Pnickies CPS1 conversion possible?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Pnickies CPS1 conversion possible?

I have a CPS1 suicide battery free board that should have the right C board for the puzzle game "Pnickies" (pnickj), but no dump exists for this PAL:

ROM_REGION( 0x0200, "bboardplds", 0 )
      ROM_LOAD( "pkb10b.1a", 0x0000, 0x0117, NO_DUMP )

I know these are tricky to dump and this is a long shot, This game seems pretty rare but I just am hoping to be able to try it on a cps1 board. It seems that PAL and also the sizes of the roms themselves may be an issue for completing a B board. I'm pretty good with splitting/combining/burning roms but my knowledge of cps1 is little.

I do see in mame some games may have incomplete PALs that allow the game to run and are noted to work on real hardware, but I wouldn't expect someone to assemble one (at least not for free). I hope someone can help ^^

The post was edited 2 times, last by skate323k137 ().

• skate323k137 wrote:

So long story short, this guy merged the roms and made the PAL for me:

arcadefixer.blogspot.com/2017/…-ghoulsnghosts-world.html

I did send him a donation for the work. I've tried some of his other patched sets like this GnG one, and his forgotten worlds that's playable on a normal panel. They've all worked fine.
      Judging by his CPS1 work, it seems he might be capable of making CPS 1.5 to CPS2 conversions a reality. I wonder if he'd be interested in taking a crack at it.
    • kuze wrote:

Judging by his CPS1 work, it seems he might be capable of making CPS 1.5 to CPS2 conversions a reality. I wonder if he'd be interested in taking a crack at it.
      From what I remember, one of the biggest challenges was shifting spright priority.
      In some of the screen caps taken from Punisher running inside MAME with the CPS2 drivers, you could clearly see background objects overlapping ontop of the characters.

"So, looks like it uses that register pair to cause the sprite hardware to snapshot the sprite memory area on the CPU and update the screen with data for the next frame."

"The Punisher I stalled at the point where I tripped a protection on the game program. It causes the enemies to die instantly as they appear on the screen. Also I was unable to find a satisfactory solution for the sprites priority problem."
      Darksoft: CPS3, ST-V, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3

[genesis] [segacd] [saturn] [dreamcast_ss] [nes-101] [snes] [n64] [gamecube] [pce] [pcecd] [psx]
    • kuze wrote:

skate323k137 wrote:

So long story short, this guy merged the roms and made the PAL for me:

arcadefixer.blogspot.com/2017/…-ghoulsnghosts-world.html

I did send him a donation for the work. I've tried some of his other patched sets like this GnG one, and his forgotten worlds that's playable on a normal panel. They've all worked fine.
      Reality is alot of people lost interest working on them. after my harddrive died I went to make that ST Hack with more colors and stages. While Leo went on with other projects as well.
    • jassin000 wrote:

kuze wrote:

From what I remember, one of the biggest challenges was shifting spright priority.In some of the screen caps taken from Punisher running inside MAME with the CPS2 drivers, you could clearly see background objects overlapping ontop of the characters.

I had cause to email him a few days ago, I'm trying to get him to jump into the forum himself. In the meantime he let me know "I did convert few CPS1 Q-Sound games on CPS2 like Cadillacs & Dinosaurs but still have to remap inputs. Otherwise graphics and sound work fine." I'm not sure if he solved that shifting sprite issue but hopefully I can get him to jump in here and answer...
      have multi: cps2 cps3 ttx2 naomi(netboot) st-v gnet f3 mvs (sega c2 pending)
      want multi: cps1 pgm 246/256 sys16/18/32 m92 atomiswave naomi(cart) seattle supernova na-1/2 jms32
      cabs: blast city x2, vewlix c
      klov games list | custom fight sticks
      current project(s): game room
    • ekorz wrote:

jassin000 wrote:

kuze wrote:

From what I remember, one of the biggest challenges was shifting spright priority.In some of the screen caps taken from Punisher running inside MAME with the CPS2 drivers, you could clearly see background objects overlapping ontop of the characters.
      I had cause to email him a few days ago, I'm trying to get him to jump into the forum himself. In the meantime he let me know "I did convert few CPS1 Q-Sound games on CPS2 like Cadillacs & Dinosaurs but still have to remap inputs. Otherwise graphics and sound work fine." I'm not sure if he solved that shifting sprite issue but hopefully I can get him to jump in here and answer...
      That sounds pretty promising!