What's new
DECO multi is important to the survival of the system. Part of our hobby is preservaton. I like old hardware so I won't apologize for it.
While I understand Jassin's point of view on this and respect his choice; I totally agree with you Mits, from a preservationists aspect. I actually tried to find a suitable candidate to restore and make use of DS multi for it, but they just aren't available. So hats off to you guys that have them and are restoring/preserving them it is a worthwhile cause.

Now back on track people, which is to get Darksoft to make us a proper multi for the naomi :D

DECO multi is important to the survival of the system. Part of our hobby is preservaton.
Preserve the game play with emulation and video footage, preserve the hardware underglass (but let it bit-rot into non-functionality).

Multi's are for popular systems people care about playing frequently, not museum pieces.
Aside multi's are in actuality hardware hacks, going against the core idea of preservation (because NO physical alteration is rule #1). ?(

Preserve the game play with emulation and video footage, preserve the hardware underglass (but let it bit-rot into non-functionality).

Multi's are for popular systems people care about playing frequently, not museum pieces.
Aside multi's are in actuality hardware hacks, going against the core idea of preservation (because NO physical alteration is rule #1).
Disagree. MAME is a great preservation tool indeed. I use it for repairs but never to play games. It rarely truly plays the same. To a lot of people that is ok, including some members of and contributors to the MAME team themselves. Just go read Guru's blog. He contributed a lot to the dumping of games and to the understanding of how systems work. But in several blog posts you will see him say something like "I'm not sure why this works this way but it's playable in MAME so that's good enough for me." For most people that is fine. They can play this old game on their computer. That's great! Ignorance is bliss. It's a part of the old debate about gamers versus collectors/preservationists. (Which has happened on these forums a few times too) While I think everyone in this hobby loves to play games not everyone is *just* a gamer. I consider myself a preservationist. I collect those big hulking US woody cabs because each one is different. The side art is iconic. They contributed greatly to my memories as a child, not just the game inside. And because these cabs, especially standup cabs, are disappearing I feel like they need to be preserved for the next generation of game enthusiasts to see. This is already happening with the generation that was born probably mid 90's and up. The town I'm from hasn't had an arcade since 2003. When I show some of my employees pictures of my cabs they say "What's that?". I'm not even kidding. Candy cabs are great and way better suited for modern arcades. But I don't own even one (though I would like to some day).

There's nothing wrong with just playing the games. If the games weren't great, none of us would be here. And I agree most multis are not essential to the preservation of the systems. But in the case of DECO how else do we preserve the original hardware? The magnetic tape storage system has been dead for decades but I still want to play games on the original hardware for the proper feel and yes, sometimes the nostalgia of sitting in front of the cabinet. You can't even load 1 GAME on it as probably above 95% of the tapes and drives are dead and beyond repair. We need a modern solution for this purpose and this is that solution. Yes, most flash carts were designed with profit in mind. But every now and then you need to serve the community. Sort of a Yin-yang kind of thing. Bill Gates made billions of dollars but he gives away hundreds of millions a year. I guess projects like this could be considered more of a public service. We won't sell many and won't make much money but also, that's not the point.

I REALLY disagree with the statement that the hardware should be in a glass case. DECO has an important place in history. It was the first multigame arcade system. And for the next generation to understand it the best way is to put their hands on a functional unit. There will be many more resurrected from the grave very soon and that makes me happy. To me it's important for younger people to understand how that game on their XBOX ONE/PS4 came to be. It's important to know the history of the business. I would be ignorant if I said I would never play Atari because the graphics aren't good. It's true by todays standard but the basics of what make today's games fun were laid out way back then.

Let me stop rambling. Like I said, nothing wrong with just wanting to play games. Just giving a perspective from the other side. :)

^^^ this.

The museum that I try and help out. .They were dedicated to only consoles...No arcades. They decided to open up the museum space, to show off their massive collection of stuff, and everyone immediately asked them, where the originals were...Why weren't the arcades there? So they dove into arcades. They dedicated themselves to making sure everything was original, with no mames...But have had to settle for a few jroks, simply for the stability they provide. As JROK also believes in preservation, but managed it through the FPGA chip mimicking every single logic process exactly, of the original board.
To JROK, the team here, and to the museum's...That preservation is just as important a piece of the equation as the profit....And we can't thank them enough... Cause without that balance, all we ever would see is 60n1s, Pandora's, and 161carts...Which do serve a purpose for the masses, but are solely profit driven by design.

680.gif

I appreciate the OG setup, but sign me up for a multi

In my case I don't think I can even get my cabinet to original equipment anyhow and I'm trying to get my kids into playing on the cabinet more. They can only handle so much Virtua Striker 3 lol

The Naomi is one of the best, more versatile arcade systems ever in terms of quality games that stand the test of time (they still look awesome on a quality monitor and cabinet). I know the net booting system with a Raspberry Pi works fine and I have this setup as well, but speaking as someone that started this hobby with a Naomi and GD-rom setup it is amazingly delicate and sensitive with its setup. I can't count how many hours were spent on the system with the sensitive GD-rom cable and the power sensitive nature of the Naomi and GD-rom with the power supply and all the parts associated with the system. Even though my net booting system is working fine right now - the idea of having all the games (Naomi, Naomi 2, Atomiswave) with a nice on-screen menu and just the console to contend with (without the netdimm and Pi) sounds amazing. The reliability would be top notch and really make it on par with the Neo Geo in terms of quality and quantity of games. Let's hope the Naomi multi-cart is on the horizon as one of the future multi-cart systems - Darksoft would do an amazing job with this cart and the Naomi system. We can save the net booting setup for the Triforce and Chihiro so it won't go to waste.

Back