What's new

Frank_fjs

Multi Boyz 4 Lyfe
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
It took me a solid year to locate an Astro City locally, and I've not seen one since.

orio1

Student
Reaction score
You're on the money ^^^

Even the price of Astro's has increased in japan, Y800,000 + it seems these days (i guess that could all change with 'rona & economics )

I also hate the thought of cheap arcade parts from Japan as I would rather pay $$$ than have game center's close down :(

xodaraP

Legendary
Reaction score
It's a hobby a lot more people are getting into because those of us who played arcade games as kids are in our 30s/40s and in a lot of cases have kids to share the hobby with.

Supply has increased a lot from Japan with more and more resellers, but the demand is well and truly outstripping the supply.

SelfDeniedHoarderz

Professional
Reaction score
Supply has increased a lot from Japan with more and more resellers, but the demand is well and truly outstripping the supply.
kind of true but at the same time there are plenty of candy cab on sale around 1.5k which is the price range that lots of buyers don't want to pay. (local vendors usually have these cabs in stock, Highway, Hallam Arcade, many in qld, etc...)

Most of us will scout around for "bargain" or a cheap project cab that you can work further on (effectively putting everyone in a competition for a very limited amount of these kind of cabs floating around every year).

Truly there are no such thing as true bargain cab but if you are super lucky as the owner does not know the true value of the cab, you might get yourself a deal.

In a nut shell, just like pinball, you will need to invest a fair bit into this hobby if you really want to expand your cab collection quickly.

Also best to own a house with large space before even attempting to even start collecting cabs as these cabs can be pain the ass when you need to move to new places. Probably not so ideal for people who are still renting and want to have multiple cabs in their collection as you will need space for the cabs and storage for parts.

And i would like to remark one quote that i remember fondly from my uni time "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch".

xodaraP

Legendary
Reaction score
1.5k for a 30 year old arcade cabinet with moderate burn in on a screen that probably needs a refresh from Jomac, replacement buttons and sticks and other restoration work is a tough pill to swallow.

I understand that's where the market is now but it's only there because more people are joining the hobby, which is great but does make it harder.

djsheep

Multi Boyz Overlord
Immortal
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
^ agreed. People are taking the piss.

mR_CaESaR

Champion
Reaction score
LOL tell me about it... but the problem is.. people are buying!

I'm frustrated with these blasts already - I am seeing what Joey can do (if anything). If not, they're going straight back on GT and I'll let someone else deal with the headaches :D

dan-esc

Beginner
Reaction score
1. dan-esc
2. QLD
3. Soldering, just about to do an OSSC. I can make RJ45-to-console cables. Artwork / drawing.
4. More open source projects to solder
5. danaubin.com

Dzhay

Professional
Reaction score
It seems to me that at least part of the problem is a few people making a concerted effort to drive up prices by asking what seems like too much. I know you need a buyer for it to be effective, but if person x asks $2k for a blast city and then when person y is looking to move one on, they're liable to ask closer to $2k than what they paid.

The increase is really visible in relation to blasts and egret IIs, although maybe that's just because they're the cabs I've keep an eye out for.

djsheep

Multi Boyz Overlord
Immortal
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
The only way to beat it, is to not buy it unfortunately. But like you said @Nimmers, there’ll always be that one guy with deep pockets ruining the perceived value.

SelfDeniedHoarderz

Professional
Reaction score
I personally will never pay more than 1k for any candy cab period. But then there will be another spectrum of cheap ass people who always expecting a bargain fully working candy cab for less than $400, probably lying to themselves about the real perceived value of the cab. It's free market and the law of supply and demand are applied to everyone here. But you are right, there are always some guys with deep pocket willingly to pay inflated price for candy cab, thus effectively raised the price ceiling for the candy cab in australia. Given that the retro gaming and arcade resurgence, price will keep going up from now on.

mR_CaESaR

Champion
Reaction score
I'd pay 1.5k for an aero city that doesn't need any chassis repairs :)

But the reality is, I need to most likely pay 3k for it lol.

Given my very fortunate previous purchases, my expectation of price is very different from what they're being sold at.

As djcalle has said, you just have to be able to move on them quickly.. I've been lucky enough where the sellers have kept their word on me.. Very often the seller says to me "you know how many people have offered me more than what I was asking just to get it" (happened with my last three purchases - astro, noir and blasts)

tonjo

Student
Reaction score
$1300-$1500 for a rusty tub, lmao, what kind of home grown are ppl smokin’

SelfDeniedHoarderz

Professional
Reaction score
on the same board, bet on my left nut that i will ever sell my cab at the same price that i bought few years back.
Sellers ofcourse want to maximise the profit and would only drop the price if the demand is very smalll.... but on contrary, demand for arcade cab is increasing over the years and i expect the median price to rise above $1.5k for an average working conditon cab in the future.
Should be glad that candy cab price has not gone off the roof like Pinball ....yet.