What's new
@xodaraP either LCD selector with either of the 3 cables I used made any difference, on either kit.

I cant find the instructions for re-doing the bootloader firmware, does anyone have it handy ? @Darksoft maybe ?

edit: oh wait i found it. I need to use the STM discovery tool.. I dont have one. guess i need to buy one. if this does not fix it I am stumped.

It really sounds to me like you have a short somewhere and the FPGA isn't communicating with the microSD properly.

I don't think it's the bootloader because it's coming up with the single star and then saying writing key.

Can you try if you haven't already removing all key writing wires from the multi and try to load a decrypted ROM? Not suggesting there's anything wrong with your soldering, just want to rule out an issue with the wiring harness.

Can you also add some photos? Sometimes having someone else look at it can help

Can you also add some photos? Sometimes having someone else look at it can help
Tried with no wires and decrypted set on 3 different B boards, same problem, using this multi I am having problems with. With and without wired with and without decrypted sets. Also tried different LCD selectors on all.
Tried to move a known working multi to this B board - it works fine - with and without wired with and without decrypted sets. Also tried different LCD selectors on all.

Pics below. Happy to share anything u want to see.

This is a pic of the very original install I did, just today. Flux used. Pre tinned pads. Pre tinned wires.
IMG_20200410_145452.jpg

Below are pics of the pads now, I was very careful with the solder tip. I use a Weller station and take extreme care with such important PCB's :)
IMG_20200410_205532.jpg
IMG_20200410_205536.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200410_205543.jpg
    IMG_20200410_205543.jpg
    666 KB · Views: 106
What's the circled blob of solder? Is that supposed to be there, a tiny resistor or capacitor? If not, it seems to be bridging some vias.
IMG_20200410_203804.jpg

I knew someone would think that. Its a capacitor. Its meant to be there. My camera is shit sorry. Not sure why it cant do closeups well... Never focuses properly

Frank, I went over it all just then with a USB microscope I have and it all looks perfect. No bridging, no solder splatters, I was very careful with it all.

Last edited:
The issue isn't the key writing wires here unless there were bridges on the FPGA pins and they look absolutely fine.

If there is nothing obvious and flashing the bootloader with a discovery programmer doesn't fix it then I'd say it will need to go to Mitsurugi-w or Darksoft.

Yeah it really seems to be a SD card problem, on the PCB itself.
Just now I was trying to load a few games (same thing, one * then says have fun as if its worked) then it suddenly said SD card missing, this is all without me rebooting the CPS2.

Does anyone in Australia have a STM discovery tool I could borrow for this procedure ? It would be cheaper for me to pay shipping both ways than to buy one! I already got stung on import tax because of the route from Italy -> USA -> AUS so I am not looking to burn more $ if possible.

I've spent heaps of time troubleshooting today too. Thanks for the suggestions @xodaraP & @Darksoft its much appreciated!

Its a surface mount TFcard slot - how do I go about doing that. My Fluke probes are too wide to go into the TFslot - also I think they would just do damage.
I used to have a TF extension piece but its missing. There is a small piece of clear heat-proof tape over the top of the TFslot.. is that somehow holding something in place ?

OK so got the Discovery, installed it on the PC, downloaded the drivers and software.

It connects to the programmer, removed the jumpers on the discovery, connected the 5pin harness connecting to J4 using the pinout supplied.

After bypassing and programming the bootloader, I powered it on back on the multi, I just get a black screen but I did notice that it erased the flash.img file from the SD when it booted but now that's where I am, black screen no matter what game I try to load.

Last edited:
Sounds like it’s working but read is disabled. You don’t need to read the existing flash you need to write a new one - or does that error appear when attempting a write?

then it suddenly said SD card missing
That is the issue. Probably microSD lot broken or torn. Can you double check the soldering and proper contact between microSD and pins there?
Hey @Darksoft how do I test for continuity between the microsd and the pins on the PCB ? Its a surface mount SDcard slot - not sure how I can get probes in there to test it. Do you have a schematic of where the SDcard readers traces go ? Id like to get this board working if possible

if you have a microsd card ezt3nder that could help. Otherwise tour need a small probé or a needle and you multineter.

My point is to ensure that contact is good between microsd slot and pcb. I doubt the problem would be between microsd pads and somewhere else on the PCB.

Try reworking one by one and carefully the pins of the microsd slot and let us know if that fixes it.

if you have a microsd card ezt3nder that could help.
I have found an extender. I need to know where the lines from the microSD reader goto on the multi PCB so I can test the continuity. Are you able to show me where each of the 8 microSD pins go to on the PCB ? Even If i have to solder on another microSD slot remotely, I dont mind. I never need to open this once its all working and assembled :) thanks

Sounds like it’s working but read is disabled. You don’t need to read the existing flash you need to write a new one - or does that error appear when attempting a write?
That’s after a successful write. That’s why I’m confused with the black screen. Now after programming it, I can no longer connect to it. Says something about “try to connect with reset mode”.

That’s after a successful write. That’s why I’m confused with the black screen. Now after programming it, I can no longer connect to it. Says something about “try to connect with reset mode”.
And you said that the VERIFY Romset verifies well for you, right?

And you said that the VERIFY Romset verifies well for you, right?
This is what the log says when it's done:

09:21:44 : Device ID:0x414
09:21:44 : Device flash Size : 256KBytes
09:21:44 : Device family :STM32F10xx High-density
09:21:52 : [sd_bootloader.bin] opened successfully.
09:21:52 : [sd_bootloader.bin] checksum : 0x0018ED46
09:21:56 : Memory programmed in 0s and 922ms.
09:21:56 : Disconnected from device.
09:21:56 : Connection to device is lost: check power supply and debug connection.
09:21:56 : If the target is in low power mode, please enable "Debug in Low Power mode" option from Target->settings menu.

I haven't changed any settings on the device. Should I try the "verify after programming" option?

Back