What's new

Neferio

Beginner
Reaction score
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3dscboewb63tte4/20161203_152329.jpg?dl=0 - this is my top piece but all of the trim ( top, left, right, bottom left and bottom right) is very yellow.

dropbox.com/s/5gkuppxth6x2rp5/20161203_204347.jpg?dl=0

dropbox.com/s/qeqid5e2v3nibzh/20161203_204354.jpg?dl=0

ive tried cleaning it in the tub with dish soap/goo be gone and have had no success at all

whats the best way to do it, should i try retrobrite or peroxide cremes, should i buy replacement trim, if so where at?

Last edited:
You need to take a pic of what it is not that upclose bud. I see some yellowing. You would probably be better of buying it new to be honest. Do you have a legit Taito Vewlix L or a china clone?

You need to take a pic of what it is not that upclose bud. I see some yellowing. You would probably be better of buying it new to be honest. Do you have a legit Taito Vewlix L or a china clone?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5gkuppxth6x2rp5/20161203_204347.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qeqid5e2v3nibzh/20161203_204354.jpg?dl=0

yes its legit, purchased from kcarcadegame. also updated the post header and initial post description to be more accurate

I can't see nothing? :(
@[SIZE=10][/size]weird idk why

Thats a tough one, I see what you mean with the yellowing.

If you use retrobright it might damage the gloss finish on the parts (which you might be able shine up with polishing treatment), might also damage the sideart decals, not sure. Its a tough call. You can try retrobright in a small spot and see how it works out.

If taito does still sell the plastic trims, it will be expensive. I just ordered a few things, the order came out to $1500. And there is the chance that they wont have the sideart decals.

The other option is vinyl/plastic paint from duplicolor. Gloss white I know it says vinyl and fabric, but it works just as well on hard plastic and the finish is super durable. You need to prep the plastic with an adhesion promoter

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

you might be able to use SUPER fine grit sandpaper and wet sand the yellow off, then polish it using the NOVUS 1-2-3 routine. I did that on a small plastic piece and it turned out great. sure would be a lot of work for that much plastic.

Perhaps test a magic eraser on a small spot and see how it does. Magic eraser is abrasive, however if you try it lightly, it might be enough to remove that layer of nicotine from those pieces. If not, you can try ordering pieces from these guys:
http://www.leshoparcade.com/fiche_produit_2607_produit_Vewlix-Fairing

But it appears out of stock at the moment.
yeah i emailed them and asked if their going to be getting any back in stock.

might try some of the other solutions that people posted above in the meantime.

Perhaps test a magic eraser on a small spot and see how it does. Magic eraser is abrasive, however if you try it lightly, it might be enough to remove that layer of nicotine from those pieces. If not, you can try ordering pieces from these guys:
http://www.leshoparcade.com/fiche_produit_2607_produit_Vewlix-Fairing

But it appears out of stock at the moment.
yeah i emailed them and asked if their going to be getting any back in stock.
might try some of the other solutions that people posted above in the meantime.
Whatever you do, post some results when you can.

Before you take any abrasive (magic eraser/sandpaper/whatever) to the plastic you could try this...

Rub the entire piece (use gloves) down with this stuff, use a nice thick layer and leave it to soak in the sun.
The UV light and peroxide combo SHOULD DO SOMETHING, no promises it will do enough to "fix" it completely.

Before you take any abrasive (magic eraser/sandpaper/whatever) to the plastic you could try this...

Rub the entire piece (use gloves) down with this stuff, use a nice thick layer and leave it to soak in the sun.
The UV light and peroxide combo SHOULD DO SOMETHING, no promises it will do enough to "fix" it completely.
people put that crap in their hair?

people put that crap in their hair?
Yes, basically the same stuff/active ingredient in retrobright.

basically the same stuff/active ingredient in retrobright.
You got it, Retrobright calls for about 15% hydrogen peroxide. This stuff is 12% without having to mix anything yourself.
Its also cheap as hell and comes as a gel solution, so I figured if it didn't work it wouldn't be a major waste.

I have actually used the hair bleach to take the yellowing out of a front bezel on a New Net City cab before. It does work, but make sure you wrap it with plastic after you apply it. It helps the peroxide be more effective. You may have to apply more than once to get the desired results.

Sadly, after a year the yellowing came back. It did look pretty clean when I first did it! I may get around to painting it one day.....

Back