What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
So I've been on a kick collecting light gun games for a little while now. Target: Terror by Raw Thrills interested me because it's old enough to support JAMMA and 15Khz though I couldn't really figure out what one of these setups was supposed to look like because every picture of the "board" I found looked completely different. then I saw this for-sale post by @astro_zombie138 with a whole mess of parts https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/target-terror-parts-mmao.29386/

it seems he had similar issues sorting through this crap too and kept collecting parts until he figured out a working combination. After asking him a bunch of questions I just bought the whole lot of parts off of him so I could start to piece together my own setup.

What I bought:
A metal plate for all the parts to bolt to
20240324_205554.jpg

A Rev 1.8 IO board
20240324_171952.jpg

Watchdog device
20240324_210219.jpg

A USB Dongle and A LPT Dongle (astro_zombie kept the 2nd LPT Dongle)
20240324_172007.jpg

A BIOSTAR M7NCG-400 Mother board with CPU
20240324_172024.jpg

AMSIMS-7181 VER2.0 Motherboard with CPU and RAM
20240324_205436.jpg

2x MSI MX4000-T128 Video Cards
and a HDD with v1.34U software

While I waited for all that stuff to arrive I started digging into the research.

Software Versions
First and foremost this game goes by both "Target: Terror" and "Target: Force". There's also "Target: Terror Gold" and I would guess also a "Target: Force Gold". From what I can discern there's no difference between any of these games beyond the name. I've identified 9 unique software versions and all but the very earliest of these are labeled "Gold" and I believe the difference between "Terror" and "Force" is just the region the game was sold in. As for the 9 versions of software. that's likely because I've identified 14 different PC mother boards that this game shipped on. So I would guess that the software versions are really just adding drivers and support for newer PC hardware as the newer PC Mobos don't support the older software revisions. I've also heard that many of the mobos that I've classified as Gen 1.0 or 1.5 (I'll explain that later) will NOT work with the V2.12 and instead need an older V1.x software version.

The "Dedicated" Cabinet versions of the software seem to only support VGA resolution, but the "Kit" versions of the software support 15KHz and 24KHz in addition to VGA. I'm not 100% certain but I believe the software versions ending in "LIN" are the kit versions and the "D" or "U" versions of the software are for dedicated cabs.

Software Updates
The way Software updates work is you hook up a CD ROM drive to IDE2 and install an software "recovery" disc. The CD-ROM should be the primary boot device such that this update disc will then re-image the HDD on IDE1 from the disc. Kind of an interesting way to do it. and nice that you can basically install a clean HDD and use the disc to flash the game to it right on the hardware.

Documentation
Raw Thrills has 2 manuals available on their website,
the "Original" dedicated Cab manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ojxBmviNUXyF6osDP5h4Yed-tAvjHVHr/view?usp=drive_link
and the "Gold" conversion kit manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C0Z3KbNJV5ua4-mTi29qQaOTlWPwKQG_/view?usp=drive_link

There is also this document from Vision Amusements that list out various PC mobo, CPU and software combos for different Raw Thrills games including target terror: https://visionamusement.com/web_doc...e for Raw Thrills Microtel Computer Parts.pdf
It's a decent reference but it is incomplete, is missing some important info and has some conflicting info as well.

As a result I started putting together my own spreadsheet that I consider to be more useful by filling in some of the missing info: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Js209XfhIenUv6b7BNr4HPRWe3QusoRY4nEQvds0Lko/edit?usp=sharing

Hardware Generations and Variations
of the 14 Mobos I think there are 3 distinct "generations" the first generation use the "Socket 462(A)" CPUs, these boards usually used the MSI MX4000-T128 Graphics card. the next gen I call "Gen 1.5" used a Socket 754 CPU, Some of them used on-board video and some used a graphics card, and they needed version 1.38 or version 1.54 of the software to run. The last generation I'm calling "Gen 2.0" these all used Socket AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+ CPUs all but 1 of them used on-board graphics and they all require the last software version v2.12

From what I understand the v2.12 software requires BOTH the LPT and the USB dongle. Though I'm not sure how that works considering some of those Gen 2.0 mobos don't have an LPT port

I've identified 2 different revisions of the IO board. This IO board was actually used on a number of different Raw Thrills games however the firmware on U4 and U6 is unique to the game. I've found a Target Terror IO board that list "Rev1.8"/"Rev1.01" on U4 and U6, and another variant that lists "Rev1.9"/"Rev1.02" on U4 and U6. There's a post on KLOV stating that certain software versions only work with certain IO board revs. but I've not found any other evidence to support this.

