mR_CaESaR

Grand Master
Reaction score
Lol you can always buy cabs :D :D

I've resorted to the back pergola cos they no longer fit in the garage :D :D :D

waali

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick question, where does one find candy cabs in Australia? People are finding them hand over fist here but when I was looking I couldn't find anything.

mR_CaESaR

Grand Master
Reaction score
Hahaha yeah.. I seem to get quite lucky :)

It's usually fb marketplace or gumtree.

djcalle

Student
Reaction score
Quick question, where does one find candy cabs in Australia? People are finding them hand over fist here but when I was looking I couldn't find anything.
Patience, look every day on all usual websites and groups, then move fast when you find one. People that seem to get luck actually look every day for months/years, it is not really luck.

tonjo

Student
Reaction score
Patience, look every day on all usual websites and groups, then move fast when you find one. People that seem to get luck actually look every day for months/years, it is not really luck.
@djcalle has hit the nail right on the head there

orio1

Student
Reaction score
just scan everything 24/7 .... im pretty autistic about it when i want something.

i scored a dope NAC during this flu bs the day before stage 4 jail that had been sitting in a shed , protected under plastic for 19 yrs as the seller scored it as a trade with some pinball deal from an operator. Arcade's weren't his thing so it sat preserved for that long....... btw it was on facebook marketplace in the turntable/hifi section, go figure...

Same with some things on YHJ, heaps of stuff is in the wrong section or spelt wrong / wrong description .....

Frank_fjs

Multi Boyz 4 Lyfe
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
It took me a solid year to locate an Astro City locally, and I've not seen one since.

Murray

Professional
Reaction score
I dont think people are finding them hand over fist... just saying. Candy cabs have dried up a LOT. That's not saying they don't come up for sale, but they come up a LOT less now than they did say 12 months ago. I think they have become a lot more collectible lately compared to just something cool that you have to play arcade games on... as stupid as that sounds.

orio1

Student
Reaction score
You're on the money ^^^

Even the price of Astro's has increased in japan, Y800,000 + it seems these days (i guess that could all change with 'rona & economics )

I also hate the thought of cheap arcade parts from Japan as I would rather pay $$$ than have game center's close down :(

Murray

Professional
Reaction score
I just think that there is more limited supply than there used to be, and people are snapping up containers from japan to resell to other markets because demand is pretty high, and things are costing more. We've been spoiled over the years that we just had a lot of these cabs around because a lot of them just made it over here over the years. There's still a lot of them in Australia, just less people sell. It's happening with a few other hobbies I am involved in as well, plenty of it around in the country, just people seem to be holding on to it a lot more than they used to. That's what I think anyways.

xodaraP

Enlightened
Reaction score
It's a hobby a lot more people are getting into because those of us who played arcade games as kids are in our 30s/40s and in a lot of cases have kids to share the hobby with.

Supply has increased a lot from Japan with more and more resellers, but the demand is well and truly outstripping the supply.

SelfDeniedHoarderz

Professional
Reaction score
Supply has increased a lot from Japan with more and more resellers, but the demand is well and truly outstripping the supply.
kind of true but at the same time there are plenty of candy cab on sale around 1.5k which is the price range that lots of buyers don't want to pay. (local vendors usually have these cabs in stock, Highway, Hallam Arcade, many in qld, etc...)

Most of us will scout around for "bargain" or a cheap project cab that you can work further on (effectively putting everyone in a competition for a very limited amount of these kind of cabs floating around every year).

Truly there are no such thing as true bargain cab but if you are super lucky as the owner does not know the true value of the cab, you might get yourself a deal.

In a nut shell, just like pinball, you will need to invest a fair bit into this hobby if you really want to expand your cab collection quickly.

Also best to own a house with large space before even attempting to even start collecting cabs as these cabs can be pain the ass when you need to move to new places. Probably not so ideal for people who are still renting and want to have multiple cabs in their collection as you will need space for the cabs and storage for parts.

And i would like to remark one quote that i remember fondly from my uni time "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch".

xodaraP

Enlightened
Reaction score
1.5k for a 30 year old arcade cabinet with moderate burn in on a screen that probably needs a refresh from Jomac, replacement buttons and sticks and other restoration work is a tough pill to swallow.

I understand that's where the market is now but it's only there because more people are joining the hobby, which is great but does make it harder.

djsheep

Multi Boyz Overlord
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
^ agreed. People are taking the piss.