What's new

CharGP02A

Student
Reaction score
Hey there,

So I have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ that has Emuiation Station+RetroPie in it. Currently runs fine with my SF II Arcade 1up with the USB encoders.

However, I was considering the following idea:

Getting a:
1. A Multi-JAMMA splitter
2. Something to hook the Raspberry Pi to JAMMA

I say this because my control panel is the JAMMA 56 pin standard and I don't want to mess with that. Currently, it's hooked up to a Namco System 256 unit. I'd like to get the splitter so I can keep the Namco plugged in but have multiple slots open for other boards and the Raspberry Pi. So with that in mind,

A. Is my idea possible?
B. What pieces of hardware do I need to buy?

There are a bunch of options but I haven’t played with any enough to know which is best. Sadly a lot of pi emulators that do rgb out require very old rom sets, so that’s a bummer for me. I don’t think any will be plug and play with your current front end or rom set because the video signal has to be handled differently for hdmi out vs jamma.

https://www.rgb-pi.com/
http://arcadeforge.net/Pi2Jamma-Pi2SCART/Pi2Jamma::248.html
One from aje_fr on neo-arcadia that you can’t get unless you know someone in France.
https://arpicade.com/

Last edited:
There are a bunch of options but I haven’t played with any enough to know which is best. Sadly a lot of pi emulators that do rgb out require very old rom sets, so that’s a bummer for me. I don’t think any will be plug and play with your current front end or rom set because the video signal has to be handled differently for hdmi out vs jamma.

https://www.rgb-pi.com/
http://arcadeforge.net/Pi2Jamma-Pi2SCART/Pi2Jamma::248.html
One from aje_fr on neo-arcadia that you can’t get unless you know someone in France.
https://arpicade.com/
Is there an option for continuing to use HDMI for the video but using the JAMMA for just the controls?

you can add an encoder so it comes into the pi as keyboard inputs. No experience doing that myself but here’s one I’ve heard people use

https://www.ultimarc.com/control-interfaces/j-pac-en/j-pac-jamma-interface/

Or a few options for just jamma to usb like this
RetroArcade.us ra-USB-to-Jamma-2 USB to Jamma Converter Board, emulates Gamepad, Interface to 2 USB pc Joystick Jamma mame https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7S4AER/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wMKREbVM578RM

you could also make something with like a zerodelay encoder (many sellers, search around) and a pb jamma board if you wanna diy for cheaper.

https://focusattack.com/pb-jamma-project-adapter-board/

Last edited:
You can try arpicade board. The video out is using HDMI (albeit 15khz) and the gpio is used for JAMMA. You can ask Dylan if he can simple make the image in a way it doesn't output to 15khz. You can simple bypass the DAC and plug it straight to you arcade 1up screen.

Edit: JPAC above might be a better option for DIY.

You can try arpicade board. The video out is using HDMI (albeit 15khz) and the gpio is used for JAMMA. You can ask Dylan if he can simple make the image in a way it doesn't output to 15khz. You can simple bypass the DAC and plug it straight to you arcade 1up screen.

Edit: JPAC above might be a better option for DIY.
Sorry, I mean that my current setup for the Pi has it in the arcade1up currently. I'm trying to move it out of the arcade1up and into a cabinet that has a television in it with an arcade control panel that's JAMMA.

What type of television is inside the cabinate? CRT / LED?

If its RGBS arcade monitor (CRT) arpicade is plug and play.

If its HDMI input JPAC is still better option, just bypass the video, plug in the HDMI cable directly to the television.

Both can be used for controlling the PI. But if you want to use the JAMMA harness to power your PI, better use arpicade or something like that, since JPAC doesnt provide power.

If its HDMI input JPAC is still better option, just bypass the video, plug in the HDMI cable directly to the television.

Both can be used for controlling the PI. But if you want to use the JAMMA harness to power your PI, better use arpicade or something like that, since JPAC doesnt provide power.
It's a standard LED tv

I have a power cable for the Pi already. So if you're saying that I can get that JPAC, use the HDMI for video, and just use the JAMMA for controls only, then that sounds pretty awesome. Does this also mean that I can just keep the image I currently have in the Pi?

