What's new
Yup, I really enjoy Progear :)
But not looking to buy a Xbox360 console.

I’ll check out Mushihimesama
It's worth owning a 360 for the Cave ports alone. Ports are quite accurate, many extras not in the arcade, and you will pay next to nothing for the discs, compared to the PCBs. I can't recall which downscaler you need (surely there's an extensive thread on Shmups hardware forum), but you can make it look nice in your cab (with game configured for "TATE").-ud
The Ultracade UVC is supposed to be good. One of these days I'm going to build a combined 360 pad hack and one of those in a project box with a JAMMA edge for the 360 shmups.

I have most of the CAVE games on the Xbox 360. I find that I have a better experience with GroovyMame 15khz an extron 203 connected directly to the NBC RGB input on the RGB capable monitors.. I would recommend that route over the Xbox 360..alternative PC CRT with GroovyMame at 31khz.. I also have UVC but have not tried it on the Xbox because it seems to much of a hassle. Having the Xbox cave actual games that are not in mame is more of a nice have.

Edit - this his how the setup looks like with wireless Panzer and PC GroovyMame..Also, going over the RGB NBC gives my monitor a clear picture than going over the RGB 9pin that looks like PC input.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    373 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
GroovyMAME would produce more accurate timings, so I can see that set up as being a little better honestly.
I don't think you could be more wrong about hassle tho... GroovyMAME is a total pain in the balls to set up!

All you need to do on 360 is plug in the VGA cable, set the console to 480p, connect the UVC to the cab.
I've still got the cable I made you to easily connect the UVC to a 15khz JAMMA cab, I know the first one had problems but the 2nd one was/is perfect.
CSAoGpaaTl6RzSXTmjq80s3fgkgPJWCyDx1TyxkZo9b7kjmzqeIwwevF484qoC90I7B6jm1nRxS5qHSSbs4=w407-h220-rw

Yup, I really enjoy Progear :)
But not looking to buy a Xbox360 console.

I’ll check out Mushihimesama
It's worth owning a 360 for the Cave ports alone. Ports are quite accurate, many extras not in the arcade, and you will pay next to nothing for the discs, compared to the PCBs. I can't recall which downscaler you need (surely there's an extensive thread on Shmups hardware forum), but you can make it look nice in your cab (with game configured for "TATE").-ud
And if you're even more budget minded a JTAG or RGH 360 will cost you less than some of those discs on their own.

Corio2 2200a I think was one of them. The Emotia is one most people seem to go for.

But if you have a 31k monitor, it's easiest just to go for that. 360 VGA cables and you're on your way.

GroovyMAME would produce more accurate timings, so I can see that set up as being a little better honestly.
I don't think you could be more wrong about hassle tho... GroovyMAME is a total pain in the balls to set up!

All you need to do on 360 is plug in the VGA cable, set the console to 480p, connect the UVC to the cab.
I've still got the cable I made you to easily connect the UVC to a 15khz JAMMA cab, I know the first one had problems but the 2nd one was/is perfect.
CSAoGpaaTl6RzSXTmjq80s3fgkgPJWCyDx1TyxkZo9b7kjmzqeIwwevF484qoC90I7B6jm1nRxS5qHSSbs4=w407-h220-rw
Jassin - cab I have the second cable please...for science:)

I needs 2 of these cables, hook it up bro, would me my life a lot easier.

I dont think astro city cabinet can handle 480p at all

I have NNC with the Tosh PF so can hook up 31k directly, also I could use my Nec XM29 if I go down the xbox360 route + stick...

Will see for a decent xbox360 locally, will be a good start, Jtag it and enjoy ;)

You run the Xbox 360's 480p VGA signal through the UVC and it produces the 15khz signal, which the Astro City (and others) can display.

The UVC converts 31k to 15k or 24k so it will run in an Astro. Otherwise, you're right, it can't take 31k.

The Xbox 360 is definitely the worndeful combination of cheapest and best way to play (most of) the Cave library. Best thing is that there's a tonne of modes available on the games that aren't on the PCBs, as well as the option to save replays, etc. \

Going the RGH route is highly recommended as there's other solid shooters and games on the system -- I believe @SmokeMonster saved all the Xbox Live Indie games before they went offline too, and there's a handful worth playing.

Regarding using a 360 in a cab. I did some extensive research and aside from Tim Worthington's RGB SCART to Jamma board that's been unavailable for a longtime. I found that @Lemony Vengeance also makes an incredible solution called the Jamma360 that I'm on the waiting list for.

wow, overwhelmed with the number of replies here, really seems like the Xbox360 is the way to go! :thumbsup:
Any particular model in mind? original or slim? I'm a complete noob when it comes to Xboxes, my wife will probably divorce me the day I get a Xbox :P
Slim would be the most reliable correct?

For starters I can always start with using a VGA cable, 480p and TATE my NEC XM29, or get 240p out of it and TATE a PVM 2730QM.
Want to TATE a 2nd monitor anyway for Saturn shmups :)
Can always look at connecting it to a cab at a later point in time, but that Jamma360 looks like an excellent solution!

Both my RGH's are the R2D2 Console which is a Slim. If you're a Star Wars fan you might want to consider that model -- throw a 1TB drive in there, chip it and be done.

The clarity of the VGA cable is AWESOME too, just make sure you get an authentic one.

Yeah, that's the one. Makes some pretty cool noises too, and the controller is a good match!

All good stuff on the 360 mods, etc...

Should we have the mods @Darksoft @Mitsurugi-w move these posts to its own thread under console mods, etc...?

Would love to see more info on this topic of using the 360, UVC, the different cables, adapters.

All good stuff on the 360 mods, etc...

Should we have the mods @Darksoft @Mitsurugi-w move these posts to its own thread under console mods, etc...?

Would love to see more info on this topic of using the 360, UVC, the different cables, adapters.
Would good to move it as I derailed the cave-multi thread quite a bit :P

Back