What's new
You can use the HAS on your JVS IO that has a jamma edge (for example, the Capcom IO). However all it's really doing is controls, if you're not taking from the VGA and want 15khz then you can get RGB off the jamma edge of your IO through the HAS as usual. Naomi does 15khz as 480i and I don't recommend it.

You need to power the naomi seperately, especially for netbooting.

Just went through this the other night. The Naomi needs 3.3v which standard JAMMA doesn't have. So as plasia mentioned, you'll need to power it with a power supply that can output 3.3v. If you try to just power up from the JAMMA edge connector, the Naomi's fans will spin up but you won't get any video or audio.

Last edited:
I was planning to use the sega naomi sun power supply to power up the Naomi/net dimm, then use the VGA (31khz) from the naomi to my ben Q zowie , then connect the HAS with its own power supply + kick harness to the capcom I/O.

@noir
@plasia

No need to power the HAS; any power it might need it'll get from the JAMMA edge connector. In fact, it would probably be a bad idea to have power connected to the HAS while you also have the Naomi power supply going.

My setup for Naomi:
Naomi 1 powered by standard PC PSU with the atx adapter cables by @Mitsurugi-w

Video and controls from Naomi to Capcom I/O. Sound from Naomi to speakers.

Capcom I/O to HAS via jamma

HAS powered by arcade PSU and video connected with din8 to scart cable from retro-access.

On occasion, depending on the game, I throw in a scanline generator between Naomi and Capcom.

Anyone miss out on pre-orders and want a HAS v3.1 let me know. Selling for cost and will post picks in the FS thread soon.

My setup for Naomi:
Naomi 1 powered by standard PC PSU with the atx adapter cables by @Mitsurugi-w

Video and controls from Naomi to Capcom I/O. Sound from Naomi to speakers.

Capcom I/O to HAS via jamma

HAS powered by arcade PSU and video connected with din8 to scart cable from retro-access.

On occasion, depending on the game, I throw in a scanline generator between Naomi and Capcom.
thanks for your set up info , so it is ok to connect the HAS to an arcade supply while the Naomi is being powered by its own 3.3v power supply?? And my cps2-cps3-neo geo is run by HAS to OSSC via 8din to HDMI so i guess i can use the same set up for the naomi instead of using the VGA via naomi

To answer your question re power, yes that's fine.

The Naomi is powered directly from the ATX. The Capcom I/O is not connected to the Naomi in regards to power, so the power coming from the arcade PSU to the HAS isn't being passed through to the Naomi.

The Naomi is powered directly from the ATX. The Capcom I/O is not connected to the Naomi in regards to power, so the power coming from the arcade PSU to the HAS isn't being passed through to the Naomi.

awesome! I have wondering the same thing about the naomi with the H.A.S. Thanks for the info everybody :thumbsup:

Dumb question, but does the Capcom I/O connect to the Naomi differently than the Naomi I/O board? I only have the Naomi I/O board and am unfamiliar with the Capcom one.

I ask because when I set mine up with the HAS connected via JAMMA edge on the Naomi I/O board and no power supply connected to the HAS, the HAS showed 5.20 v when the Naomi power supply was turned on. So the Naomi I/O board *does* get power from the Naomi power supply.

EDIT: It looks like the Capcom I/O board does indeed have connections for power between it and the Naomi board. https://solvalou.com/arcade/naomi

The Capcom IO dose JVS power conversion yes, but don't be "fooled" into believing it can support the needs of a fully decked out (GDROM/DIMM/NetDIMM) Naomi unit.
It's intention is to power the Naomi motherboard and one cart ONLY.

Dumb question, but does the Capcom I/O connect to the Naomi differently than the Naomi I/O board? I only have the Naomi I/O board and am unfamiliar with the Capcom one.
I ask because when I set mine up with the HAS connected via JAMMA edge on the Naomi I/O board and no power supply connected to the HAS, the HAS showed 5.20 v when the Naomi power supply was turned on. So the Naomi I/O board *does* get power from the Naomi power supply.

EDIT: It looks like the Capcom I/O board does indeed have connections for power between it and the Naomi board. https://solvalou.com/arcade/naomi
Well yes... but no.

JVS IO is connected with a USB cable (that isn't USB, I don't believe it carries power, so I don't know what's going on there). Yes you can technically try and power your Naomi with the Capcom IO, but this is not recommended and will most likely flat out not work with a netdimm/gd-rom setup. Most people including myself power the IO and the Naomi separately.

Thanks @RGB for sending that voltage meter replacement :thumbup:

Attachments

• 751A40E3-8089-4743-B40F-F972652FA286.jpeg
    751A40E3-8089-4743-B40F-F972652FA286.jpeg
    455.8 KB · Views: 281
most likely flat out not work with a netdimm/gd-rom setup
Capcom IO can't supply enough power for that kind of setup.DIMMs are out if you power Naomi with Capcom IO.
I think we're on the same page and agree here.

--- --- --- ---

HAS is fantastic but you could get the upcoming CPS2 IO for a cheaper alternative from RGB when it comes to Naomi (and 2x6), since you're not going to be using the audio/video features. Button remapping is nice though!

Dumb question, but does the Capcom I/O connect to the Naomi differently than the Naomi I/O board? I only have the Naomi I/O board and am unfamiliar with the Capcom one.I ask because when I set mine up with the HAS connected via JAMMA edge on the Naomi I/O board and no power supply connected to the HAS, the HAS showed 5.20 v when the Naomi power supply was turned on. So the Naomi I/O board *does* get power from the Naomi power supply.

Well yes... but no.
JVS IO is connected with a USB cable (that isn't USB, I don't believe it carries power, so I don't know what's going on there). Yes you can technically try and power your Naomi with the Capcom IO, but this is not recommended and will most likely flat out not work with a netdimm/gd-rom setup. Most people including myself power the IO and the Naomi separately.
One of the connectors between JVS IO and the Naomi is USB, but as shown in that link there are others, including a power connector. I'm not suggesting trying to power the Naomi from the Capcom IO; it won't work because JAMMA doesn't have 3.3v. I'm suggesting the opposite. If somebody's IO board has all of its connections hooked up to the Naomi, the HAS should not need its own power supply; it will get its power from the Naomi PSU. Call me paranoid, but it just seems like a not great idea to have two separate power supplies hooked up to the same system.

Last edited:
At this point I think you should start a thread. Maybe a moderator can help move this discussion?

I'm a bit concerned that you don't really know what you're talking about, you keep saying -3v when the missing voltage is 3.3v (which is why ATX power supplies are a common solution). The only connection between your IO and your Naomi should be a USB cord, but please note that it is not usb. The pinout for a JVS connectior is Sense, Data-, Data+, GND. Notice no +5v like USB, it is just using the usb form factor.

I don't know what you're doing to get 5v on your HAS, but to reiterate what Jassin and I have been trying to tell you:
  • Power your HAS, which is connected to your IO via jamma edge and possibly kick harness.
  • Connection between IO and Naomi should be the JVS usb cord, no power cables, nothing else. (Unless you want 15khz 480i RGBS, there is a dip switch on the Naomi for this, but use 480p RGBHV instead).
  • Power your Naomi separately
  • Video and audio you get straight from the connectors on the Naomi

Right you are on 3v. Thanks for correcting me. Fixed my last post. Happy to just drop the topic at this point. Just wanted to make sure the guy asking didn’t screw up his stuff.

Right you are on 3v. Thanks for correcting me. Fixed my last post. Happy to just drop the topic at this point. Just wanted to make sure the guy asking didn’t screw up his stuff.
Follow the steps and there wont be any screwing up of stuff :)

Back