What's new
Just thinking out loud here :
I don't understand why he never released this as a rompatch like he did everything else he worked on (up to a point then stopped).

People were selling the Enhanced roms on eBay. That usually annoys creators.

People were selling the Enhanced roms on eBay. That usually annoys creators.
But he still has a working link for older versions of his rompatches on his site. He isn't shielding himself completely if he's worried about that.

The other Enhanced roms are in Mame. They're available everywhere.

Just thought I'd sign up to quickly say hello. Thanks for helping Mathieu for getting in contact with me, and also for removing the files from the board. Both appreciated. I do usually respond in a timely manner to anyone who has the cabs and wants to program the ROMs. Unfortunately, something went amiss when Mathieu filled in the webforms and I didn't receive the response. I think it' the first time it's happened in a few hundred responses.

I've worked on a number of Sega projects in the past. Sega have always been good and generally turned a blind eye to fan projects, so I try to keep the heat off anything I do. Both OutRun and AfterBurner Enhanced were released around the time the 3DS versions were on sale - and contained music data from both versions. I'd expect Sega to continue to porting to platforms in the future. To address a previous comment, the older rom patches, unlike the newer versions do not contain any Sega data.

Once the ROMs are being commercially sold on eBay, as has happened, or bundled up for emulation on PCs it becomes more difficult to claim it's a hobbyist project with no commercial prospects. Sure it's not bulletproof, but at least it's something even if a token gesture. It also helps direct people's eyes towards donating to charity, which is a great thing. To provide a counterexample, when the ROMs have been sold on eBay I simply get support queries from people who have given money to chancers.

Hopefully in the future I'll have some time for more projects. These endeavours tend to be time consuming and require hundreds of hours - always tough to fit around work, family life and so forth - but fun nevertheless. I look forward to retiring and having all day to retro code. :)

Hello! Nice to see you around and great to hear your comments. I think it's going to be very difficult to avoid people selling them. It's just so. Releasing a patcher is the right way IMO. If you want to have your own section here, please let me know.

Hi Chris!

I already thanked you for your work by mail, but I want to thank you again for what you've done for the After Burner 2 lovers like me.
The After Burner 2 Enhanced version is great! Among all the features, I think the music and sfx during the demo is the one I prefer : it's so badass now! :thumbup:

For the others, Chris send me romfiles to upgrade my PCB to the AEE v1.02. He's a very friendly person who took time to discuss with a perfect stranger like me and share his work.

Back