What's new
Feel like this thread didn't get enough love, just wanted to chime in and say the cases are pretty fantastic, thank you for designing them @snakeGrave!

20220419_082440.jpg

For anyone printing their own: OP didn't mention it but the pgmTop.stl without recessed text appears to be an older design with a slight PCB fitment issue and weaker construction in general. You should instead use the tops with text, or create a new top out of the newer versions with the text filled in (which is what I did)

Feel like this thread didn't get enough love, just wanted to chime in and say the cases are pretty fantastic, thank you for designing them @snakeGrave!

20220419_082440.jpg

For anyone printing their own: OP didn't mention it but the pgmTop.stl without recessed text appears to be an older design with a slight PCB fitment issue and weaker construction in general. You should instead use the tops with text, or create a new top out of the newer versions with the text filled in (which is what I did)
Is there a way to supply the updated top without text? For us noobs who don't use 3D printers often.

Is there a way to supply the updated top without text? For us noobs who don't use 3D printers often.

Sure thing! Attached is original bottom and "new" top. Again, all credit to SnakeGrave, the only thing I did to it was fill the text.

FYI I used #6 3/4" pan head tapping screws from my local hardware store to fasten the case together, worked well for me but YMMV

Attachments

• PGM NEW.zip
    136.9 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Is it recommended to use PLA or ABS for something like this? I have a 3D printer only 2 months ago and so far I have only printed with PLA, so I am not so informed about this. :P

By the way, can anyone with a vacuum-form table make fitting boxes?
I have a vacuum former sat round doing nothing at the minute (it's for bases for a new control panel project) and a CNC to make the tools. The former bed is easily big enough to make inserts...

Attachments

• former.jpg
    former.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 99
  • cnc.jpg
    cnc.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 104
@snakeGrave I just wanted to say THANKS for doing these cases! I now have a 3D Printer.. finally, And have started printing parts. I did a top case in RED and it was AMAZING!! Way better than i thought it would... So thanks heaps! You Rock! If you ever want some free or at cost PGM stuff... just let me know. I'd fell happy to say thank you that way :)

thanks for the kind words GC8, maybe you could help me out with some pgm advice? For some reason all the sprites in my fluffy ddp cart (esp Halifax and ketsui seem fine) are goofy now, it’s only on the high score screen though. I tried reseating roms, cleaning the connector, and double checking the 5v supply. Given you have made a heap of these have you ever encountered this?

Probably a sus eprom. I have had quite a few. ( I have programed 100's of eproms)
Faulty eproms for me, Erase, Program and Verify (3 times) and were still were faulty!
Fluffy has a diag guide in here about what is stored in each eprom, Its a great place to start (I printed his pics out for reference)

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/pgm-single-game-pcb-assembly-and-troubleshooting.10015/

That's what i would be looking at. Most of the time i have spare boards. so i can swap in and out a known working board.. to figure out which pcb has the faulty eprom. (then i normally switch in and out a eprom.. till i find the faulty one.)

I have had a few faulty PAL/GALs.. but that's not very common.. After that a few bad TTL chips.

I hope that helps you!

thanks for the kind words GC8, maybe you could help me out with some pgm advice? For some reason all the sprites in my fluffy ddp cart (esp Halifax and ketsui seem fine) are goofy now, it’s only on the high score screen though. I tried reseating roms, cleaning the connector, and double checking the 5v supply. Given you have made a heap of these have you ever encountered this?
Ive only got a problem on my fluffy espgaluda cart. The graphics sometimes glitch out. I recall there was a picture fluffy posted some time ago that showed what each of the roms does. likely a graphics rom. Been on my to do list forever. Even tho they check out sometimes they are still glitchy :cursing:

Thanks guys, yeah I sat down and played through ddp the other day. it wasn’t glitchy aside from that screen so I’ll probably ride this out since I think the Roma that are likely problematic are soldered in

I printed like 20 of those shells by now (all for friends). As i wanted to use heat inserts i had to trill the screws holes a bit (which weakened the structure a bit). As nice as i thought that idea was: Sadly the screw towers are not built for any force while screwing :(

Is the original file (hopefully in Fusion?) somehow available to make a few alterations to the design?

I have been trying to contact @snakeGrave for the last 3 months or more... With no reply. We were talking about doing mods to the cases to fix a few issues... He seemed happy to mod them.. then total radio silent. I hope nothing bad has happened to him :(

T.

Hope he is well!

... would be awesome to have an improved version of the case!

I worked with M2 heat inserts - worked fine. Problem are those screw pillars which need more reinforcement (some weird shape which does not break on screw turns) on the base^

Can post some photos of M2 inserts on the current design.

Back