What's new
@twistedsymphony, do you happen to have a picture of the wiring between the first LED in the Array to the Gun Sense board? I need to make a harness from scratch and I want to make sure the terminals are correct. Thanks

(For HOTD4)
LED_Array_To_Gun_Sense.jpg

the wiring is the same as the LED modules EXCEPT the connector is flipped 180 degrees. it's as if they mounted the connector on the gun PCB the wrong way around. at least that how it's been on each of the 3 gun boards that have passed through my hands.

But, in the interest of clarity I've snapped some pics for you.
omz_harness1.jpg

omz_harness2.jpg

The picture definitely clears it up.

I noticed that on the first LED board, one side says 'OUT' the other says 'IN'.

So does the array go like this:

|GunSense| <-> |IN-LED1-OUT| <-> | IN-LED2-OUT| <-> etc

In other words, Gun Sense Pins connect to the LED board through the IN correct?

I just realized that you had already provided information on the Gun Sense to LED Array wiring on the first page of this post. Sorry about that. Glad you posted the picture for reference though.

After wiring up the last array, I realized I was short one JST XH connector that goes to the first LED BD. :( Now I have to order one more, which I may just order a handful just to be safe.

Anyway, I noticed you have this setup for Time Crisis 4. I'm still green on gun setups but do Time Crisis (namco) games work directly with SEGA IR setups? Or is it the fact that it is an OMZ setup that makes it semi universal?

Is there much re-configuring to go from a Time Crisis setup to Ghost Squad (Chihiro)?

Anyway, I noticed you have this setup for Time Crisis 4. I'm still green on gun setups but do Time Crisis (namco) games work directly with SEGA IR setups? Or is it the fact that it is an OMZ setup that makes it semi universal?
I don't have Time Crisis 4 working... that's an eventual "nice to have"

The way these gun boards work they are compatible with ANY game that accept Analog inputs. Truely you could even play say Daytona USA with these where you could steer/gas/brake by pointing your gun to different regions of the screen and that's on a system that never used OMZ guns.

While that might be very useful This also means that games that normally used mounted guns, like say Gunblade NY or even Terminator 2, could be used with these guns since they just output an analog signal.

Is there much re-configuring to go from a Time Crisis setup to Ghost Squad (Chihiro)?
I don't believe so, but I haven't tested this specifically.

I don't have Time Crisis 4 working... that's an eventual "nice to have"
The way these gun boards work they are compatible with ANY game that accept Analog inputs. Truely you could even play say Daytona USA with these where you could steer/gas/brake by pointing your gun to different regions of the screen and that's on a system that never used OMZ guns.

While that might be very useful This also means that games that normally used mounted guns, like say Gunblade NY or even Terminator 2, could be used with these guns since they just output an analog signal.

I don't believe so, but I haven't tested this specifically.
Gotcha. You got me excited :)

I think when you mentioned using NAMCO guns with the recoil, that got me hyped up.

I am also relying on the HOTD2 diagram but realized that HOTD2 is not playable on the NAOMI2 (?) but on a different NAOMI console. I only have Ghost Squad and was hoping that if I netbooted a NAOMI2 gun game I would not need to swap out many parts to get it to load properly.

Your post has very good information to piece together a fully working Gun Cab and am one to say I will be using this post for reference as I get mine in working condition.

On games that require an additional button or pedal, how are you addressing this functionality in your gun setup?

On games that require an additional button or pedal, how are you addressing this functionality in your gun setup?
I picked up a pair of of Time Crisis pedals which should take care of most cases.

I have a pair of Time Crisis guns that I'm going to try to modify to use the Sega IR sensors, after that I may see if I can fit an extra button on the gun somewhere for games where that's appropriate.

That's all just brainstorming. I've got the normal Sega guns working on a test bench but I'm at somewhat of a roadblock as I can't figure out a good way to hang my LED frame in front of the projector screen. I have a couple of ideas on how to make it work but I don't really like either of them :-/

Does the Namco gun use the same wiring or are you just going to make modifications to the namco gun to fit the sega sensor.

That was my follow-up question to ask how the project is going. :)

Are you planning to make it stationary or plan to make it mobile?

You may need to make an aluminum frame that detaches if you do plan on moving it but I like your idea with adding them to a rail on the top and bottom.

Did you use machine screws to bolt them down to the rail?

Does the Namco gun use the same wiring or are you just going to make modifications to the namco gun to fit the sega sensor.
completely different. the namco guns are going to be sort of a "phase 2" of this project because I'd likely be designing and building my own custom harness/harness protector for this as well.

