What's new
Maybe I missed the information already but... Can Naomi 1/2 games be ported to AW?
If not (or other issues exist like JVS-to-JAMMA conversion) I can't see supporting this project on AW games alone (ie they don't have that many good ones).

Can Naomi 1/2 games be ported to AW?
I think this would be quite interesting, if for no other reason than having a nice compact JAMMA setup that could be used to play NAOMI games.

I'd also be interested to know if the "System Board Y2" games could be ported to AW or NAOMI, or either of those system games ported to Y2...
Notes in the MAME driver suggest it's similar: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/y2.cpp

only 1 game dumped currently but it's KOF 2002, would be cool to play that on AW or NAOMI. Similarly this is a very compact (smaller than AW) board that supports BOTH JAMMA and JVS making it quite compelling as a platform for NAOMI or AW games, or heck, even homebrew.

Last edited:
I can't see supporting this project on AW games alone (ie they don't have that many good ones).
There's a CPS3 multi, right? :)

Between Metal Slug, the SNK fighters, the ASW fighters and a few games that weren't officially ported anywhere else (Dolphin Blue and I think Rumble Fish), this is definitely a great and unique catalog, plus some games are creeping up in price and it's hard to distinguish real carts from fakes. NAOMIs aren't getting any cheaper, either. If you're not into fighting game games, I get it, but there is a handful of good games on the system.

Last edited:
There's a CPS3 multi, right? :)

Between Metal Slug, the SNK fighters, the ASW fighters and a few games that weren't officially ported anywhere else (Dolphin Blue and I think Rumble Fish), this is definitely a great and unique catalog, plus some games are creeping up in price and it's hard to distinguish real carts from fakes. NAOMIs aren't getting any cheaper, either. If you're not into fighting game games, I get it, but there is a handful of good games on the system.
Ironically most people will leave their CPS3 multi on Third Strike no less :thumbsup:

If you're not into fighting game games, I get it, but there is a handful of good games on the system.
Its not that (I actually really really like fighting games, I mean my avatar is of Blanka) its as you mentioned...
a handful

That isn't enough to warrant the effort and cost of a multi IMO, also I might feel differently IF I had no way to play these games.
But I DO have a way to play them, we all do...
  • On Naomi + NetDIMM: 100% for free
  • On Dreamcast + GDEmu: 100% for free
So I say, good luck you'll need it to sell people on this project (baring some advancement like porting the Naomi1/2 catalog to AW).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all. New to the chat and arcade boards in general. Previously accomplished all arcade builds with emulation. I started out with an Atomiswave and I do think a multicart would be pretty spectacular for a cabinet. Some of these games are really hard to come by and it's a damn shame because the system has some great titles. I thought about going the Naomi route, but really would like to play on the actual system if available. If it is still a possibility, I would part with a sizeable chunk of cash for this.

Yes once again, a multicart for AW would be welcomed because for starters why not? And Dreamcast ODE aside, Naomi NetBoot AW conversions are definitely not the way to go for playing AW games unless you just want to play them as they are. You will get a convenient experience via Naomi NetBoot but it wouldn’t be optimal. You have the Jamma to JVS input lag issue and some games are completely borked on Naomi, the most notable being Dolphin Blue. Playing it on NetBoot versus the actual game on AW is like night and day. I’m not hating on people who like NetBoot, it’s fine and they can go enjoy it, but don’t limit the options for other audiences.

A multicart for AW would for starters solve a very annoying issue with certain games that require time release as the only option for unlocking stuff. I am looking at you KOFXI. Normally if you are a one game, one board person, then this wouldn’t be an issue. You would never change games, so in this case for KOFXI, the characters would always be on the eeprom. But say you want to play Metal Slug 6 or any other game? Then here’s to another 1440 hours to unlock the secret characters. And for KOFXI, that’s 1440 hours played, not 1440 hours of the board on the demo attract screen.

And this is a community of enthusiasts who like playing on original hardware, so why not let us AW owners enjoy our setups more? AW games have skyrocketed like everything else and the bootleg carts on Ali express don’t seem to be a cheap option anymore as they aren’t as prevalent as they were before.

And while the recently announced rumble fish 2 port sounds nice, iirc, it is mainly a project by the company who licensed it from Dimps, and not by Dimps themselves. And there is already talk about that company doing many changes to the game like making it 16:9, changing move properties and basically making a different game. Also it’s very likely the new port is based on the Nesica version which is different from the AW game (Nesica besides balance changes, has redone effect graphics (whether said graphics changes are for the better is debatable), and load times and loading screens).

There is definitely a market for AW multis, I would love one for KOFXI alone due to not having to worry about the characters going bye bye whenever I want to change games. And with a multicart, if I ever decided to buy a second AW board for the arcade events I run or borrow my friend’s board, I could run two HNK setups since HNK along with RF2 are the only AW games I own (and cherish).

HNK is definitely not coming back and if it does, it would be like the PS2 port which had bug fixes, better performance on the stages that tanked on the AW, balance changes and less music copyright infringement (I am looking at you Souther stage). The PS2 port was like fine if that’s the only way you can play HNK, but the AW original is the most preferred version. That and the PS2 port is only 480i as ASW couldn’t be bothered to do 480p like SNK did for KOFXI. Also the load times on PS2 compared to the AW cartridge.

So yes again, AW multi would be so amazing and it has a more varied library than the cps3 which doesn’t say much. And I’m a cps3 ultra simms and bios owner too.

A multicart for AW would for starters solve a very annoying issue with certain games that require time release as the only option for unlocking stuff.
this issue already fixed via patching naomi netboot images, so you dont have to unlock anything at all

Hey all. New to the chat and arcade boards in general. Previously accomplished all arcade builds with emulation. I started out with an Atomiswave and I do think a multicart would be pretty spectacular for a cabinet. Some of these games are really hard to come by and it's a damn shame because the system has some great titles. I thought about going the Naomi route, but really would like to play on the actual system if available. If it is still a possibility, I would part with a sizeable chunk of cash for this.
I'm also new to the board and arcade/boards too! I also think a multicart for atomiswave would be cool.

this issue already fixed via patching naomi netboot images, so you dont have to unlock anything at all
This may be true, but as someone who only has Atomiswave and Neo Geo, I'm looking to get the most out of my investments. There are plenty of multi cart options for my MVS, but not one for the Atomiswave. While I fully intend to get a Naomi 2 and run flash carts, I would like to reserve it only for Naomi games and have dedicated hardware for the Atomiswave carts.

Wait? Are you for real? I have this issue with XI and I have been thinking of just plugging the unit to a 5V PSU and leaving it for two months.

Yeah, it is for real, if it was just on then many arcades would’ve unlocked the characters a lot faster than usual.

That doesn’t help the people who want to play on actual Atomiswaves. LOL
it does, but in more complicated way - write "unlocked" program rom to original AW cart. but, people obviously wanted it in simpler way, and cheaper at the same time 8o

I guess there's one way to find out.

kof_xi_time_unlock.jpg

I have around 350 hours already on it. So in 15 days I should have Adelheid unlocked?

I'm not sure if the fan is really needed, but eh.

EDIT: after running now for 24 hours, fan is recommended. Air blowing out is definitely warm.

Last edited:
Back