How it's all hooked up
The Manual does a good job at explaining how all these parts connect together but I'll simplify it here:
The IO board is powered over JAMMA, and connects to the mobo via USB (for controls) and a 3.5mm audio cable (to amplify and pass through audio to the JAMMA Edge) and a VGA cable (for video).

The Mobo itself is not powered by JAMMA but rather an ATX style PSU... Technically it's an "SPX" power supply, which is a more compact form-factor for use in mini-ITX setups but otherwise the same.

As for the Watchdog device. This is completely optional. Basically this detects if the PC has frozen and "pushes the reset button". Supposedly this same device is used on a number of Raw Thrills games. It's got 3 connections. 1 connector goes to the reset switch header on the MOBO, it has a 4-pin molex connector to the PSU, and another 2 pin connector that needs to be spliced into the JAMMA harness with one pin to ground and other to Player 1 Coin Lock out. Basically it seems the IO board is able to detect a lock up (I would assume via the USB connection) and then triggers the P1 Coin lock to force a reset on the mobo. Why they didn't integrate this into the IO board, or at least provide a 2-pin header so you didn't have to splice into the JAMMA harness is beyond me. This makes sense in an arcade where the machine auto-resets if there's a problem. not really needed in a home setup though since you're not running it for hours unattended.

Guns are "Happ 45" style CRT guns and are hooked up to the IO board via two 4-pin headers.

Setting the resolution is done by the DIP switches on the IO board. The Manual does a very good job at explaining the appropriate dip settings. It also explains that during POST it will always be VGA and wont switch to lower resolutions until the OS loads the game software.

Dips on the IO board are as follows:
For VGA: DIPS 1-5 should be OFF
For 15KHz: Dips 1-5 should be ON
for 25KHz: Dip 1, 4 and 5 should be On and Dips 2-3 Should be OFF
Dips 6-7 are Unused and should be OFF
Dip 8 is related to the WatchDog circuit but seems like it should always be OFF regardless of whether or not you're using it.

My First Attempt at getting this all working
IMG_20240417_153956628_HDR.jpg

I started with the newer generation of the two mobos I received. bolting it and the IO board to the metal plate along with the hard drive. I grabbed an ATX PSU that I had but quickly realized it was far too large to bolt up to the plate. the original PSUs used by Raw Thrills ranged from 200W to 270W I bough this cheap but well reviewed 500W SPX PSU off of amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R5NN4FJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I did have VGA, USB and audio cables I could use, but I wanted to try to keep the wiring mess to a minimum so I also ordered
This 1.5ft VGA cable with compact connector: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C4XIOK?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
This 1.5ft Audio cable with right angle connectors: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BXXGWK42?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
This 1ft USB cable with right angle connectors: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B74DHJMC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Together all of those parts the board looked like this:
IMG_20240420_000634155.jpg

Troubleshooting so far
First Attempt at power on: IO board LEDs light up, no signal on monitor. CPU fan doesn't come on.
I'm assuming it needs the "power button" pushed. I found the manual for this mobo and identified the power button pins so I can hook up some wires to simulate a button.
Hooking up the power button and pushing it Causes the PSU to come on and the CPU fan to start spinning but otherwise no signs of life.
It's at this point I noticed that there is an additional 4-pin power connector on the other side of the CPU. so I hook that up.

Second Attempt: Pushing the power button I get a mobo beep and some video output of the POST! but it doesn't go any further than that.
Obviously the arcade setup doesn't need a power button so the BIOS is not configured correctly. The Manual actually has a great section outlining the appropriate BIOS configuration. So I hook up a key board and reconfigure the bios so that it automatically powers on, skips any errors (like no keyboard connected), and does the correct boot order (which should be CD ROM followed by HDD for software recovery), as well as some other settings. I save and quit but it still wont boot.

3rd Attempt: I tried rebooting after changing the bios settings. I don't need to use the "power switch" anymore but it's still not coming up.
At this time I notice that the HDD is registering as a slave instead of master on the IDE chain. This despite being in the master position on the cable. I notice that there is no jumper on the HDD and the diagram identifies no jumper as being the default for a slave device. I find a jumper and install it on the HDD in the correct position.