Should I just grab the JPAC then if what I told suverman is how I'd want it?

Hello,

I strongy recommend you, to use RGB-PI or CRT Retropie (specially this last one) compilations for your Pi.

They support the cheap Jamma Pi adapter directly and output, an almost, in most of the cases, pixel perfect 15khz resolution.

Video, audio, controls, works and goes trought the Jamma.

If your cabinet uses a TFT/LCD/OLED, you can simply use the compilation for controls, and the HDMI output for the video.

Just plug the Pi into the Jamma adapter, burn the compilation to your MicroSD and you are ready to go.

Best regards.

Hello,

I strongy recommend you, to use RGB-PI or CRT Retropie (specially this last one) compilations for your Pi.

They support the cheap Jamma Pi adapter directly and output, an almost, in most of the cases, pixel perfect 15khz resolution.

Video, audio, controls, works and goes trought the Jamma.

If your cabinet uses a TFT/LCD/OLED, you can simply use the compilation for controls, and the HDMI output for the video.

Just plug the Pi into the Jamma adapter, burn the compilation to your MicroSD and you are ready to go.

Best regards.
To clarify, I don't have a CRT. It's just a regular LED 720p television that has VGA, HDMI, and Component outputs. I want to use the HDMI for the Raspberry Pi.

So with the RGB-Pi or CRT Retropie adapters, I can use HDMI and JAMMA? By compilations, do you mean a new Pi image? I currently have Emulation Station+RetroPie.

It's a standard LED tv
I have a power cable for the Pi already. So if you're saying that I can get that JPAC, use the HDMI for video, and just use the JAMMA for controls only, then that sounds pretty awesome. Does this also mean that I can just keep the image I currently have in the Pi?
yeah but remember JPAC uses the mame default button layout for keyboard. Unless you want to be frustrated get a printout of the buttons and already map them using your keyboard for all the cores and the frontend. Then it would be plug and play.

It's a standard LED tvI have a power cable for the Pi already. So if you're saying that I can get that JPAC, use the HDMI for video, and just use the JAMMA for controls only, then that sounds pretty awesome. Does this also mean that I can just keep the image I currently have in the Pi?
yeah but remember JPAC uses the mame default button layout for keyboard. Unless you want to be frustrated get a printout of the buttons and already map them using your keyboard for all the cores and the frontend. Then it would be plug and play.
How do I map using the keyboard? And by prinout, do you mean a print of the JAMMA pinout? I'm confused there.

So honestly, I never soldered anything in my life so I'm not sure I can go with the JPAC as an option.

JPAC has a jamma edge connector and screw terminals. No soldering needed (unless I'm missing something).

The downside with the jpac is that it does not have an audio in jack with a build in amp.. so you have to solder the audio part and add an amp if you want to have audio sound from the speakers. Blastcities and the types with build in audio left and right jack it is not a problem and perfect for a jpac..

I wanted audio and video to come from the HDMI, is that not possible without some soldering?

If your LCD TV has build in speakers then you are set for video and audio over HDMI and the pie should see the TV and set it self to 720p.

controls - if the control panel is jamma wire then a jpac will be what you need for controls but you will have to wire the 6 button to the jpac because most jamma hardness have buttons 1-4 and sometimes 1-5..

if your LCD TV does not have build in speakers then thing will be a bit challenging to get audio out.

If your LCD TV has build in speakers then you are set for video and audio over HDMI and the pie should see the TV and set it self to 720p.

controls - if the control panel is jamma wire then a jpac will be what you need for controls but you will have to wire the 6 button to the jpac because most jamma hardness have buttons 1-4 and sometimes 1-5..

if your LCD TV does not have build in speakers then thing will be a bit challenging to get audio out.
Yeah, my TV has built-in speakers so sweet. Are there instructions out there for wiring the 6th button?

Back