What's new

Dr. Willy

Student
Reaction score
Is there a walkthrough for this somewhere? I see tons of stuff on make CF cards but nothing on making SSD's for the triforce. I just updated to the 3.12 firmware and am netbooting fine but want to make a SSD.

Thanks!

its been awhile so i have forgotten the details but from what i remember you have to use a program like winhex to write the image and a proper ssd adaptor that is modified to be read only. I believe you also might need a special SSD drive. I could be confusing this all with the Chihiro but I believe they work the same. Im sure someone here knows more.

I thought most of that was eliminate with having the new firmware but maybe I'm mistaken. Hopefully someone else will chime in and I really need a ssd for my f zero the gd rom just died and I would like to upgrade it.

I don't know how to do, already asked here without any success.
You can use CF instead, depending on CF model it can be about the same speed. Darksoft released his CF firmware (must work with SSD, too), just to netboot it into your Triforce.

Any ssd or hdd should work as long as the files are converted a certain way.

To be honest, cf cards are much easier to work with. A .99 cent ide cf adapter off ebay boots fine with Darksoft's fw.

That's the point: files need to be converted a certain way, but have to know this way to do it! :D
I use CF, too, and it does the job. I agree, it's easy to use, and speed is sufficient.

It works in the same way as the CF. You just need to extract the DEVICE ID from your SSD in the first place. Some programs like NaomiCF don't work well with SSD drives, so what I do is that I create a CF with the ID of my SSD and then clone it to the SSD. That should do the trick.

Okay bumping this and looking for a little help. I got the cf stuff.

I have upgraded my firmware to the one released here, used naomicf to write f-zero to the cf card and have the cf to ide plugged into the spot on the triforce and have my pic chip installed. All I get when I turn it on is "initializing media board" for a little while, then It errors saying can't read gd rom drive.

What am I missing here? I have netbooted it perfectly fine so I know the pic is good.

Yes giving 5 volts from a secondary power supply, wanting to get everything working then I'll make the adaptor to power it off the triforce plug.

Yeah I have an ide to cf in my computer. When I put the card in it reads it and gets the id# fine however it errors out when I try to write to it. So I used my USB cf writer and put in the id# and it flashed perfect just won't read in the triforce.

also I'm on Windows 7 which I read is the issue why the CF to ide errors out.

You know that the CF and the SSD will certainly have different IDs, right?

Have you checked dipswitch, back to CF mode after netboot the firmware?

You know that the CF and the SSD will certainly have different IDs, right?
After you talked about having to make a cf card, then change the ssd id# and clone the cf card to the drive, it started to sound like a ton of work so I just decided to go cf only and gave up on the ssd until I have more time to sit down and really dig into it.

your using a netboot pic for cf booting?
I thought they were both the same for the triforce and it was the Naomi that had two different ones. Im almost positive on my other setup with Mario kart and a ssd kit I got from darksoft that I used that pic to netboot along with doing the ssd but I could be wrong. Ill have to defer to Mitsurugi on that one cause I bought the pics from him a couple of weeks ago.

Pics of your setup?
Using this ide to cf reader for my computer (this reads the card and gets the id fine but gives me a can not write error when I try to use naomicf, I read this was due to windows7?)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026OYEEQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

using this usb to CF to write the card (this reads the card fine, and I input the id# and it wrote the card fine)
https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Vers...d=1496680133&sr=8-1&keywords=unitek+usb+to+cf

using this ide to cf for the triforce
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WRSY3NF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

using these cards casue I read of a few guys having good success with them
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Blank-5...-SLC-w-case-/390400481045?hash=item5ae5ae9715

I am using a type 3 triforce updated with the firmware here, a sun psu for the triforce and then a pc power supply to power the cf ide adaptor till I get it all running, the green, yellow, and red light all light on the cf-ide adaptor also

Have you checked dipswitch, back to CF mode after netboot the firmware?
I will double check this tonight, but im almost 100 percent positive dip 1 is set to on and dip 2 is set to off, I believe if it wasn't the trifoce would just come up and say "checking network" and not even look for the gd rom drive

Let me know if you guys have anymore ideas

I got this figured out. It is a bad pic, I tried a 2nd pic I had ordered at the same time and everything boots perfect now.

Back