What's new
Nah not your fault, you have a lot going on already! I would just be happy if it eventually came out as this is something that would make life a lot easier.

Patience, people. :P

I doubt arcade projects are anyone's sole means of income, nor are they the thing people spend all of their free time on.

A few months without an update = dead project?

I personally don't have time to devote to producing these and providing support for others to purchase, so that's where I am at the moment. I offered it to @Darksoft who I'm sure is also a busy person.

We should be thankful anyone wants to work on these projects at all, in their own time, and make them available to others. Until money starts changing hands, I don't think anyone is owed anything.

Happy to exchange money for at least one unit to start with :thumbsup:
(2018 is also fine :saint: )

Patience, people. :P

I doubt arcade projects are anyone's sole means of income, nor are they the thing people spend all of their free time on.

A few months without an update = dead project?

I personally don't have time to devote to producing these and providing support for others to purchase, so that's where I am at the moment. I offered it to @Darksoft who I'm sure is also a busy person.

We should be thankful anyone wants to work on these projects at all, in their own time, and make them available to others. Until money starts changing hands, I don't think anyone is owed anything.
You're right, but since you've shown us this project, we're wainting to have these amazing boards!

This is the project that keeps on giving... or is that taking (time)?

I just received a Ringedge with ID8 and was all excited to wire it up for testing. I plugged in the MEGA JVS and the RE is having none of it! :rolleyes:

My limited troubleshooting tells me that the RE works fine with my stock Sega Type 1, so it's not an issue with the JVS port. Turning debug mode on for the MEGA JVS tells me that the last command received is the features command. It's been so long since I looked at the JVS command sequencing that I'm going to have to do some research here to figure out where the breakdown is. I have a delay variable set to a number that works on all my other JVS motherboards, but perhaps it needs some tweaking.

Not sure when I will get to dig into this, but I will post back when I figure it out.

Note that I don't even have a cab for playing RE (or Lindbergh), so all testing at the moment is done with an LCD off to the side of my OR2 cab.

Everything will eventually come together on my project list to culminate in a semi-universal JVS driving cab with LCD, FFB translator, and MEGA JVS.

I have the motivation, just not the time. :thumbdown:

I thought the RingEdge really preferred the Sega Type 3 I/O? I remember reading a post from @Mitsurugi-w saying he had a problem until switching to a Type 3.

I thought the RingEdge really preferred the Sega Type 3 I/O? I remember reading a post from @Mitsurugi-w saying he had a problem until switching to a Type 3.
The type it prefers for a given game is essentially inconsequential to the issue at hand.

Ostensibly a JVS compliant motherboard will pair with any JVS compliant I/O board regardless of the features it has. Any JVS I/O board that is incompatible with a given game SHOULD be able to be tested in the generic JVS test. The motherboard would only reject the I/O during game boot, assuming RE works like all the other JVS motherboards I have access to.

The issue right now is that I can't get the RE to pair with the MEGA JVS and even show up in JVS test mode.

At any rate, I can report the MEGA JVS as a Type 3, so I can play any games that require one. I have tested this on Lindbergh with Afterburner.

I played ID8 with the type 1 IO that came with my ID3 for a while. Obviously it didn't have all the outputs for the side panel lighting and what not, but it would boot and play.

I played ID8 with the type 1 IO that came with my ID3 for a while. Obviously it didn't have all the outputs for the side panel lighting and what not, but it would boot and play.
Same here. There was a slight delay in some buttons like View Change and Shift up. Sometimes these buttons just would not register. Switched to Type 3 and those problems went away.

I messed around a little with timing and got MEGA JVS paired with the RE for test mode, but ID8 is booting with an error that indicates no I/O is attached, even though I can tell that communication is live. I'll have to dig into that some more when I have time.

IIRC the key here was the number of inputs and outputs that were presented to the console. From the top of my head, that was the only thing preventing it from running.

IIRC the key here was the number of inputs and outputs that were presented to the console. From the top of my head, that was the only thing preventing it from running.
Oh! this triggered part of my memory... @winteriscoming there is a new switch for LED light, can you add that to your ID5 profile (i created a separate profile for ID8 but it matches ID4_5). the LED switch was giving me issues I have to dig further in my notes but I recall this switch was not accounted for in the ID4_5 profile.

I discovered that while I can get the RE to successfully show my the MEGA JVS in the JVS test menu (as in Name and Features), it does not seem to be successfully displaying inputs in the input test. Everything is locked on 0 and do not update according to switch state. So my issue is still a generic RE issue and not an ID8-specific issue. I suspect it's still a timing issue.

freddiefiasco wrote:
Oh! this triggered part of my memory... @winteriscoming there is a new switch for LED light, can you add that to your ID5 profile (i created a separate profile for ID8 but it matches ID4_5). the LED switch was giving me issues I have to dig further in my notes but I recall this switch was not accounted for in the ID4_5 profile.
[/quote]Are you referring to the LED outputs?

