What's new
Even if you remove them, won't they just be marked in the directory table as being deleted. (starting with a ? if I remember well.)
This would position the relevant files further in the file allocation table, but maybe it doesn't matter for the protection mechanism?

Even if you remove them, won't they just be marked in the directory table as being deleted. (starting with a ? if I remember well.)
This would position the relevant files further in the file allocation table, but maybe it doesn't matter for the protection mechanism?
Not sure - but I can tell you it worked fine - i formatted the CF card in win10 - ran the new gcfi with the remove flag, and dropped in my naomi2 - worked perfect.

Matt

The directory entry index would change but the physical placement of the files would start on the same cluster since the clusters would have been marked as free.

Last edited:
I would like to add, if you have a 1gb Chihiro, you must call the file "ABC.1GB" not "ABC.BIN"

I thought that name was embedded in the security pic code.
So you can make the file wathever you like as long as the security pic code has a reference to the same filename. (And it probably needs to be 3 letters before and 3 after the dot.) Besides that, I doubt there is a benefit in having a 1Gig dimm on chihiro. (Triforce is another story)

I thought that name was embedded in the security pic code.
So you can make the file wathever you like as long as the security pic code has a reference to the same filename. (And it probably needs to be 3 letters before and 3 after the dot.) Besides that, I doubt there is a benefit in having a 1Gig dimm on chihiro. (Triforce is another story)
The loader file has to have the same name as the one inside the PIC i.e. ABC.BIN.

Inside ABC.BIN is the name of the file to load in 8.3 naming format.

Yes... UNLESS its a 1GB Chihiro... The file needs to be ABC.1GB ... not ABC.BIN .. The pic does have ABC.BIN in it, but when the hardware is in 1GB mode, it uses the 3 Letters + .1GB

Ie, the netboot HOTD3 which doesn't have a 512MB CF image, if you use the above tool, use the command line gcfi -r -p -s <key> -d d:\ -l ABC.1GB -g HOTD3_XXX(whatever you have it named)XXX.BIN

I took a look at the HOTD3 image: GDX-001

It contains the following files:

BFN.BIN
HOD3AC_S.BIN
XBAMGD.BIN

There is no 1GB file or 512MB explicit file.

Compared to Outrun 2:

BGZ.1GB
BGZ.BIN
OUTRUN2_1GB.BIN
OUTRUN2_512MB.BIN
XBAMGD.BIN

Where you clearly see the mechanics of picking the correct image based on the contents of the PIC.

However if I have a pic with ABC.BIN I can just ask it to load OUTRUN2_1GB.BIN or OUTRUN2_512MB.BIN depending on my hardware.

More info here:

Chihiro game sizes, 512MB vs 1GB

Can someone confirm if HOTD3 is a 1GB RAM game or a 512 MB game ?

I have always loaded it in a 512MB chihiro. Maybe there are different versions floating around?

Doesn't matter the game.. If you have a 1GB Chihiro, you need to use the "ABC.1GB" file name... no need to modify PIC or anything else, its how it just works in the firmware. Yes, the Loader File points to the actual game file. -- i was just adding that to the information / directions in case anybody was using a 1GB Chihiro.. even though no games ever appeared to use that unit.

As for HOTD3... The "GDX-001" is a Type 1 512MB Image, using the GDX-001 Image I get "incompatible system" However, The HOTD3 Type 3 Image i have does boot but it was stated it would only work on a 1GB unit (i don't have a 512MB Netboot version of HOTD3 that runs on type3)

if there was a version, then i would be using it in my Gun Cab.

Here is the list of "official" game discs and what they work on:

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Chihiro

Last edited:
I have a topic on this forum that describes how to modify the type 1 only game images so that they run on a type 3. You just need to change one byte in the decrypted image.

Can I make my 512MB Chihiro a 1GB just by adding another stick of ram from another 512MB Chihiro?

Doesn't matter the game.. If you have a 1GB Chihiro, you need to use the "ABC.1GB" file name... no need to modify PIC or anything else, its how it just works in the firmware. Yes, the Loader File points to the actual game file. -- i was just adding that to the information / directions in case anybody was using a 1GB Chihiro.. even though no games ever appeared to use that unit.
They probably got tired of supplying extra PICs and modified the code to auto add extension :D

Here is the patch needed:

Patching CTHR and HOTD3 to run on the chihiro 3

Thank you @obcd

I still don't see the point why you would need 1Gig in your chihiro dimm. Am I missing something?

I still don't see the point why you would need 1Gig in your chihiro dimm. Am I missing something?
Because the HOTD3 "patched" Type 3 file i got 9 years ago, didn't run on a 512MB Chihiro :D

But now that @rtw posted the link on how to patch the Type1 Image, i don't need a 1gb Chihiro anymore :D

Last edited:
Quick question, does it matter that the system volume information folder is left on the CF card after the gcfi process?

Back