4th Attempt: the OS boots!
The mobo gets past post and the OS starts and displays a Target Terror background but shortly there after throws an error.
IMG_20240419_223854164_HDR.jpg

I'm not sure what this means. but I'm out of time for today and I'll be troubleshooting this more soon. I'm going to see if this Mobo needs the GFX Card, and if that fails I'm going to try upgrading to a newer software revision.

Last edited:
Testing so far today.
Using the video card didn't make any difference, I'm fairly certain this mobo is fine with the onboard video.

Since the HDD is software version v1.34U and I don't have a recovery disc for this specific version I grabbed another old hard drive to install some alternate software versions on.
Decided to start with the newest software and work backward.

v2.12LIN installed on the new HDD fine. though it takes about an hour to do a drive flash. On boot I only had the LPT dongle in and it gave me a missing dongle error. It would only make it past this Error if BOTH the USB and LPT dongles were installed. so I guess that confirms that this version needs both. After that though the "Now Loading Please wait" screen simply blinks to black every few seconds but sits there indefinitely otherwise.

I decided to try the next newest version I had which v1.54LIN. Again this took an hour to flash. and like 2.12 it didn't throw the gun.exe error, however this version through an "insert dongle" message no matter if I had the USB or LPT or both installed... so this was a bust. It would seem that there are different dongle variants too so that's another complexity here.

Next up I'm trying v1.38LIN

It's worth noting that neither v1.34U, nor v2.12LIN nor 1.54LIN ever switched the resolution to 15KHz despite my dips being set to do so. I'm not sure if it never booted far enough to change the resolution or if these versions simply don't support it.

Reactions: ack
V1.38LIN didn't work it halts on boot claiming it can't find the IO board.

However I had success with v1.34U. I have the game booting now on a fresh v1.34U image, it requires both dongles and the video card. (this is on the MSI MS-7181 VER:2.0 Motherboard)

Weirdly the same disc that installs v1.34U installs v1.38D. I believe "D= Dedicated" "U=Upgrade" and "LIN=Linux".

A few other lessons learned
The Installer simply formats the hard drive and copies over data. on first boot it configures all of the drivers based around your hardware. so if you change mobos or graphics cards you need to reformat the drive to update all of the relevant drivers.

I also learned that the order is like this
1. check for IO board
2. checks for Dongles
3. checks if the first boot flag is set (and installs drivers if it's the first boot)
4. checks the hard drive file system flag (and runs a file system check if it hasn't been done)

So far all of my testing has been done on my vewlix cab since it's setup for JAMMA and has a scaler, so because of this I haven't been able to test guns. One issue remaining is that I'm not getting any audio. the IO board seems to be amplifying just fine but there's no audio coming out of the Motherboard.

I did also try to boot the BIOSTAR M7NCG-400 motherboard but had no luck. the power supply kicks on when I push the "power button" but there are no other signs of life. there's some corrosion on the board around the FSB so this board might be toast :-/

Reactions: nem
If anyone else has this game can you do me a favor and get a screen shot of the "Version info" screen that appears during the boot process as well as which Mobo you're running. I'm trying to create a solid cross reference as to which mobo runs on which version of the software.

I decided to just go through all of the different software revisions that I have access to. the spread sheet has been updated with a bunch of information.
the cliff notes is that older versions of the software (identified with a D, U or b at the end) all run on Windows, and the newer software (identified by LIN at the end) run on Linux. only the Linux versions support lower resolution modes outside of VGA, and the older mobos are not supported by the Linux builds.

The "1.08b" version is the original "Target Terror". The "U" builds were "Upgrades" to go from Target Terror to Target Terror Gold. the "D" builds were for original Dedicated Target Terror Gold machines. and the "LIN" builds were used for both Newer Dedicated cabinets and Conversion Cabinets. I don't believe the LIN builds were designed for Upgrades at all as they don't seems to support older hardware. I also discovered that you can change the game from "Target Terror" to "Target Force" in the options menu, so there's no specific builds to differentiate them. the Dedicated builds and the original non-gold version don't seem to require the USB dongle, but every other build needs it.

I did play around a bit trying to see if I could get a build to run directly from the SATA header on the mobo instead of through an IDE to SATA adapter and was unsuccessful. the game itself seems to hard-coded for IDE.

