What's new

phodie

Student
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I don't post a ton here - mostly been lurking/absorbing information up to this point but today that changes. I came up on a Sega Bass Fishing Blast City recently which is populated with what I believe to be a complete setup, sans a few parts on the fishing reel panel and some screws. The game however, currently plays blind. 🙃 (No black goop from what I can see). I suspect it's possibly a PSU or chassis issue but I really have no idea quite yet. My buddy was over with a multimeter and it seemed as though the chassis wasn't even getting power.

20220426_163811.jpg

Anywho, the mission is to convert this over to JAMMA to be used as a TATE setup solely for shmups. I figured I'd document what I can here as I progress.

Day 0/1 (ish)
So far I've taken the panel off the main body and removed the fishing gear to clean to prep for l repopulating. I've been following @stringbean thread for tips (thanks!) I used simple green, krud kutter and a garden hose so far and here's a before and after.

received_1424249074667373.jpeg

received_316927193912301.jpeg

PXL_20220424_195846238.jpg

Some residual adhesive that requires more of my time in the instruction area still exists but you get the idea. The panel is something I found on eBay but I want to get an Alberto panel eventually. More pics and progress to come.

Wish me luck!

That looks like it's going to be awesome! I love those 4 button Blast City panels, they look ideal for playing SNK stuff. Have you tried soaking off the residual label gunk with just pure alcohol? I've found that will work when other things won't.

Hey phodie! Great work so far. Hope you guys are still rocking Third Strike out your way!

Just a word from the wise since you're taking apart and cleaning the metals: if you plan on giving anything rusty the vinegar bath treatment, don't soak anything that has that "gold sheen" to it! You'll dissolve the plating right off. Anyways, good luck!

Gratz on the pickup! Every one of my Blasts has started it's life as a Bass Fishing. Have fun on the conversion! I'll be watching :)

If you need a complete jamma harness I have one.
My 1st Blast was also a Sega Bass fishing conversion. I threw a -001 jamma loom in there and it's been awesome since then 👌
Good luck on the restore!

That looks like it's going to be awesome! I love those 4 button Blast City panels, they look ideal for playing SNK stuff. Have you tried soaking off the residual label gunk with just pure alcohol? I've found that will work when other things won't.
Actually yes! - I did just that a few days after taking these photos, along with a DAB of goo gone and got the rest off. When I have some free time this weekend I'll maybe write up a quick update post as I plan on doing some more body work. But yes I'm very stoked on this panel. Most of what I plan on playing in here doesn't require more than 3 buttons so I'll probably end up just plugging the bottom button. Not sure yet, I'll play with the configuration I'm sure.
Hey phodie! Great work so far. Hope you guys are still rocking Third Strike out your way!

Just a word from the wise since you're taking apart and cleaning the metals: if you plan on giving anything rusty the vinegar bath treatment, don't soak anything that has that "gold sheen" to it! You'll dissolve the plating right off. Anyways, good luck!
Hey GeeDee! Thanks!! We're still playing for sure, there's a good core of like 4-5 of us who are still serious about playing. Life has personally been a bit crazier for me lately so I'm staying closer to home with the family for now - thus this project. I'm planning on traveling for 3S more next year as I get more vacation from work.

I'm glad you said something about the vinegar and the gold sheen before I did anything else. I only did two pieces this far (The hinge for the control panel and it's counterpart on the lid of the panel with good results but neither of those looked gold to me and I'm rather pleased with the results to be honest. Hoping I didn't mess up, lol.
Gratz on the pickup! Every one of my Blasts has started it's life as a Bass Fishing. Have fun on the conversion! I'll be watching :)
Thanks! That's reassuring to hear as I know I'm not the first one doing one of these it's always cool to see someone speak up and offer support LOL. Feel free to offer tips as you watch.
If you need a complete jamma harness I have one.
My 1st Blast was also a Sega Bass fishing conversion. I threw a -001 jamma loom in there and it's been awesome since then 👌
Good luck on the restore!
Hey thanks for the offer! I may end up hitting you up in the future as I am kind of currently scoping options. Might have a few questions for you as well down the road since it sounds like you did exactly what I want to do with this. Appreciate the well wishes.

Bear with me, more updates to come. Weather just has been meh and I haven't been wanting to get outside, also job. Stay tuned!

Come to Norcal and get some matches in with us!
Whereabouts Norcal are ya? And what does everyone play? I'm looking to host Sf2St matches, third strike, mvsc2 and possibly Virtua Fighter 1-3, maybe 4 😅

Back