What's new

Shinsengumi

Student
Reaction score
So the existing monitor in my E3 has burn and I am looking to replace it with a NOS Tosh PF that I recently acquired...

Looking at the existing monitor, it's not really on a frame at all, but two separate metal bars with the chassis on a shelf attached to the cab.

Looks like a new monitor will absolutely needed to be de-framed and installed on these bars if installed horizontal, but what about if vertical?

Perhaps this was meant to be my dedicated shmups cab... :)

Thanks!

Thx gamezer0!

I paid out the nose (shipping was brutal) but I am hoping it was worth it!!!

Anything crt-related is super expensive these days 😓 but surely it’s one of the most beautiful monitors I’ve ever seen! Wish I had one. Enjoy!!

Yeah, @gamezer0 is correct.

Those mounting brackets are a must to mount any monitor in the AWSD/E3 cabinets.

Then comes the matter of modifying your chassis bracket to fit your new monitor chassis, hence alot of the people who installed PFX's in theirs, getting brackets from @themisterfalcon recently.

I was lucky enough to get 3 NOS PFX's, and 2 of them went into my AWSD's.....it makes a world of difference to have them, or Tosh's, in place of those wei-ya monitors.

Thx again guys!

Not gonna lie, I am procrastinating big time on removing the original monitor from the E3 frame... With the E3/AWSD cabs having such an exposed neck, I worry about necking the tube for sure!

Modest burn aside, the monitor is still quite nice, so I def want to keep it and maybe use it in another cab....

With other candies I replaced or rotated monitors on, I would lay the cab on its back, lift the monitor directly up and then rotate or take out and then gently lay it on its frame. But without a proper frame thou on the E3, I imagine you want to rest the monitor on its face once you get it out?

The mental process of getting the cab on its back, lifting the monitor out w/o necking it and then rotating it 180 to get it on it's face is a little daunting.

Am I missing something here?

So the existing monitor in my E3 has burn and I am looking to replace it with a NOS Tosh PF that I recently acquired...

Looking at the existing monitor, it's not really on a frame at all, but two separate metal bars with the chassis on a shelf attached to the cab.

Looks like a new monitor will absolutely needed to be de-framed and installed on these bars if installed horizontal, but what about if vertical?

Perhaps this was meant to be my dedicated shmups cab... :)

Thanks!

You don't have to take the frame rails off to rotate it, the brackets("metal bars") work the same for horizontal and vertical orientation.

But you do need to remove the neckboard as the lead is generally rather short on it.

Once you remove the neck board, you can pull the tube straight out a few inches, rotate it, and place it back in.

You do not need to put the cabinet on its back. If you are not strong enough to rotate it yourself get a friend to help. I've been blessed with the most understanding wife in the world and she always helps me rotate my AWSD/E3 monitors lol

A general rule whenever swapping any type of frame on a monitor is to simply place it tube face down on something padded/soft to avoid scuffing, and remove the corner bolts one side at a time (e.g tilt it up and do the top, then tilt It the other way and do the bottom). I have swapped plenty of frame tubes and this is always the safest method.

I hope this helps you get some courage to do the swap as well as rotate as needed.

Best of luck!

Back