What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing came to my mind.To make the experience more authentic, it would be cool to have a dipswitch on the cart.If all the switches are on off position, you get the menu and stuff.Otherwise, you can input a code to directly start a certain ROM (following the binary code would be cool, so that, on an 8 dipswitch, putting 00000001 starts the first one, 00001000 starts the 8th one, 00001010 the 10th and so on).
that's actually a good idea...
Definitely a clever idea!

That's what some guys did with the 138 in 1 to get rid of the additional PCB:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...-using-a-dipswitch-Game-list-with-binary-code

I think it is great to directly boot on a game, like an original game, and I guess it can keep compatiblity with Unibios too.

I've actually dip-switched my 138-in-1 and that's why it came to my mind.

using an 8 way dipswitch you can address up to 255 games which is plenty, considering that the neo geo library has ~140 official games.

This is exactly what the STV Cartridge has. and it would save a lot of time not having to make a menu....

My two cents, but I'd still prefer a menu over a DIP switch, particularly as an MVS cab owner. It will save me from having to reference and memorize number codes, and also prevent me from having to awkwardly fiddle around in a dark cabinet to change DIP switches.

My two cents, but I'd still prefer a menu over a DIP switch, particularly as an MVS cab owner. It will save me from having to reference and memorize number codes, and also prevent me from having to awkwardly fiddle around in a dark cabinet to change DIP switches.
This, I would still prefer a menu.

Or

Have the 8 position dip switch and a header where a lcd+button board could be connected to choose games that way too.

with the ST-V multi you have more than enough cable to put the dip switch just inside the coin door.

I can't imagine the cable being shorter for the ng multi, if DS decides to go this route.

with the ST-V multi you have more than enough cable to put the dip switch just inside the coin door.
I can't imagine the cable being shorter for the ng multi, if DS decides to go this route.
Ohh if the dip switch was on a cable I wouldnt mind it then.

On screen menu > dipswitch

There are a myriad of serious problem with a dipswitch:
1. You need an on-screen menu to read the game order, or file-list print-outs
2. Every time you add/remove games, you are likely to change their order
3. What about files in folders?
4. What use is a dipswitch when the cart can just boot to the last flashed game? Novelty?
5. Requires physical access to the cart.
6. Adds cost, complexity, and confusion

Realistically I don't see anyone using a dipswitch unless there is no menu. If there is no menu and no external display, many people will lose interest.

While I would buy it if it used dips like the STV multi, I'd still prefer an on screen menu or even the LCD. While an LCD screen could take a fair amount of time to navigate, you likely still have to refer to a list of some kind for the dips, which is a separate hassle (imo).

Again, I'm not against a hardware solution like the previous multis, but would it be possible to build the hardware with a software menu in mind and allow others to program their own menus? That saves you the time from the software side of things, though I don't know how that plays in with what (additional?) hardware it would take to make work like that to begin with.

On screen menu > dipswitch

There are a myriad of serious problem with a dipswitch:
1. You need an on-screen menu to read the game order, or file-list print-outs
2. Every time you add/remove games, you are likely to change their order
3. What about files in folders?
4. What use is a dipswitch when the cart can just boot to the last flashed game? Novelty?
6. Adds cost, complexity, and confusion

Realistically I don't see anyone using a dipswitch unless there is no menu. If there is no menu and no external display, many people will lose interest.
Im pretty sure if it went the dip switch route there wouldnt be a filesystem to just put "files in folders". It would more than likely all be preflashed to the cart. If the dipswitch was on a cable, you wouldnt need physical access. Also the dipswitch would be cheaper, and less complex ( for the developer ).

Dont get me wrong, I still prefer a on screen menu over anything.

Dipswitch on a cable will be simply MAGNIFICENT on an AES :p

The STV multi allows for the dip switches to be on a cable which can be mounted in some convenient place, much like the LCD of the CPS2 multi. Same concept, really. From what I gather, the dip solution would replace both the on screen menu and the external LCD.

Darksoft would have to confirm, but I'd say the interest in the STV multi was fairly good (and continues from what I've seen), though I agree that a a good number of those who want a Neo multi would probably drop out if dips are used. Though I don't think it'd be a deal breaker for most.

Guys, why not both?

As I said before:

Dip switch with all the switches off -> on screen menu
Otherwise -> direct game boot

No one here wants just a dip switch without the possibility of having a menu.

Guys, why not both?

As I said before:

Dip switch with all the switches off -> on screen menu
Otherwise -> direct game boot

No one here wants just a dip switch without the possibility of having a menu.
Because of Darksoft's post - that's why I think it was interpreted as an either/or solution:
This is exactly what the STV Cartridge has. and it would save a lot of time not having to make a menu....
I see no issue with both and like the idea well enough. It gives solutions for a software menu as well as a simple hardware solution to boot a single game - definitely good when you're just binging a specific title :D

You could you make the card (with dips for example) and allow for the possibility to have a menu later.
Saves you the time now and who-ever-is-willing-to-create-a-menu can do it later.

The same worked great with GDEMU (now has a great menu) and RHEA (still has none afaik).
Set the DIP to 0 and boot that rom, which happens to be the menu.

As long as you leave a possibility for a menu to:
- let the card know which rom to boot (setting a bit in some nand/spi/flash (fast) or write an inifile with the right bit to SD (slow))
- reboot the card and ignore the HW dip

As you want to sell more cards; you just offer a free card to whomever creates the best menu (read: there will be many menu's appear and voila, people have choice). Both MVS and AES users are happy.

Regardless there will still be flash loading time every time you change the dips. The current plan (unless it changes for some reason) is to have enough flash memory for one game at a time on the cart. So it would work exactly like the ST-V cart does. Like Darksoft said, keep talking. Some of these ideas are very feasible.

As you want to sell more cards; you just offer a free card to whomever creates the best menu (read: there will be many menu's appear and voila, people have choice). Both MVS and AES users are happy.
I like that idea! Anyone wants to code a menu for 68k running on NEO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back