As for my lack of audio. It seems to be an issue with my mobo. inspecting the audio section I'm actually missing a cap!
IMG_20240425_225601382.jpg

if anyone has a MSI MS-7181 mobo and could get the value of this cap for me it would be greatly appreciated! I haven't been able to find any reference images online with a clear enough picture of the cap to discern the value.

Reactions: nem
Hi, found the EC34 capacitor value at the motherboard service manual, page 21: C10U16EL, I would decode that as as a 10 uF 16V cap
Also got an almost discernible image of it, from a MSI MS-7142 photo, has a similar VIA VT1617A audio section
screensh.png

Attachments

• msi_ms-7181_rev_20_sch.pdf
    935.3 KB · Views: 6
I too am working through a mountain of parts and trying to get a working target terror. Thank you for your thorough postings. I have a v1.38d cabinet. I am wondering if you have any suggestions for me…

My issue stems from an irreparable monitor. Now I have been struggling to get a working video signal to a replacement crt-tv, a Sanyo ds27800.

I chatted with Astro zombie who said that v1.38d would not work with a crt tv.

So, I built a whole new computer (per specs) for v2.12 Lin. (Pic)

I have made a vga connector (pic) that connects to 5 pin molex from jamma edge of I/O. This does pass through video signal but it is degraded. Also, I found a jamma pass through board from Mr. Video JAMMA in Canada. (Pic) This potentiometer sync on-board adjuster was invaluable in getting any video output. The RGB pots don’t seem to have any effect. The pass through has both s-video and video composite outputs. These do not work when directly connected to tv. The only way to get an image on the crt tv is connected the pc onboard video vga to video converter (pic) and the s-video out to crt tv. This pic is normal and not blurry. If the vga cable routs through the I/o board the output is blurry. (Pic) This pic is on a vga monitor.

***Any video signal coming through I/o board is in an incompatible format. If the vga adapter from above (works when directly connected to pc vga out) is placed AFTER the I/o board, there is no signal to crt tv. There is a signal, but it is fleeting, distorted, and quickly replaced by the blue screen (no signal). This signal is only visible when switching inputs on the tv and only for approx 1 sec.

In addition, the new v2.12 Lin build freezes at the “loading please wait” screen. I have flashed 2 different HDD with two different ISO (2.12 Lin) images and same end result.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3136.jpeg
    IMG_3136.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3137.jpeg
    IMG_3137.jpeg
    347.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3138.jpeg
    IMG_3138.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3139.jpeg
    IMG_3139.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3140.jpeg
    IMG_3140.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 9
My issue stems from an irreparable monitor. Now I have been struggling to get a working video signal to a replacement crt-tv, a Sanyo ds27800.
what makes the monitor irreparable? unless you've necked the tube or completely burnt out a gun in the tube, generally any CRT monitors is repairable. Your best experience with this game will be on a VGA CRT. So a suitable replacement would be something like a WG D9200, or even a Wei-Ya tri-sync, or any other VGA capable CRT.

I chatted with Astro zombie who said that v1.38d would not work with a crt tv.
V1.38D will only work with a VGA CRT, it wont support lower 15Khz resolutions like a normal consumer TV

Could you tell me which model mobo you had that worked with V1.38D? Also you don't happen to have a V1.38D recovery disc do you?

I have made a vga connector (pic) that connects to 5 pin molex from jamma edge of I/O. This does pass through video signal but it is degraded. Also, I found a jamma pass through board from Mr. Video JAMMA in Canada. (Pic) This potentiometer sync on-board adjuster was invaluable in getting any video output. The RGB pots don’t seem to have any effect. The pass through has both s-video and video composite outputs. These do not work when directly connected to tv. The only way to get an image on the crt tv is connected the pc onboard video vga to video converter (pic) and the s-video out to crt tv. This pic is normal and not blurry. If the vga cable routs through the I/o board the output is blurry.
I can tell you right now that a CRT Light gun will not work if you're passing the video signal through a converter. the converter will jack up the sync signal and make the guns not track properly. you need to have native video out to the display for the guns to work.

In addition, the new v2.12 Lin build freezes at the “loading please wait” screen.
That's the same behaviour I expereicned when trying to run V2.12 on a mobo that was incompatible.

I would try V1.38LIN, V1.54LIN or V1.57LIN

Back