Are you planning to make it stationary or plan to make it mobile?

You may need to make an aluminum frame that detaches if you do plan on moving it but I like your idea with adding them to a rail on the top and bottom.
It will be permanently mounted in my home theater room but it will break down/disassemble if need be. It's not just top and bottom rails. I've got an aluminum frame all the way around and I custom designed 3D printed corner brackets to hold them all together.

The problem with mounting it is that my projector screen is motorized and has a self-tensioning system this means that there's a big box that hangs from the ceiling and sticks out about an extra 8" in each side as well as sticks out about 6" in the front toward the viewer and the frame needs to be mounted BELOW this box. since the box is much wider and much thicker than the frame I'll need to build something that sticks out well past the sides of the frame in order to position it properly.

Did you use machine screws to bolt them down to the rail?
I actually bought some nylon screws and nuts for the LED boards because I have a set of the tinted LED windows used to hide the sensors on the projector based gun games and since the screw is going to sandwich the window against hard aluminum I wanted to go with something softer that would keep it from chipping or marring the plastic window.

The screw goes through the window, through the aluminum and then through the LED board and the nut tights down on the back of the LED board. On a normal machine the window would go behind the aluminum bezel but the channel I'm using is a hair too narrow to fit them inside without trimming them down.

I see some pink ones listed that look pretty decent. From a Point Blank cab(?). I'll keep my eye out for them.

When you are powering up the Gun Sense Board (12V) are you tapping into a Lindbergh/ATX PSU or are you using a NAOMI1/2 PSU? I have both but considering this setup will hopefully be used to swap between Ghost Squad (Chihiro) and HOTD4 (Lindbergh) I would like to keep this one static. I'm curious how the best approach would be to keep the Gun Sense Board powered up separately from the specific console being used. I could be completely wrong.

I used a NAOMI PSU but I don't think it matters what you use, the board doesn't draw much power.

I got an AVR flashed with "MaxArcade" firmware to make it emulate joysticks with analog inputs (8 channels total) wiring up the Sega Gun I/O board was very simple. From the 9-pin output connector I tied the grounds together between the two devices then simply ran the analog output pins to the appropriate input pins, and tied the trigger and screen out signals to the appropriate button pins. I mapped the triggers to button 1 and the screen out signal to button 3.
Can You please post a picture of this particular wiring detail of AVR connected with The gun board? It will be really helpful. Thank You.

Can You please post a picture of this particular wiring detail of AVR connected with The gun board? It will be really helpful. Thank You.
If you can't figure it out from the description then a picture is not going to help you. the pinout for the gun board is on the first page of this thread, and the AVR pins change depending on how you have it configured.

All of the electronics for this project is packed away at the moment while I work on other projects so I can't set it up and take a picture for you anyway, sorry. The closest thing I've got is this instagram video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BCEqJG2zGIV/?taken-by=twistedchu

The AVR is the small red board in the center of the screen with the gun board to the left.

Just a heads up before you guys go jumping in with both feet, that board isn't a silver-bullet solution.
that get you as far as the analog signals from the gun board getting registered as analog joysticks in windows, but it's still not playable without additional work.

MAME can map analog joysticks to gun position, but it offers NO calibration. instead you have to play around with gain and dead-zone and other settings to get it to track the way you'd expect. and even then it's not likely to point where you expect it to point. I got it working with T2 well enough to play in that video but most other games the calibration was so far off you wouldn't be able to play them.

------------

What I expect the solution will eventually be is a piece of software that can translate analog joysticks into a mouse position, allows for two mouse devices, and offers it's own calibration. then MAME or whatever other emulator can translate the mouse position to the location where the gun is pointing (most are designed to work with a mouse device for gun games anyway).

I haven't found this software yet, but I honestly haven't looked too far. I also don't know how well other non-mame emulators such as Demul, model 2, model 3, PCSX2, etc. handle multiple mouse devices for gun games.

Last edited:
I wanted to try a similar AVR setup to see if different profiles can be loaded for calibration. Just a project idea, nothing concrete yet but this helps a lot. Thanks!

@twistedsymphony How are you powering up the Gun Sense Board between consoles? Can you tap into the 12V power coming from a JVS I/O or is that not a good idea?

I am wanting to use draw +12V from a Lindbergh PSU to power this device but was curious if +12V from a JVS I/O (Type 1) would be a safe alternative.

I have a wire harness off of a HOTD2 so I am making changes to the harness to work with the Lindbergh (and hopefully Chihiro)

Back