What's new
TIFU: So I got a couple of M27C160's, only to find that they have too many legs for my EPROM writer.... really should have checked if I can burn them before tracking them down. Does look like adapters exist (TL866II USB programmer), but I may need to track down more current software to drive it.

Edit: Looks like there's an open source software set now "MiniPro" that these adapters are intended to be used with. So to the ebays for to buy an adapter kit!
I have one of those adapters for my TL866. It does work. But it is ridiculously tedious.

TIFU: So I got a couple of M27C160's, only to find that they have too many legs for my EPROM writer.... really should have checked if I can burn them before tracking them down. Does look like adapters exist (TL866II USB programmer), but I may need to track down more current software to drive it.

Edit: Looks like there's an open source software set now "MiniPro" that these adapters are intended to be used with. So to the ebays for to buy an adapter kit!
I have one of those adapters for my TL866. It does work. But it is ridiculously tedious.
Yeah, doesn't seem ideal but seeing as I already have the M27C160's it's discard them or build an adapter. Getting a new/better burner isn't an option I want to pursue.

:(
TIFU: So I got a couple of M27C160's, only to find that they have too many legs for my EPROM writer
Which state are you? Update your profile if you don't mind.

I'd say adapter is the way to go.

Yeah, doesn't seem ideal but seeing as I already have the M27C160's it's discard them or build an adapter. Getting a new/better burner isn't an option I want to pursue.
Right, I wasn't trying to talk you out of it. Just issuing a warning. Burning one chip a year with the adapter is doable without going insane. ;)

:(
TIFU: So I got a couple of M27C160's, only to find that they have too many legs for my EPROM writer
Which state are you? Update your profile if you don't mind.
I'd say adapter is the way to go.
California (profile updated accordingly). Yup, the adapter seems like a good item to add to my tool drawer. Going to get the parts for one and build it myself I think. Slight confusion still about the TL866 vs TL866ii+ in terms of software support. The former seems to use "MiniPro" while the later uses "xgpro". Functionality appears to be the same, but download speeds from China seem poor. Trying to get the latest version of both, as what I have is years out of date (last thing I burned was UNIBIOS 3 I think....).

Edit: Success, got the latest build of the Tl866ii+ software (Xgpro v10.37) and updated the firmware on my flasher. Now just need the adapter bits and some time with a soldering iron.

Last edited:
There's been a lot of development with the Naomi bios lately. Has this code been merged with the other recent multi bios update ?

Assuming this is the one that we went through a couple of days worth of testing? :)

I've kept it installed haha

If anyone needs a chip burnt/reburnt in Brisbane, or Australia. Just holla.
Likewise, if there's anyone in Sydney that needs it.. give me a yell. I think I have a couple of spare chips left..

Last edited:
If anyone in the States has a spare, I'd happily buy one. I've yet to get a multi to work with my DIMM installed.

So I put together said adapter for my TL866ii+, am I understanding correctly that the ROM image must be broken up into 512k chunks and four write passes have to be made? That is tedious indeed...

So I put together said adapter for my TL866ii+, am I understanding correctly that the ROM image must be broken up into 512k chunks and four write passes have to be made? That is tedious indeed...
That is correct. Now imagine using the adapter for to write 27c322 chips.

That is correct. Now imagine using the adapter for to write 27c322 chips.
Doing one would be simple enough, but I'd hate to do anything in bulk. Using the open-source file splitter to generate the 512k chunks, only regret so far is that I went with a dip-switch design on the adapter rather than a bank selector wheel. Ah well.

@mathieulh

I've just finished some testing on this bios. Just for reference.

I know these have all been tested before, but I wanted to put together a list of verified working files for standard joystick games, on the new multi bios image and then I'm going to make a WiPi v5 image download for ease of use. I'm not trying to invalidate anyone's previous testing work, I used a lot of it as a reference for my chart as well :)

HARDWARE:
Naomi 2 Motherboard - NAOMI 2 Multi Bios updated version from first post in this thread.
1GB RAM NET DIMM - Firmware 4.01
Sega REV B IO JAMMA board
Pi4 Netbooting with WiPi v5

BIOS WAS SET TO EXPORT REGION, if game didn't boot due to "not compatible with mainboard" error, i changed region to JP to test.

All of the games tested below are only games that work with a regular joystick. I removed all of the special IO games. (driving, analogue stick, gun games, trackball etc). So basically this is a test of all games that will work on a candy cab, using the roms from that Mega link that has them all on there.

There's basically 4 games that have issues. I can't confirm if those issues were present in the older version of the bios files, or if it's the rom files that are the cause but I can confirm that they are not working at the moment! It's very tedious for me to swap out bios files due to the way my setup is made inside the cabinet and has to be in the cabinet to reach all cables (i need to remove the whole setup to change bios, then put it all back in the cab each time...), so i couldn't confirm the 4 games with issues on different older bios version. I CAN confirm that all the games marked as working, are in fact working, i booted and short play tested each one. I loaded the game, credit up, and start a game and test controls. :)

