What's new
I am now on holiday until next year. I'll try to ship the PGM PCB orders out, then find some room to set up the MVS to continue testing this.
Did you get this to work Fluffy? I'd be happy to help (if I can), I have a bootleg copy of the game, an MV1B board and a supergun to test it out, my cabinet is back in Spain but with some time I could get to test it with that too.

Last edited:
Hmm... that project has really been sitting for long enough. I'll try to get a workbench set up, otherwise I'll just send out the PCBs I have for people to have a look at.

Does anyone have a chance of trying some code with the official 4p board?
This is a 7zip file in a zip file, it replaces the program ROM in ssideki2. I'd need a screenshot of the result.
Unfortunately I don't have a MVS flash cart, otherwise I'd prepare a suitable file... I'm using a Super Sidekicks 2 cart where I socketed all chips.

Attachments

• 061-p1_2.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Quick update, I misinterpreted how the CRE401 is used, which requires a new iteration of the PCB. The old PCB can be made to work, but it won't look nice.
I think I know where the remaining problems are from, but not to fix them, yet.

PXL_20240328_182359919.jpg

Removed the capacitors from the de-bouncing circuit, and this seems to match what MAME does... though the BIOS still doesn't see it. Do only certain BIOS revisions support the 4 player adapter?
(I'm holding the stick with the other hand. And each port is read twice so I can see if there is a delay in the change.)

Edit: Ah, looks like the MVS BIOS tests only dip-switches: https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=CONTROLLER_SETUP . Does anyone know if the version of Kizuna Encounter in a 161-in-1 contains the 4 player version? (i.e. does it work with a real FTC1B ?)

Edit: Looking at the Turfmasta video again, he uses a MVS with a Japanese BIOS?

Last edited:
Quick update: A test to get outputs directly from D0 on my 1FZ was not successful, though I didn't investigate too deeply. I ordered a NeoBiosMasta kit from eBay which should arrive next week, to test with Unibios.

I'd be willing to help with this if you need. I have an original copy of the game and mv1f, 1fz, 1b, 1c, 2, and 2f mobos with original bioses. I could test here or send any of it to you if it would help.

I would like to know:
- which board support the 4p adapter? https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=NEO-FTC1B_board mentions only mv1b and mv1c. Some boards with joypad ports could be made to work with an adapter.
- which bios versions do you have? https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=System_ROM
- does the hardware test in the bios show the 4p adapter, like turfmasta's video on page 1?
- does the game show the 4p mode independent of the bios?
- does the 161-in-1 version show the 4p mode?

sorry, I wasn't clear. I don't have the original adapter, just the game.

No problem, once I've got the bios adapter I can make some tests myself.

I would like to know:
- which board support the 4p adapter? https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=NEO-FTC1B_board mentions only mv1b and mv1c. Some boards with joypad ports could be made to work with an adapter.
I'd imagine official support for this board is based on the mobos that have have the output port. even if that port does supposedly have similar function to the joystick ports (though I'm not sure it's truly a 1:1) none of the official harnessing for the 4P board would work with the joystick ports anyway.

I'd imagine official support for this board is based on the mobos that have have the output port. even if that port does supposedly have similar function to the joystick ports (though I'm not sure it's truly a 1:1) none of the official harnessing for the 4P board would work with the joystick ports anyway.
It depends on if they route the "out" pins from D0 to the port, similar to an AES. No, the official harness won't support it, but if you can connect the Mahjong controller it should provide the correct signals and you could make an adapter.

My NBM arrived, and I was able to test this with the UniBIOS, and the game reports itself as 4 player version:

PXL_20240409_134816219.jpg

So far I've been unable to test an actual 4 player game, though... The best I get is 2 players against 2 AI, with one player playing the main char and the other the tag buddy on the second edge. Is there guide or manual for this? Are there any soft-dips to modify?

Never mind, I figured it out: You need to start both player 1 and player 2, after that you can turn the 1 player vs 2 player panels into 1+2 and 3+4. The extra players need to be tagged in so the alternative edge controls them.

Last edited:
Back