What's new

rtw

Champion
Reaction score
Here is a small tool for all of you who use CF cards: gcfi, a command line tool to create CF images.

Supports WinXP to Win10

Maximum card size has been increased to: 2GB (FAT16 does not support larger drives)

Creates images for: NAOMI/Chihiro/Triforce

You must be administrator.

The programs: ataid and listphys are included in the archive

gcfi -r -p -s 0x3244 -d d:\ -l ABC.BIN -g starseek.bin

os version : 10.0 (17134)
logical drive : d:\
size : 955MB
sector size : 512
removing files: done
physical drive: 1
sector offset : 0x3244
game file : starseek.bin
file size : 18513216 bytes
loader file : ABC.BIN
output file : STARSEEK.BIN
region byte : 0xff
game crc32 : 0x641962d1
loader crc32 : 0x9be69d2e
copying file : starseek.bin -> d:\STARSEEK.BIN
region patch : done
generating xor: done
creating csum : done

ataid gcfi listphys

changelog:
1.40 : check disk size before allowing recursive removal of files
1.30 : initial version

Attachments

• gcfi_1.40.zip
    32.2 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
You can post here all kind of tools, utilities or programs that help uploading games into the Naomi.

Here is a blog with a tool that will let you upload decrypted Naomi Binaries into a CF.

REMEMBER! You need to get the Card ID (2 bytes) from your card. You need to connect it directly to the IDE bus or via PCMCIA. Other methods like USB adaptors mask the access and wont' allow to see the ID.

http://notinmame.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/naomicf.html

USAGE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CONTENTS OF ATAID.ZIP (two executables inside)

In a windows Operating System, from an elevated Command window (neither app will work properly by default if user does not have low-level access rights).

ataid.exe -p <n> -s

This tool takes one of two runtime arguments:
-p <n> This switch specifies the physical device to use for getting the ID (where <n> is a number like "1").
-s This switch is for saving the discovered ATA ID block based on the device specified with the -p switch as a BIN file to the local directory that ataid.exe is running from.

The first drive detected in your system (Windows XP, 7, 8, 10), typically labeled C:\ is usually drive "0" (Zero).

listphys.exe
This tool takes no runtime arguments, as it's meant only for listing all physical devices detected on the system. The last number of the phrase \\.\PhysicalDrive is the value you would use with the ataid.exe -p command if that is your compact flash device.

COMPATIBLE HARDWARE SETUP (READ CAREFULLY)

Sadly, ataid (at least in Windows 7/8/10) will not be able to get a CF's ID if you're using any of the following device setups:
  • USB Compact Flash reader/writer
  • IDE Compact Flash Reader/Writer hooked through an IDE-to-USB adapter
Although the tool will sense a device is there (listphys.exe will show this as connected; even as fixed if you use an IDE-to-USB adapter), you will always get an error stating that the device "model name" could not be determined.

That being said, these tools WILL work if you have at least one of the following available in your current market PC at minimum:
  • 1 x PCIe x 4 Slot (StarTech.com 1 Port PCI Express IDE Controller Adapter Card)
  • 1 x PCI 2.2 Slot (StarTech.com 2 Port PCI IDE Controller Adapter Card)
With either of these types of ports, you can easily use a Windows 7+ system to verify the value of your Compact Flash (CF) cards. Above, in parenthesis, I've also noted card types that work with little to no setup in a system. You don't have to use these specific, as there are plenty others available online, but StarTech has been pretty dependable for me over the years in general with harder to find parts that just "work" (PCI-X card for a 4U HP rack server). In my experience, these cards were both plug and play completely on my ASUS Rampage III GENE motherboard; no BIOS adjustments were needed at all.

When everything is plugged in (CF card via an IDE CF Adapter -> Adapter card of your choice), you'll know everything is working when your system comes up notifying you that a S.M.A.R.T. integrity check needs to be performed on the the newly discovered PATA port and connected device. After this (once you're back in your Windows OE), if you run listphys.exe again, you'll see that your CF-Adapter is now first in the list on the device chain (Zero <0>); any other SATA drives will be listed in descending order. Additionally, running the ataid.exe -p 0 will now work without fail, and show your CF Card's Sector ID.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for all yours great post. I have a question,
Where i can find the 8 bytes (marks as A code, and B code on the pic asm file)
for use my CF whith an specific single game only?
For now I have an original cvsnk2 set (original pic and gdrom) running.
i have tried whith my DIY cf adapter using the first 8 digits of the serial number ata description (in hex),
using ataid.exe; burn the pic, but after booting the system shows error 21, i have no problem using the zero pic key.
Thanks

i have tried whith my DIY cf adapter using the first 8 digits of the serial number ata description (in hex),
using ataid.exe; burn the pic, but after booting the system shows error 21, i have no problem using the zero pic key.
Thanks
Check the manual here:
CHD Extraction and Conversion Guide

Thanks
Check the manual here:CHD Extraction and Conversion Guide
Thank you so much Darksoft for your reply. I'l check the guide and make the changes. again thanks, all you are the best.

newprider said:
Thank you so much Darksoft for your reply. I'l check the guide and make the changes. again thanks, all you are the best.
No worries! Please be sure to update your profile with some basic info like location, too!

I was attempting to use this earlier today. I was able to use ataid to get my CF ID

but I don't know where to get the CFB.BIN to run gcfi.exe

I was attempting to use this earlier today. I was able to use ataid to get my CF ID

but I don't know where to get the CFB.BIN to run gcfi.exe
The CFB.BIN is not a file, it is the name of the loader binary already stored in your PIC.

Normally it contains ABC.BIN

Reactions: nem
I doubt there is a youtube guide, but I am sure people here are willing to help and answer questions.

look at my link above from from dec 2016. There you have a tool that will do all the job for you.

Can you fake a different compact flash size?
Like if you restore an image of a 512MB card on a larger one, it will afterwards appear as a 512MB card to windows.
I could even use a 128MB card with this method (With an image smaller than 128MB obviously)
64MB didn't work anymore.
(128MB is the smallest dimm memory size supported so maybe that's the reason?)

Can you fake a different compact flash size?
Not without a lot of work and I don't see any reason to do so, there are a lot of 512 MB, 1GB and 2GB cards available.

Hi @rtw - trying to use gcfi in windows10 - and after formatting my CF card, I get this error when trying to run:

C:\Users\mathe\Downloads\gcfi_1.20>gcfi -p -s 0x3332 -d e:\ -l ABC.BIN -g VirtuaTennis2.bin
os version : 10.0 (17134)
logical drive : e:\
size : 1905MB
sector size : 512

files on drive: e:\
e:\System Volume Information/WPSettings.dat
e:\System Volume Information/IndexerVolumeGuid

gcfi: error, drive must be empty

I am not sure how to delete these two files? I checked see "hidden files" but they still don't show up.

(works fine in win7).

Matt

Last edited:
Last edited:
Awesome - thanks!!!

Or maybe you could add a switch to gcfi /force or something, that allows the user to ignore the files?

Matt

The card must be empty for the protection mechanism to work properly.

A better solution would be to implement a switch which would remove all files on the card.

Back