What's new
For Sale
The Red Label of Progear is amazing and leaves the OG in the dust IMO. It's my most played game on the multi for sure.
That is actually a good idea, completely forgot about this! Gonna try that also this weekend. Thanks :D

The Red Label of Progear is amazing and leaves the OG in the dust IMO. It's my most played game on the multi for sure.
That is actually a good idea, completely forgot about this! Gonna try that also this weekend. Thanks :D
In the pack on here there was an issue with the keys. But if you look around there's a link with the right version to use with the multi. Enjoy, it's definitely an upgrade to the original game in so many ways :)

In the pack on here there was an issue with the keys. But if you look around there's a link with the right version to use with the multi. Enjoy, it's definitely an upgrade to the original game in so many ways :)
I think SmokeMonster already fixed the packs by now, otherwise there should be a download link somewhere to the fixed version on my Mega account

I do not want to derail this thread but Phoenix/Avalanche editions of CPS2 are not equivalent to the encrypted versions.
This is one of the reasons why only encrypted game versions are allowed at tournaments.

To get the best experience invest in a Darksoft CPS2 multi and solder on the cables required to run encrypted ROMs.
I can't say for every game but decrypted games (not phoenix) not using RNG behave exactly the same. CPU core sees the exact same code.
For games with RNG one could argue the seed is based on values in ROMs, etc. But this hasn't been proved yet, fair enough decrypted games aren't allowed in tournaments.

Keep in mind there is a different for Mushihimesama Futari Black Label Japanese version and Another version. The Another Ver are a lot easier to get.
Also, people in this thread have mentioned the Akai Katana "Home Edition" which is different from just the regular PCB. The Home Version kit was only available through the Cave online shop, came with a miniature red sword screwdriver, and had a completely different version of the game (it has on board the ability to switch between the Red and White versions of the game, of which not many people have talked about the mechanics). That one is extremely limited, but the other one had about the same size print as the other later Cave games, somewhere between the amount printed of DFK1.5 and Muchi Muchi Pork. I'm assuming the Akai Katana you have is the regular version?
Price wise -- the Mushi Futari BL and AV are pretty much the same price in PCB stores out in Japan. Not really much of a difference. The regular version has sold multiple times recently on eBay for lower than a Black Label was going for from Yaton.
Akai Katana -- regular version is definitely one of the more expensive Cave games and trumps Muchi, Pink Sweets and DFK 1.5 on price, by a long mile. My guess is $3500-4000 USD for a bare PCB.

The Akai Home Edition doesn't rear its head often, anywhere, I would dread to even think the price.
FYI, TOPS just sold a bare Akai Katana PCB for 229 000 yens (but I think for once they undervalued the item). I'm aware of two Akai Katana full kits that sold in 2018 between collectors: one for 3000 Euros and one for 3500 Euros.

I made a spreadsheet that I shared with the guys on Cave-STG, but I feel like it could be useful here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...RNKxng57E0uhGMRwpSds6_pwg/edit#gid=1090420966

I'm fully up for any feedback on the spreadsheet if you guys have any. I pulled data so far from:
YAJ - I used YAJ's completed search function for each Cave title, which only goes back 4 months, to get the data from there.
ebay - Only looked at sold listings, and there weren't many.
Forums (shmups mostly) - I did a combination of scanning through the most recent threads (basically of 2018) from sales subforums, and then did a search for each title on shmups to get more data.
Very handy, wish I had this before I overpaid! :P

Sorry, I've deleted my posts and decided to not contribute to this thread anymore. Nothing personal but it's been proven time and time again that when it comes to anything to do with Cave PCB's there's ALWAYS more drama, speculation and politics than discussion about the actual games (which, at the end of the day, is all I'm really interested in).

Last edited:
I wouldn't pay too much attention to that spreadsheet. IMO it's a little all over the place.
I think you're completely missing the point of the spreadsheet.

Lets say I'm looking through shmups in MAME and decide to play ESP Ra.De for the first time... having never heard of the game before. I love it and decide I want to try and buy an original board.