NAOMI 1

- Akatsuki Bk Ausf Achse - WORKS OK
- Azumanga Daioh Puzzle Bobble - WORKS OK
- Border Down - WORKS OK
- Cannon Spike / Gun Spike - WORKS OK
- Capcom Vs. SNK 2 Millionaire Fighting 2001 - WORKS OK
- Capcom Vs. SNK Millenium Fight 2000 Pro - DOESNT WORK - Boots black screen(pretty sure it didn't work on the old version of multi either)
- Capcom Vs. SNK Millennium Fight 2000 - WORKS OK
- Chaos Field - WORKS OK
- Cleopatra Fortune Plus - WORKS OK
- Cosmic Smash - WORKS OK
- Dead or Alive 2 - WORKS OK
- Dead or Alive 2 Millennium - WORKS OK
- Doki Doki Idol Star Seeker - WORKS OK
- Dynamite Deka Ex - Asian Dynamite - WORKS OK
- Exzeal Shooting Love 2007 - WORKS OK - VERTICAL GAME
- Giant Gram - WORKS OK
- Giant Gram 2000 - WORKS OK
- Giant Gram 4 (Shin Nihon Pro Wrestling Toukon Retsuden 4 Arcade Edition) - DOESNT WORK - Boots the copyright screen, then the codec screen and then just shows black screen. - REQUIRES JAPAN REGION
- Giga Wing 2 - WORKS OK
- Guilty Gear X - WORKS OK
- Guilty Gear XX - WORKS OK - REQUIRES JAPAN REGION
- Guilty Gear XX Reload - WORKS OK - REQUIRES JAPAN REGION
- Guilty Gear XX Slash - WORKS OK
- Guilty Gear XX Accent Core - WORKS OK
- Illvelo - WORKS OK - VERTICAL GAME
- Jingy Storm - The Arcade - WORKS OK - REQUIRES JAPAN REGION
- Karous - WORKS OK - VERTICAL GAME
- Kurukuru Chameleon - WORKS OK
- Mamonoro - WORKS OK - VERTICAL GAME
- Mars TV - WORKS OK
- Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - WORKS OK
- Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (Unlocked) - WORKS OK
- Melty Blood Act Cadenza - WORKS OK
- Melty Blood Actress Again - WORKS OK
- Mobile Suit Gundam Federation vs. Zeon - WORKS OK - REQUIRES JAPAN REGION - SINGLE PLAYER ASSIGNMENT NEEDED IN SETTINGS
- Mobile Suit Gundam Federation Vs. Zeon DX - WORKS OK - REQUIRES JAPAN REGION - SINGLE PLAYER ASSIGNMENT NEEDED IN SETTINGS
- Musapeys Choco Marker - WORKS OK
- Noukone Puzzle Takoron - WORKS OK - REQUIRES JAPAN REGION
- Power Stone - WORKS OK
- Power Stone 2 - WORKS OK
- Psyvariar 2 - The Will To Fabricate - WORKS OK
- Puyo Pop Fever - DOESNT WORK - BLACK SCREEN
- Puyo Puyo Da! - WORKS OK
- Puyo Puyo Fever - WORKS OK
- Radirgy Noir - WORKS OK
- Radirgy - WORKS OK - VERTICAL GAME
- Project Justice (Rival Schools 2) - - WORKS OK
- Rhythm Tengoku - WORKS OK
- Sega Tetris - WORKS OK
- Senko No Ronde - WORKS OK
- Senko No Ronde Special - WORKS OK
- Slashout - WORKS OK
- Spawn - In the Demons Hand - WORKS OK
- Spikers Battle - WORKS OK
- Sports Jam - WORKS OK
- Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper - WORKS OK
- Shikigami No Shiro II / The Castle of Shikigami II - WORKS OK - VERTICAL GAME
- Super Shanghai 2005 - WORKS OK
- Tetris Kiwamemichi - WORKS OK
- Toy Fighter - WORKS OK
- Trigger Heart Exelica - WORKS OK - VERTICAL GAME
- Trizeal - WORKS OK - VERTICAL GAME
- Under Defeat - WORKS OK - VERTICAL GAME
- Virtua Athletics / Virtua Athlete - WORKS OK
- Virtua NBA - WORKS OK
- Virtua Striker 2 Ver. 2000 - WORKS OK
- Virtua Tennis / Power Smash - WORKS OK
- Virtua Tennis 2 /Power Smash 2 - WORKS OK
- WWF Royal Rumble - WORKS OK
- Zero Gunner 2 - WORKS OK
- Zombie Revenge - WORKS WITH ISSUE - CANT CONTROL JOYSTICK AT ALL?? I think this is supposed to be a normal joystick game?

NAOMI 2

- Beach Spikers - WORKS OK
- Virtua Fighter 4 - WORKS OK - REQUIRES JAPAN REGION
- Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution - WORKS OK - REQUIRES JAPAN REGION
- Virtua Fighter 4 Final Tuned - WORKS OK - REQUIRES JAPAN REGION
- Virtua Striker 3 - WORKS OK
These bioses are essentially version C and H bioses with the multi region code. It runs exactly the same. Anything that fails to run on these bioses will fail to run on the Sega vanilla C and H bioses.

For Zombie Revenge, set the controls to Analog.

Nice work @'Murray!

What would be very useful is if you could list the checksum of the image that you tested with, for example the md5 sum.

There are a lot of different versions floating about so this would eliminate "bad" versions.

Good suggestion @rtw -- there's quite a number of troublesome game binaries out there. Sometimes I had to download from three different sources to find a stable one.

Thank you for posting the hashes @Murray much appreciated.

Agree that the current naming scheme leaves a bit to be desired :)

Is the multibios based on rev B and G bioses or C and H?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Is there anyway to tell which version bios a Naomi is running?

Back