What's new

skusuma

Professional
Reaction score
Guys,

Recently I picked up a New Net City with Toshiba Pure Flat D29C051 monitor. I tested it and it worked fine but the contrast of red color is kind of more dominant than other colors. I guess it's a matter of adjusting red color contrast. After I opened the monitor case, I have these questions:
- The brown mark on tube area near the neck board (I red circled the area on 2nd picture). Can this cause issue to the monitor? I tried to wipe it off with isopropyl alcohol but it didn't go away. Not sure what it is.
- On 3rd picture, 1 metal piece is missing from the yoke. I'm not sure what it is and what's for but it's not a magnet. Can the monitor have an issue if this piece is missing?

Thank you in advance for your help.

PXL_20210318_222050692.jpg

PXL_20210318_222023906~2.jpg
PXL_20210318_222137031~2.jpg

I guess it's a matter of adjusting red color contrast.

That or red cutoff. You'll want to pick up the extended remote, with the standard remote you can only access very basic picture controls.

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/for-sale-new-net-city-extended-remote-boards.16560/

- The brown mark on tube area near the neck board (I red circled the area on 2nd picture). Can this cause issue to the monitor? I tried to wipe it off with isopropyl alcohol but it didn't go away. Not sure what it is.

Looks like glue. Don't worry about it.

On 3rd picture, 1 metal piece is missing from the yoke. I'm not sure what it is and what's for but it's not a magnet. Can the monitor have an issue if this piece is missing?

It's going to affect convergence. If you put up a crosshatch screen on the monitor, you can possibly see the white lines separating into red, green and blue lines in the top left corner.

Hopefully the problem is not a red cut off. I did picked up an extended remote pcb from DragonMinded.

It's a relief to know the brown mark is not going to cause an issue.

I see. I'll check the top left corner convergence once I reassemble back the machine. I diassambled it for a total cleaning.
Do.you know where.can I find this part if I need it later on?

When I got my NNC that part was also broken loose and was missing. Good thing I cleaned the cab before using it because I found that part just sitting loose on the monitor chassis. Give the monitor chassis a close inspection, you may get lucky and find it like I did. I think it does have some magnetic properties as nem said it will affect convergence on that one side. Also you can see the other ones around your deflection yoke have a white marking, I believe that is indicating the magnetic pole. If you do get lucky and find it, glue it back in in the correct orientation.

I did look for the missing piece around chassis but didn't find it.
Good to know about the white marking on the metal piece. There is another piece I glued back because it felt off when I touched it.

Guys,

Recently I picked up a New Net City with Toshiba Pure Flat D29C051 monitor. I tested it and it worked fine but the contrast of red color is kind of more dominant than other colors. I guess it's a matter of adjusting red color contrast. After I opened the monitor case, I have these questions:
- On 3rd picture, 1 metal piece is missing from the yoke. I'm not sure what it is and what's for but it's not a magnet. Can the monitor have an issue if this piece is missing?

Thank you in advance for your help.

PXL_20210318_222050692.jpg

PXL_20210318_222023906~2.jpg
PXL_20210318_222137031~2.jpg
Is that a crack in your second photo? ?(

I finally got the machine assembled back after full cleaning. During cleaning I moved the magnet rings and the picture became kind of blurry or convergence needs to be adjusted. So I adjusted the rings, geometry, red cutoff and etc (I have no idea what I was doing. I need to learn more about magnet rings adjustment for this type of monitor). End result, what shown on pictures are the best result I can get. For geometry, I couldn't get the top to align well horizontally. For color, I think the character when I played Street Fighter Zero 3 like Ryu, the color skin was a bit red. Not sure if putting back the missing metal piece and adjust the magnet rings correctly will solve these issues.
PXL_20210322_045046513.jpg

PXL_20210322_044648680.jpg

PXL_20210322_045058513.jpg

PXL_20210322_044956731.jpg

Last edited:
For geometry, I couldn't get the top to align well horizontally.

Top left corner is due to the magnet you're missing. It does seem to affect geometry quite a lot. If you have any magnets around the house, you could see if you can replace it with something else. Alternatively, scavenge one from a CRT that's headed to the tip.

Your green cut off is off. Turn that up.

This is great if putting back the missing magnet will fix the geometry issue. I don't have any magnets with the same size at home but I'll try to find one. I'll also try to adjust the green cut off.

Hello did you manage to find a workaround for the missing magnet ? I've just received a yoke with same problem

I had to use magnet from another same toshiba yoke.

Last edited:
The brown line on the glass of the neck is glue. I seen this on just about every single D29 tube I looked at NNC or not.
Its no harm just an artifact of the manufacturing process.

Back