What's new
does the HAS provide 5A on the 12V line?
The HAS doesn't provide anything, your power supply does. 5A is a lot though. I suggest getting an external brick for it. Center pin positive, barrel outside diameter 5.6mm, inside diameter 2.5mm.

Last edited:
well, you could potentially repo the IO board now, or repair one where this chip had failed.

I believe some of the security is also handled here, which could be useful.

I resurrected my Examu Ex-Board by recapping the DC-DC power board. Now I get this screen on boot. Is the recommended procedure:
  1. Replace CMOS battery
  2. Enter Setup using password found in this thread
  3. Save defaults and exit???

Step 3 is where I'm not sure. What are the values we should be using?

Attachments

• IMG_9846.jpg
    IMG_9846.jpg
    653.8 KB · Views: 191
<p>
</p>Did you figure this out? I was wondering if I only have to do this once for each game.

Was wondering if I should post or not about my unit but I finally decided to. I bought mine from ebay, which I later found out that some people here had issues with the seller in the past. Guess I was fortune as it seems to be working just fine except it seems two out of the four left/right voice output terminals doesn't seem to work (the other two work but I think a recap will be in order to try and fix this). I bought the fans that CoolFox used although I don't know about two of the heat sinks he used. Later I'll hot-swap the mobo battery like nem suggested and might look into installing a case fan.

Attachments

• Exboard.jpg
    Exboard.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20210116_170904.jpg
    IMG_20210116_170904.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 149
Guess I was fortune as it seems to be working just fine except it seems two out of the four left/right voice output terminals doesn't seem to work (the other two work but I think a recap will be in order to try and fix this).

I want to say that's normal? I haven't used my unit in ages, so I could be wrong on this.

Hi,
I have a question about ex-board with daemon bride, does anyone knows if it Can be switched between 15 and 31 kHz ? I have only 15khz at home, and i'm not sure the board Can dispay on it.
Thanks

I've had the worst luck with Daemon Bride. Got the cart years ago, was bad about not starting up, sometimes it would, then it got to where it never did. Lost that one, got one a few years ago in a kit. Even it didn't always fire up the first try. Arcana Heart 2, starts EVERY time, no issues. I put the board away for a few years, pulled it out yesterday, now Daemon Bride refuses to work at all. Arcana Heart 2, yup, still works every time. So I'm curious if anyone in here and in the US would mind testing my Daemon Bride cart on your Examu board to see if it's my Ex-board that's the problem or the cart itself.

So, I wanted to do some more mods to the Ex-Board. I hate the original psu in the board, so I used a pico psu. You have to use a right angle adapter since the pico psu won't fit in vertically, move 2 caps and desolder one of the fan headers.

I also found out something that might solve a lot of these dead motherboard issues. (other than heat problems of course)

So the 12v from the ac adapter and the Jamma edge go to the exact same area, the switch in the back just turns one on and the other off.

Powering the board from the regulated AC adapter in the back, I get no problems, everything boots up fine. However powering the game from the jamma edge, I smell something burning and I notice a transistor on the bottom of the motherboard had blown. I checked my 12v line on the jamma edge and it's about 12.6v and I notice it's literally going straight from the 12v line to the pico/whatever the atx thing they used, not through a regulator or anything. I tried it 5 more times and the same transistor blew each time. Now there's a problem here. I can't regulate the 12V cause no arcade psu that I know of has a 12v regulator. I took the pcb to another jamma setup, checked the jamma voltage and the 12v was around 12.1, no problems it works fine.

I'm guessing these motherboards have a crappy tolerance or something cause I've never had a problem like this on my jamma setup with other games cause the only thing that's getting power from the 12V is usually an amp and those have huge ranges. Just a thought.

Photo Dec 10 2022, 5 34 55 PM.jpgPhoto Dec 09 2022, 4 51 15 PM.jpgPhoto Dec 09 2022, 4 51 08 PM.jpg

Powering the board from the regulated AC adapter in the back, I get no problems, everything boots up fine. However powering the game from the jamma edge, I smell something burning and I notice a transistor on the bottom of the motherboard had blown. I checked my 12v line on the jamma edge and it's about 12.6v and I notice it's literally going straight from the 12v line to the pico/whatever the atx thing they used, not through a regulator or anything. I tried it 5 more times and the same transistor blew each time. Now there's a problem here. I can't regulate the 12V cause no arcade psu that I know of has a 12v regulator. I took the pcb to another jamma setup, checked the jamma voltage and the 12v was around 12.1, no problems it works fine.
nice find! I noticed the function of the switch on the back and it always seemed dumb to me that they used 12V as the power source since, as you point out it's unregulated, and not only that most arcade PSUs only supply up to 1A on 12V, which likely isn't enough.

Any chance you could put up a picture of the transistor that typically blows, something more we can check.

nice find! I noticed the function of the switch on the back and it always seemed dumb to me that they used 12V as the power source since, as you point out it's unregulated, and not only that most arcade PSUs only supply up to 1A on 12V, which likely isn't enough.

Any chance you could put up a picture of the transistor that typically blows, something more we can check.

Sure, I'll get a pic of it tomorrow.

Back