What's new
Fairy Tales is (was?!) undumped.
Thanks for the dump! It seems P1 is corrupted, can you try re-dumping as 27c4096?
Cheers!

Also for these 2 slot neo prints, one of the slots is for the "main cart" and the 2nd slot is for a "red label cart"
The "red label carts" are only add-on content and require a normal game in slot 1 to function.

Also for these 2 slot neo prints, one of the slots is for the "main cart" and the 2nd slot is for a "red label cart"
The "red label carts" are only add-on content and require a normal game in slot 1 to function.

Yup, don't have any of the red label ones as of yet but figured I'd get the dual slot board running first.

So wired power and RGBS and neither unit I have showed any signs of life. So either both of them are bad in the exact same way, or I'm missing something. May have to dust off the oscilloscope to check the RGBS output. Based on the wiring I have I'm operating under the assumption that right to left it's ground, red, green, blue, sync. But I couldn't detect any output. Fair chance I'm just doing something stupid...

@Mrhide when you got yours to fire up, did you have a control panel connected? I don't think these have an "on" switch, but you never know. Also, it looks like you have an s-video cable going to the output not the input.

Multimeter shows +5v at the CPU and pin 15 pulses a logic probe. So I think it's "on" just not getting output. All pins of the RGBS output are low.

Last edited:
Still searching for a service manual... no progress yet, moving the search to Japan.

@Mrhide when you got yours to fire up, did you have a control panel connected? I don't think these have an "on" switch, but you never know. Also, it looks like you have an s-video cable going to the output not the input.

Multimeter shows +5v at the CPU and pin 15 pulses a logic probe. So I think it's "on" just not getting output. All pins of the RGBS output are low.
I didn't try RGB output but from https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=Neo_Print , it is an output no? I use the s-video out to tv which should work right?

I didn't have a control panel plugged in.

It seems P1 is corrupted, can you try re-dumping as 27c4096?
added to the previous file, attached (ft_ep1_27c4096.bin)

appears worst when trying in mame?

Attachments

• fairy_tales.zip
    158.9 KB · Views: 20
I didn't try RGB output but from https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=Neo_Print , it is an output no? I use the s-video out to tv which should work right?

I didn't have a control panel plugged in.

The RGBS is labeled as output and my assumption was that it's for the main display (the harness cable I have is clearly for a standard 15khz CRT). But that could be totally wrong. Will try the s-video output (three of the four s-video ports are inputs).

"The video outputs are "genlocked" to the camera's video signal, no NTSC input means no output."

hmmmm I couldn't find 2 s-video cable so I didn't try the camera plugged it and the s-video out plugged in. will have to dig further to find said cable!

"The video outputs are "genlocked" to the camera's video signal, no NTSC input means no output."

hmmmm I couldn't find 2 s-video cable so I didn't try the camera plugged it and the s-video out plugged in. will have to dig further to find said cable!

Ah... that makes a ton of sense. Have to avoid flickering etc. Will try tonight or this weekend with the camera wired up.

Well, this is something... unfortunately I think I'm the "person in charge", and I don't know what to do next. It may be that it's looking for the printer. Booting without a cart shows the MVS style color quilt pattern, so no default service mode. With the cart it flashes a couple messages, then shows the video pass through from the camera before settling on this screen.

1709913074690.jpeg

Last edited:
perhaps "COIN: 3rd pin is the coin switch, active low, pull high. Causes an error before attract mode if left floating." ?

perhaps "COIN: 3rd pin is the coin switch, active low, pull high. Causes an error before attract mode if left floating." ?

I'll give that a try, as well as pulling the audio jack connector for the printer to low. The DIN8 connector is output only as I understand it, but there is a "ready" state signal the printer sends over the 3.5mm audio connector. The single slot board I'm testing with has that connector torn off, so just going to bridge the pins.

Also need to see if I'm getting anything from the RGBS output. Given that the s-video is mirrored, I'm wondering if the cabinet didn't combine the two signals in real time and just reflected the camera output onto the CRT.

Edit: Tried both boards, and they behave the same. A similar message is displayed when using a Japanese cartridge (but in Hirigana).

Last edited:
So looks like the "Call the person in charge" message is common, even showing up in Mame. Still looking into how to proceed. Found a manual in Japan, working on acquiring it.

in mame, when you get to "Call the person in charge", hit red-green-red-green (z,x,z,x) and that screen will go away and you can "play it".

"red and green" are OK and CANCEL:

CTRL: From the 6th pin: LEFT, RIGHT, OK, CANCEL, GND. Active low.

Wire some buttons and see if that works ?!

in mame, when you get to "Call the person in charge", hit red-green-red-green (z,x,z,x) and that screen will go away and you can "play it".

"red and green" are OK and CANCEL:

CTRL: From the 6th pin: LEFT, RIGHT, OK, CANCEL, GND. Active low.

Wire some buttons and see if that works ?!

Will try that, worse case I can just short all the input pins to ground if I'm not sure which pin is which.

Edit: the wiki has the controller pinout.
  • CTRL: From the 6th pin: LEFT, RIGHT, OK, CANCEL, GND. Active low.

Last edited:
Back