What's new

Don’s Arcade

Student
Reaction score
Astro City located in a garage in Torrance, CA
Is it possible if someone could make a Super Street Fighter II Tournament Battle rom? I remember seeing videos of this but never ever playing it:

Or better yet if it is even possible, and I know people out there can do impossible things with the CPS-2, is if you can make a Tournament Battle Edition of Super Turbo/Grand Master Challenge. I could actually see the usefulness of this since there are a lot of CPS-2 Super Turbo tournaments out there all over the world. It's too bad that Capcom left out this feature in Super Turbo and it's only exclusive to New Challengers. If it was actually in ST it would be the ultimate dream.

mitsurugi is the expert on the tournament battle. You need special boards to link up 4 boards to play it. As for coding it, don't know.

If you play the Tournament carts on just 1 cab, they play like standard SSF2,
The magic doesn't start happening until you link 4 cabs together with 4 carts ;)

We had a thread about trying to make a Turbo version since there was evidence of a tournament mode in the Turbo roms. But it turned out it was very far from workable. Would take a complete rewrite of the game.

We had a thread about trying to make a Turbo version since there was evidence of a tournament mode in the Turbo roms. But it turned out it was very far from workable. Would take a complete rewrite of the game.
Sounds like Capcom might have considered it then scrapped it? I'm surprised they didn't make it for at least the Japanese market, 2X was always popular and still is.

Sounds like Capcom might have considered it then scrapped it? I'm surprised they didn't make it for at least the Japanese market, 2X was always popular and still is.
Yes they did, there is evidence of that in the code;
https://tcrf.net/Super_Street_Fighter_II_Turbo_(Arcade)#Tournament_Battle_Mode

probably scrappy the idea and moved on to make the alpha series.

The tournament battle roms have been dumped just no emulated support of the network adapter for the cps2.
There was plans for it on the original Darkstalkers and expansion of tournament for ST (League Battle with Round Robin) but probably cancelled how bad reception to SSF2 Tournament battle was. What's left for it on ST is the leftover code from SSF2.

Wow I'm a long time Street Fighter/Capcom arcade collector and player and it's just sad how Capcom has great ideas but they never follow through. This is just another example.

If only New Challengers was as fast as Hyper Fighting it would be a good game that everyone would like. If Super Turbo had Tournament Battle it would've been phenomenal even till this day. My friend is the main guy in charge of the Super Turbo revival scene in So Cal and if ST had Tournament Battle, we'd all be having a ball lol.

It just sucks that Capcom makes these glaring simple mistakes on some of their Street Fighter games. And I say this as a person who collects them all.

we can only hope there was a prototype for SSF2T containing a working TB.

Back