What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure Paradise Arcade takes PayPal. I assume DS is going to use them, or another distributor, and not sell them himself. Assuming you're in the usa

Pretty sure Paradise Arcade takes PayPal. I assume DS is going to use them, or another distributor, and not sell them himself. Assuming you're in the usa
Nope - I'm a Brit in the Netherlands. My company's IP is routed through Austria for some bizarre reason - hence why credit card companies get confused and block the transaction more often than not. Paypal really don't seem to care which is great!

I've ordered stuff from Stone Age Gamer in the past - but I believe Darksoft is also in Europe - so hopefully that means no nasty import duties and quite a fast delivery. Ordering this from the US means I'm going to be hammered on import duties - and I don't want that!

saveyourgames.it is the place to be for us Europeans ;)

At least if the MVS multi will have the same distributor as the CPS2 multi that is...

I've read with keen interest about overclocking the NeoGeo to help with slowdown. One of the videos I've seen shows that Metal Slug 2 can be improved but implies there is still some slowdown that can't be reduced with a different clock crystal because of the speed of memory used in the cartridge.

If this claim is true - will carts like Darksoft's be able to help with these sorts of supposed speed issues, and could the speed of the ram be overclocked through the software that controls the cart?

I've read with keen interest about overclocking the NeoGeo to help with slowdown. One of the videos I've seen shows that Metal Slug 2 can be improved but implies there is still some slowdown that can't be reduced with a different clock crystal because of the speed of memory used in the cartridge.

If this claim is true - will carts like Darksoft's be able to help with these sorts of supposed speed issues, and could the speed of the ram be overclocked through the software that controls the cart?
Ms2 has slowdowns because of poorly optimized code.

You can read in further detail here:
http://blog.system11.org/?p=1442

You just need to swap an eeprom with the new code and the game will run at a regular speed.

What is the difference between Max 330 Mega Pro-Gear Spec and Giga Power Pro-Gear Spec ?

from a purist point of view, I would expect that MS2 works in the Multi "exactly" the same as the original.

You can always manually hack the roms to match your personal preference if you like to (like the MS2 Turbo hack)

What is the difference between Max 330 Mega Pro-Gear Spec and Giga Power Pro-Gear Spec ?
Bank switching allowed SNK to surpass the original 330 spec. So 'Giga Power' is essentially marketing for larger games.
And AFAIK, unofficial games (Razion) have made it up to 1.5Giga power (1536Mb) so the neogeo still has potential for great titles :)

They changed the eyecatcher to announce that they have extended the ROM board specs. That is simply a market slogan, like SEGA's "blast processing".
The maximum theoretical ROM a Neo Geo cartridge can do without external banking is:

CHA512Y: 64Megabytes(512 megabits)CHR + 128KB FIX (1 megabit) + 128KB M1 (1 megabit) = 514Megabits
PROGBK1: 16 Megabytes (128 megabits)V + 8MB(64 megabits) P1+P2
514 + 192 = 706 (This is exactly the megs count for SVC Chaos)

The biggest game is KOF2003 with a meg count of 716Megabits. It has additional banking on FIX (fixed layer font) and M1 (music CPU ROM) so it can have more tiles for screen fix and more music data.

Theoretically it could hold much more than that much (706 megabits) as every bit added to the banking doubles the amount of addressable memory. But really the Neo Geo stopped there, with adding extra FIX and M1 banking.

They changed the eyecatcher to announce that they have extended the ROM board specs. That is simply a market slogan, like SEGA's "blast processing".The maximum theoretical ROM a Neo Geo cartridge can do without external banking is:

CHA512Y: 64Megabytes(512 megabits)CHR + 128KB FIX (1 megabit) + 128KB M1 (1 megabit) = 514Megabits
PROGBK1: 16 Megabytes (128 megabits)V + 8MB(64 megabits) P1+P2
514 + 192 = 706 (This is exactly the megs count for SVC Chaos)

The biggest game is KOF2003 with a meg count of 716Megabits. It has additional banking on FIX (fixed layer font) and M1 (music CPU ROM) so it can have more tiles for screen fix and more music data.

Theoretically it could hold much more than that much (706 megabits) as every bit added to the banking doubles the amount of addressable memory. But really the Neo Geo stopped there, with adding extra FIX and M1 banking.
Umm... could you be more specific?

:D

I don't see how I can be more specific. Neo Geo isn't like a SNES, Mega Drive or even N64 where the cartridge has a single bus.

Each stuff is put on a separated bus controlled by the chip specific to that function. I.E.: Graphics, text font, PCM data, main program, sound cpu program.

That was the major hold back for making a flash cart until recently.

Bank switching allowed SNK to surpass the original 330 spec. So 'Giga Power' is essentially marketing for larger games.
Extended M1 and a new FIX banking were implemented in the CHAFIO board (CMC 042/050 chips), which KOF2003 and others of the later games
use.

Only ng:dev.team stuff have actual bank switching outside of what LSPC/YM2610 and PRG buses could provide by itself. As aha2940 mentioned ng:dev.team have a game clocked at 1536Mbit.

Yes yes we all know the really easy stuff. We want details!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back