What's new

lukemorse1

Professional
Reaction score
I recently came across this Sega Camera PCB that had been heavily damaged especially crushed pins on the Spartan QFP and several caps snapped off the board.
I managed to repair/replace the damaged components with what I can only assume are the correct values but it is still a mystery for me as to what this pcb is.
I have no clue as to the pinouts nor what it goes to so I thought I would start a post here in hopes to figure this thing out.
After running the Sega number 837-14442 through a search it came back with nothing as to the machine it was a part of.
Wondering if anyone has seen this board before, what it might belong to, the pinouts etc?

Attachments

• IMG_20211102_124354.jpg
    IMG_20211102_124354.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG20211102124300.jpg
    IMG20211102124300.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20211102_124550.jpg
    IMG_20211102_124550.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 107
IC18 is a flash chip. Reading it could give a clue to what game it's from?

IC18 is a flash chip. Reading it could give a clue to what game it's from?
Thanks for that Nem,
I don't believe I have an adapter to read it but if I can find one, I suppose that may be the only way.

of course our friend has one… perhaps pictures to help you with the values?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165086206773
That's actually the one I received from a friend lol.
Since I haven't seen anything online about it, I thought that documenting it would be of some use for everyone.
As you can see in those pictures, the caps are completely missing in some parts and the large spartan QFP had crushed pins inward with missing ceramic caps on top. Damaged quite a bit.

thats far more than a camera on that board.
it's probably image processing for some type of VR input where you move your hands or a weapon in front of the cab

but it is still a mystery for me as to what this pcb is
in 2000x Sega did many games where players collecting sets of cards and then use them in games - put on the play table where special camera take shots and recognize player's cards. I've seen couple of such PCBs in the past and your PCB is one of these.
games list are:
World Club Champion Football series (NAOMI, Lindbergh etc)
Key Of Avalon series (Triforce)
Quest of D series (Chihiro)
Mobile Suit Gundam Card Builder series (Chihiro)
there might be more I'm not aware of

idk about that game

the interesting part of discussed PCB - it is not just taking photos, but also does analysis and OCR task, so basically it report to main game IDs of cards on the table. this is done on Hitachi SH-4 CPU (bigger chip with sticker on it)

thats far more than a camera on that board.
it's probably image processing for some type of VR input where you move your hands or a weapon in front of the cab
For sure. I thought the same thing at first, maybe a part from manic panic ghost but the numbers didn't register so I thought I would check here.

in 2000x Sega did many games where players collecting sets of cards and then use them in games - put on the play table where special camera take shots and recognize player's cards. I've seen couple of such PCBs in the past and your PCB is one of these.
games list are:
World Club Champion Football series (NAOMI, Lindbergh etc)
Key Of Avalon series (Triforce)
Quest of D series (Chihiro)
Mobile Suit Gundam Card Builder series (Chihiro)
there might be more I'm not aware of
Oh, fantastic!
I was losing my mind thinking about which games would work with it.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Does anyone happen to have a wiring manual at all I'm wondering?
The power inputs should be pretty straightforward for Sega Naomi stuff but the data transfer lines I'm unsure of.

idk about that game

the interesting part of discussed PCB - it is not just taking photos, but also does analysis and OCR task, so basically it report to main game IDs of cards on the table. this is done on Hitachi SH-4 CPU (bigger chip with sticker on it)
More excellent details here.
Many of these parts as well as service manuals haven't been documented yet and this is the first time I've come across this particular PCB.
Would be interesting to see if it is still functioning after all the damage and if it can be wired up properly.

Hopefully these added details can help others as well.

ok, found a bit of info - NAOMI WCCF uses 837-14229 / 837-14412 "IC BD FLAT READER" 2001 PCB, it is very similar but not exactly same, you may see it's photos there http://www.citylan.it/wiki/index.ph...European_Clubs_2005-2006_(Export)_(CDV-10027)
wiring: 837-14412 uses CN3 for power (GND, GND, +3.3V, +3.3V,+5V, +5V), CN5 for LED lights control, CN2 to communicate with main game board - wired to NAOMI CN7 Maple port

I'd guess your PCB for some of Triforce/Chihiro/Lindbergh games, which uses RS232/UART for main game board comms, but no idea using which CN - yours 837-14442 PCB have a bit different connectors arrangement

in either case, good luck in finding service manuals, I'm pretty sure you'll not be able to find one in the net. I think the only option to look at AYJ auctions for these games manuals and buy some of them if you'll have a luck.

ok, found a bit of info - NAOMI WCCF uses 837-14229 / 837-14412 "IC BD FLAT READER" 2001 PCB, it is very similar but not exactly same, you may see it's photos there http://www.citylan.it/wiki/index.ph...European_Clubs_2005-2006_(Export)_(CDV-10027)
wiring: 837-14412 uses CN3 for power (GND, GND, +3.3V, +3.3V,+5V, +5V), CN5 for LED lights control, CN2 to communicate with main game board - wired to NAOMI CN7 Maple port

I'd guess your PCB for some of Triforce/Chihiro/Lindbergh games, which uses RS232/UART for main game board comms, but no idea using which CN - yours 837-14442 PCB have a bit different connectors arrangement

in either case, good luck in finding service manuals, I'm pretty sure you'll not be able to find one in the net. I think the only option to look at AYJ auctions for these games manuals and buy some of them if you'll have a luck.
Thanks a million for looking into that MetalliC. I checked the link above and you are right, it does look similar for sure.
Maybe this will come in handy in the future but Ill scour some places around here and see if I can find a manual for it or whatnot.
Anyway, Great job on finding that extra information.

Thanks a million for looking into that MetalliC. I checked the link above and you are right, it does look similar for sure.
Maybe this will come in handy in the future but Ill scour some places around here and see if I can find a manual for it or whatnot.
mostly welcome.
good luck with manual, but the problem - you don't know for which game, and there are quite many games uses such or similar camera PCB. for example "Brick People" SystemSP game uses it too, 837-14867 variant.

I'd say it worth to dump flash ROM from it, and from dump it might be possible to identify source game, as well as preserve it for the future.

Back