You can check eBay and find someone selling one for $2500 and there are no other recent completed auctions or listings on forums... Is that a good price for that game? For all you know it's normally a $5000 game and that price is really cheap, or maybe it's a $500 and that price is way too high.

the purpose of a list is just to give you a point of reference for those who might not have a general idea of their value.

So that when you see a listing on Tops for $800 and you see that they typically sell on eBay and forums for $600-$700 you can feel ok with spending the extra $100 and know that it's valued appropriately. or if you see one for $400 know that you're getting a really killer deal.

The list is just Comps and it's exactly how EVERY USED ITEM in the world is properly valued, from used cars, to your house.

@xtrasmiley should add what he paid to the list, because now his purchase is a comp and relevant to the next person who wants to buy or sell one.

Can someone explain to me why everybody needs to break even, or even worse make a profit? Shouldn't it be the other way around? I buy something, I keep it for a while, it's objectively more used than it was before I bought it, shouldn't I be selling it for less than what I bought it for?

Or from a different angle, I live in Finland. I pay an extra 24% on everything that I import from outside the European Union. Why should the next buyer, say from Australia, pay for that tax?

I don't get it.

Can someone explain to me why everybody needs to break even, or even worse make a profit? Shouldn't it be the other way around? I buy something, I keep it for a while, it's objectively more used than it was before I bought it, shouldn't I be selling it for less than what I bought it for?

Or from a different angle, I live in Finland. I pay an extra 24% on everything that I import from outside the European Union. Why should the next buyer, say from Australia, pay for that tax?

I don't get it.
What's even more ridiculous is when people hound someone for selling their games "too cheap", thus de-valuing their own "investments".

This has actually happened before at shmups and made that person decide to only sell at KLOV.

I don't get it.
Who ever said anything about EVERYBODY having the need to break even? There is no right or wrong way to do/buy/sell anything. Me, personally, when dealing with games that have gone up in value since I bought them (say by $200-300), I like to consider a fair deal (to the community) in calculating my sale price that I at least recuperate my initial cost. But, hey, that's just me.
@nem, you personally can sell whatever you want for as high as you want or as low as you want. You can incorporate your initial costs, you can sell it at a loss, you can create your own rules and play by them... you can even create your own fictional arcade tax, and then add it to your invoice. Just do you man. Nobody is here saying everybody needs to break even or "make a profit", you may think that's not right, you may not "get it", but if somebody wants to do it, let them do it, if you don't like it, just don't buy into it. There's no rules, and we shouldn't feel a need to make rules.
That's fine and all, but when you're on the WTB/buyer side you may find less forum folks wanting to sell to you with that mentality.

Jesus Christ, what's with the deleting of posts.

Who ever said anything about EVERYBODY having the need to break even?
I know you didn't, I'm not putting words in to your mouth. It's just a practice that has become overly common in the last few years in this hobby. "I have this much money in to this thing that I played for six months, I want that money back plus also something for my troubles".

Jesus Christ, what's with the deleting of posts.

Who ever said anything about EVERYBODY having the need to break even?
I know you didn't, I'm not putting words in to your mouth. It's just a practice that has become overly common in the last few years in this hobby. "I have this much money in to this thing that I played for six months, I want that money back plus also something for my troubles".
I agree. Happens all the time, a community shouldn't be doing that but I digress. Unfortunately life a lot of times is a zero sum game. People love getting deals but not dishing them out.

It isn't uncommon to see people tacking on import fees/shipping, next person does it ad infinitum eventually reaching a point where we are paying $2 on a .69c tic tacs.

Guys, we're all friends here at A-P! The spreadsheet is awesome ookitarepanda, djsheep, thanks for trying to make feel better about overspending! I love the spreadsheet (wish there was one for all arcade games) despite the fact that I feel I did, and also, my purchases are all on there already (I'm the high one!).

:P

I don't feel bad, I like making my A-P friends feel like they got a great deal!

Last edited:
Back