What's new
I'm not gonna put words in Darksoft's mouth or anything on how he would do it, but all the projects so far have required a mobo or donor board (and have been fairly easy to source [stv, cps2, neo]), and while there are some incredible games on that Toaplan v2 hardware, I doubt there are enough donor boards out there to meet the demand. I think it would be a similar issue with a cps1 multi.

That could be a point. I just thought because i always see those games selling in a ms after they were put on the market. But if that's a problem to make a Multi Game without a motherboard people still need deep pockets :| .

Well, maybe some of these games can be found on eBay still: http://system16.com/hardware.php?id=967 should Darksoft consider doing a small run of a multi game PCB for it. His custom boards doesn't break original hardware, so converting a working Garegga or Batrider (in my case) is a no-brainer.

Wow holy sh*t! That would be teh most awesomeness multiboard ever :D. Would it ever happen that would be an instabuy!!

I'm definitely down for this especially since I've been lookin' for batrider since 2011 (when i first played it in japan) 100/10 would totally buy

I'm not gonna put words in Darksoft's mouth or anything on how he would do it, but all the projects so far have required a mobo or donor board (and have been fairly easy to source [stv, cps2, neo]), and while there are some incredible games on that Toaplan v2 hardware, I doubt there are enough donor boards out there to meet the demand. I think it would be a similar issue with a cps1 multi.
Totally makes sense, the only chance of this happening would be replicating the entire board, about the cps1 multi the main issue is A boards dying left and right and the skyrocketing prices of working kits

We're reaching a point where the most practical way would be designing something from the ground up, but then we'll need something to replace custom/out of production components (FPGA?), I really don't envy whoever will decide to take on this job :)

time for resurrect an old thread time. so how'd it go? possible? worth/not worth it in the end?

I worked on it few months ago, only few conversions are possible and only a couple are really interesting.

From my notes:
dogyuun <=> batsugun
kbash <=> pipibibi
kbash/pipibibi <=> v_five with some modifications in the sound code
pwrkick <=> othldrby
batrider <=> bbakraid
emmadaio <=> snowbro2 <=> truxon2
fixeight <=> mahoudai <=> shippumd <=> bgaregga

I've only confirmed kbash => vfive in MAME, others are just speculation after a first reading of MAME's driver.

Serious game over if this ever happens.

In the meantime, go play Mars Matrix.

Back