What's new

HornheaDD

Professional
Reaction score
Curious about something. Is there any kind of product that can connect to your JAMMA edge that you can manually adjust voltage?

The reason I ask is I have a Primal Rage PCB, and have to crank up the voltage on my PS so the board will run properly, but I also have other items like a MiSTercade, an RGBPi and an MGCD that I will occasionally swap into the cab. I want to avoid having to get on my knees and adjust the voltage every time I want to play something other than Primal Rage (which is very common for me).

I tried looking up JNX's Negatron to see what it can do but I'm not certain it can adjust on the fly. Does anyone know if anything like this exists?

Sorry if its a completely boneheaded question, I'm not too familiar with this type of thing when it comes to my cabs. I suppose I should be but this is the first time I've had to worry about voltage difference. I dont want to blow my MiSTercade up.

Maybe you could look into using a voltage regulator for 5v to try and keep it within a range (like 4.8v - 5.2v or sth). But honestly, just paying attention and getting on your knees regularly is what all of us are doing ;)

Btw, I think by default the Mistercade uses the 12v rails and converts that to 5v, so you should be good there, maybe @misteraddons can confirm this.

1659022101410.png

I guess I'm the only one with a dirty mind.

You could look at putting in a power supply with a sense line
This is the correct fix, an external sense line connected close to the PCB to detect the change in load and adjust the output voltage accordingly.

I did a little more digging and Pork did sort of answer my question in the MiSTer Discord. I say "sorta" because of my own understanding, not an incomplete answer from Pork, to be fair. I have a MiSTercade V1. The latest version (1.1) has a jumper as referenced in the changelog:
  • 5V jumper to toggle between cabinet 5V rail, and MiSTercade's 12V to 5V buck converter.
SO - that answers my question about the DE-10. If I am understanding correctly, the DE-10 in my V1 MiSTercade is protected and I have no worries about blowing the PCB there (if I am wrong, someone PLEASE let me know!)

My concern now is the MiSTercade itself. Will it be able to tolerate receiving a higher voltage without damaging the components?

Again this is my understanding and I could be way off, or even ass backwards. If anyone has any clarification I would be much appreciative.

EDIT: I heard from Pork via Discord (I never open that thing) and I am astute! I should be good to go and no damage to the MiSTer or the 'cade :)

Last edited:
Sorry for missing the ping, but yeah, 12V arcade rail is used to generate 5V locally to avoid under/overvolting the DE10-nano. This works in nearly every cabinet that I've seen (more than 500 at this point). I did add the jumper for MiSTercade v1.1 which gives the user the option of manually feeding 5V from the arcade 5V rail. Cheers :)

Sorry for missing the ping, but yeah, 12V arcade rail is used to generate 5V locally to avoid under/overvolting the DE10-nano. This works in nearly every cabinet that I've seen (more than 500 at this point). I did add the jumper for MiSTercade v1.1 which gives the user the option of manually feeding 5V from the arcade 5V rail. Cheers :)

No worries, thanks for confirming.

All good man! We spoke on Discord, so Im all set! Thanks again.

Back