What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
I bought another Model 3 VOOT PCB so that I can have a Live monitor setup.

I saw it running before it shipped and I know the seller personally so I'm confident it was working when it left.

the game plays fine the roms all check OK but some of the 2D graphics come up garbled:

vot_bad2.jpg

vot_bad3.jpg
^this is the title screen where the logo should be

vot_bad4.jpg
^That block in the middle is supposed to be my cross-hairs

I've seen pictures of VOOT boards displaying this behavior in listings in Japan so I'm going to guess this is a somewhat common Model 3 problem.

Anyone know what causes this and/or how to fix it?

Pretty sure Ken would know.

to me seems the video board.
those are common problems in the model3 boards....
90% of the times is the video board.
9% is the cpu.
1% is the romboard.
graphical problems are 99,99% video board problems.
change it with another one and you'll see the problem fixed.

I don't know if he actively looks on forums since he is so busy but feel free to drop him a line. He is always very helpful. He pretty much has helped me set up my BGA station and order supplies as much as he could without doing it himself. lol

I emailed ken. This was his response:

Irepairsega said:
This was on Model 3 Step 2 set. Video Bd is mainly BGAs. I imagine you have loose BGAs. I can reflow but I no longer replace them due to excessive cost. If its not repairable, possibly I have another pcb thats easier to fix and wap out. I would need the Game Bd stack of pcbs with black legs on. No cage or any other parts.
BGAs are quickly becoming the bane of my existence.

That means you may be able to test by pressing on the BGAs.

I was thinking about that.

also, my end use for this is for a live monitor setup, so I'm not sure how much of that needs the 2D overlays anyway. I don't have any of the other parts to make that work yet so i may just shelve this while I keep my eye out for a cheap working model 3 board set.

Back