I noticed I had my ID4-5 profile set up for 20 outputs and I think it needed to be 22 per the Type 3 I/O.

Other than outputs, I had the digital switches set to 13 per player and not configured at the profile level. Though I think Type 3 is 12 per. I wouldn't expect additional reported inputs to cause the issue I'm experiencing, but I have set it to 12 for the time being.

winteriscoming' said:
Are you referring to the LED outputs?
Yep. There is an option in the test menu where it allows you to change the color set. It uses the Service button (Vaguely remember) as I do not have it currently turned on. Output should be one of the 3-4 colors.

I just stumbled upon this (and some other JVS related projects) when searching for hints on emulating an I/O board for my incoming Lindbergh.

While I'm certainly interested in playing VF5, my primary goal is to get AfterBurner Climax running, preferably with a regular USB stick and throttle I already have.

It seems like Mega JVS (given the right profile is made available) would work.

I only find very little information on the actual Afterburner Climax Cabinet hardware, so I wonder if anyone here knows which I/O board is usually coming with that. Is it already listed on Darksoft's JVS information extractor post?

I'll spend some time tonite digging into the information that's already available on the JVS protocol, etc. but would certainly be interested in your guys opinion and knowledge around this :)

Edit: Ok, just learned that the Sega I/O Type 1 board seems to be the best one to work with ABC.

Last edited:
I tried a little more with the RE yesterday and am still having no luck in the test menu input tests. I can get the motherboard to recognize the name and features of the I/O, but it doesn't seem to be accepting any of the replies for coins, digital inputs and analog inputs. It keeps polling all 3 of these indefinitely, but doesn't display them in the input tests. Subsequently ID8 boots with an error that the I/O is missing.

I'm still thinking it could be a timing issue, but I'm not sure what else to try. RE certainly is not working with what I have established and working on every other JVS motherboard have access to... :(

AfterBurner Climax running, preferably with a regular USB stick and throttle I already have.

It seems like Mega JVS (given the right profile is made available) would work.
This is not supported functionality. This board is only intended to work with controls that are wired into the headers, similar to what would be done on a Type 1 I/O. No external USB controllers are supported.

The RE behavior is really bothering me... I'm going to be setting up an I/O testing platform to see if I can crack this. My first goal is to measure timings for replies from a stock Type 1 I/O and see if I can closely replicate with the MEGA JVS. My assumption at the moment is that the RE doesn't like something about the timing of my replies to one or more of the very first commands and subsequently it refuses to use any of the replies to the regular polling after the identifying replies.

For the record:
-Forget about any games. I'm wanting to first get the MEGA JVS registering inputs in the RE's JVS input test menu. This eliminates any concerns about incompatibility with a given game. The issue at the moment is not at all related to a game.
-This RE works with a Sega Type 1 for all intents and purposes in the JVS test menu, so JVS I/O communication on this machine works...
-The best behavior I am currently getting with the MEGA JVS is that the RE issues all of the expected initial commands, seems to accept and display all the identifiers/features, the information about the MEGA JVS is successfully displayed on the JVS information screen, polling commands for coins/switches/analogue continue non-stop as expected, but no inputs register any changes on the JVS input tests. The RE is doing NOTHING with the replies sent to these commands, as if there were no I/O plugged up. It isn't even like it accepts the first reply and locks in the state, ignoring future changes, because I have tried booting it with some digital inputs locked on, and analogue readings would have been non-zero, and the RE is just displaying all zeros across the board.
-The only other change I seem to be able to affect is increasing delays before replying and I can get it to the point where the RE seems to give up after the features command, and sends no further commands. In this case the RE displays that no JVS I/O is plugged up.
-This particular MEGA JVS unit IS successfully communicating with other motherboards, and most recently confirmed working on a Triforce, so this particular MEGA JVS is successfully communicating with other JVS motherboards, so there isn't a general failure of the unit at play.

Edit: Interesting! @freddiefiasco has been a tester since the beginning and has a V1 MEGA JVS and I recalled him testing it on the RE with no apparent issues. Well, I just happened to dust off one of my V1 boards and loaded up a sketch I found on my hard drive... and... it works with the RE! I have no idea what's different between the 2 that makes one break down for the RE, but at least there's hope of figuring this out. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Edit: Interesting! @freddiefiasco has been a tester since the beginning and has a V1 MEGA JVS and I recalled him testing it on the RE with no apparent issues. Well, I just happened to dust off one of my V1 boards and loaded up a sketch I found on my hard drive... and... it works with the RE! I have no idea what's different between the 2 that makes one break down for the RE, but at least there's hope of figuring this out.
Yes! It works with the V1. Phew...I'm glad it wasn't just me. I could not figure out why the V2 was not working but ya, I use the V1 and i'm afraid to touch the sketch at this point because it works. I did at one point mess with the V2 but that was that issue I was hitting you up about. It was doing some wonky stuff so I went back with the V1 and haven't been figuring it out since.

Back