What's new

Starcade

Student
Reaction score
Does anyone own one of these VS4 control panels with the card reader?

IMG_7452.jpeg

I am hoping to connect this up to the Triforce to unlock all the hidden features within the game. There’s no information in the game manual on how to connect card readers. I have a Triforce manual on order, the information might be in there, but it won’t arrive for a while. Can anyone help and show me all the cables and where they go please? I think I have them all but not 100%.

Thanks for the link. Have looked at the schematic and the reader PCB is a Sega 839-1233 on this panel and it has a different pinout to the one on ghost squad.

The long black wire harness connects to the Triforce motherboard. Some wires will connect to the JVS IO.

Show us what you have.

Here’s what I have. I have ‘added’ the 8 way JST connector and 5 way micro JST black lead on the PCB from another panel. What I don’t quite understand is the 8 way JST goes to the 2 player and kick harness connectors in the cabinet. Not sure what the card reader is going to gain or receive from going to 1 player or 2 player controls.

I can sort the analog control from the joystick no problem. For some reason I can’t upload images right now…..odd.

Thanks, that’s really useful. I might be a little stuck or may need to build my own harness because I own Blast City cabinets. Not sure how the Naomi cabinets deal with inputs and outputs to the Triforce. I would be using a Sega JVS to Jamma I/O. I have wired up the analogue inputs to it and will probably have to have everything else related to the card reader going to it also.

Still can’t upload photos, not sure what is going on there.

Ok, so I have the player 2 connector wired to the card reader PCB with four wires to it and I have the auxiliary (or kick harness) connector also wired to the card reader PCB with four wires to it. The player 2 connector will just be standard inputs and outputs to the Triforce on my Blast City I/O PCB to the Sega JVS I/O PCB, the kick harness will go to the Blast City I/O PCB but then there is no connection to the Sega JVS I/O PCB. There’s a header on the Blast City I/O (connector 8 ) from the kick harness connector which needs to be wired to the Sega JVS I/O with something. I am assuming that on a Naomi cabinet it’s all taken care of with the internal wiring of the cabinet and its JVS I/O board.

I think I need to look at what the Naomi inputs and outputs are doing and then compare, convert and replicate that from my Blast City I/O to the JVS I/O and hope it all relates.

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Blast_City_Wiring_Guide

I don’t own a Naomi cabinet but from what you have shown me earlier there are 5 connections and the ‘output’ connection on the Naomi cabinet for analog, player controls and auxiliary controls for each player and all these will be ‘wired’ to the Naomi JVS I/O. On my Blast City I only have 3 connections - one each player controls and one auxiliary. I am missing the analog and the auxiliary (connector 8 ) isn’t ‘wired’ to the JVS I/O.

Last edited:
They're all on the JVS IO. However, with the Sega JVS to Jamma IO there is a jumper that controls if you have additional buttons or outputs:

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/JVS#Sega_838-13683-93

I think you'll run out of buttons if you have it set to outputs. I guess you could try leaving Card lock disconnected?

I have a feeling that those extra inputs or outputs on the Sega JVS I/O will be handled on the same black connector or header that is taking inputs for the analog controls. That’s located to the left of the USB ports on the Sega JVS I/O. I have an analog harness that goes from connector 8 on the Blast City I/O to the Sega JVS I/O. Only problem is if I connect that up I can’t then wire up the analog joystick. I also have some weird conversion harnesses that could convert Naomi connections to Blast City connections.

Will do some digging but really appreciate the input from you.

Any chance while you have the reader out that you could take some quality pics of it :) Inside and out?

I have a feeling that those extra inputs or outputs on the Sega JVS I/O will be handled on the same black connector or header that is taking inputs for the analog controls. That’s located to the left of the USB ports on the Sega JVS I/O.

That's for analog only.

naomijamma.gif

The extra inputs / outputs are on the "kick harness" connector, CN3.

Any chance while you have the reader out that you could take some quality pics of it :) Inside and out?
I’m working away at the moment but when I get back I can do that.

Back