Yeah this too! not had one since 2006 LOL

well ain't that funny you bring this up since I looked at System 2 all day : I finally opened up the EMI enclosure on my assault to take a look at the board today.

nice protection!
IMG_1437.jpg

this closes up the box and moves the jamma connector on top
IMG_1433.jpg
\
top view
IMG_1434.jpg

bottom (clean!) view
IMG_1436.jpg

nice touch where you can adjust the sound tremble, bass and balance !

IMG_1439.jpg

Seeing Assault Plus is just a rom swap, I found two 27512 that I hoped would do the job, erased,burned and checked successfully but nothing on boot...putting back the originals (AT2MP0B and AT2MB1B) and she's booting up fine.

Metal Hawk was probably cool with the proper rudder.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a shmups guy but assault is superior to Dragon Saber.

and hey, there's one in memphis: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragon-Saber-Arcade-Circuit-Board-PCB-NAMCO-Shooting-Game-/183843438443

Last edited:
Patching Namco System 2 game is very easy, more or less it's the same protection of System 1.As said, the big problem is obtain the right compatible VIDEO board.Attached are a couple of patched ROM sets I prepared time ago, please use them for personal use and don't abuse!

Attachments

• Dragon_Saber(Japan)_patched_program_ROMs.zip
    99.9 KB · Views: 207
  • Phelios_patched_program_ROMs.zip
    93 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Thank you @caius When using these patched games do you still need A KeyCus installed or can it be removed?

Well after trying other 27512 : success!
IMG_1483.jpg

a lot of changes in the game!

...and I've been playing Phelios and dragon saber and ... they are growing on me! :love: I'm sure they would be great in the egret2 :whistling: but changing all these roms and jumpers... :cursing: might wait a while ... a multi would indeed be nice !

I understand the conversions need a specific video board. In the mid-right area of the video board, some boards have ROMs, and others (like the one pictured) have a board plugged into it.

Any idea what it could be for, and if it is needed for specific conversions?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200104-123013.jpg
    Screenshot_20200104-123013.jpg
    937.9 KB · Views: 371
  • Screenshot_20200107-010551__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20200107-010551__01.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 353
Let me ask this here. Is it possible to make these conversions for these derivative systems? system16.com/hardware.php?id=526
yes and no. some of those games can be converted to each other, but there are a few different versions of the graphics chips on these boards so you need a donor that has the same type of graphics as your target game.

this little chart will tell you the major differences:
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/namcos2.cpp#L125

Hey everyone. A friend and I are trying to convert a board to Valkyrie no Densetsu. I'm at the point where I need jumper settings.

Does anyone own the actual board that could send me some clear pictures. I can't seem to locate any online.

The jumpers are used to select between EPROM pinout and 28-pin maskROM pinout. If you are converting a game it's always going to be in EPROM pinout mode:

CPU board jumpers looking at the board right side up with the jamma connector on the left:
JP67:left
JP60:up
JP66:down
JP68:down
JP88:left
JP86:left
JP80:right
JP87:left
JP15:left

Video board jumpers looking at the board right side up:
JP8:left
JP7:right
JP6:right
JP5:right

JP3:left
JP4:right
JP1:right
JP2:left
If you are using maskROMs on a video board from a legit ROM set all 8 jumpers will be reversed.

Last edited:
Back