What's new
how's that moss ball top? is it good texture? do you like it?
I was in disbelief when I saw it and then held it. It is the strangest arcade product I am likely to see in person. It is like an arcade balltop started growing hair, lol. Hopefully the little hair description comes out in photos I have taken.
I can't help but like it as the texture is very soft. I haven't put one through it's paces on a fighting game yet though.

I want some of those accessory drawers - hopefully they have some at my local store. They sell similar ones at Bunnings and Jaycar but they cost more

I want some of those accessory drawers - hopefully they have some at my local store. They sell similar ones at Bunnings and Jaycar but they cost more
Let me know if you can’t find them. Im in close proximity to about 5 Aldi stores with many more on my transit for work. The drawers look really handy. Way better than the gazillion cardboard boxes and ziploc bags.

Yeah those drawers are great for storing passives and small stuff. Will definitely grab at least 1 of each in the photo

The local store is a fairly large Aldi so they tend to get reasonable numbers of the Special Buys - I’ll go down there early just in case

Yeah those drawers look great.. but sadly they're only good if you have a proper workbench. Unfortunately, I need portable style compartment containers

Yeah those drawers look great.. but sadly they're only good if you have a proper workbench. Unfortunately, I need portable style compartment containers

I’m hoping the drawers fit well in an IKEA Kallax

There’s a fair bit to getting the dream arcade room setup just so hey. Find the machines. Need the room. Need the access. Need the power points. Need the lighting. Need the parts/tools. Need the parts/tools storage and workshop. Need that workshop to be near arcade room. Need a van or Ute. Need a big garage. 😚

Don’t overthink it @Ziggy Cheetos Dust… unless you’re a Instagram whore I don’t think any of it matters ultimately. Just get your cabs looking good enough to you and get cracking with the games! Same with the workspace. An evolving space is way more exciting than a tidy show(off)room IMO.

I grabbed that Astro from up north and it’s doors are pretty beaten up. Like every one of my other cabs I’m going to keep it the way they arrive… no fishing the Internet for compliments on the beauty of what are useful to me as nothing more than the mechanisms for playing my PCBs.

Don’t overthink it @Ziggy Cheetos Dust… unless you’re a Instagram whore I don’t think any of it matters ultimately. Just get your cabs looking good enough to you and get cracking with the games! Same with the workspace. An evolving space is way more exciting than a tidy show(off)room IMO.

I grabbed that Astro from up north and it’s doors are pretty beaten up. Like every one of my other cabs I’m going to keep it the way they arrive… no fishing the Internet for compliments on the beauty of what are useful to me as nothing more than the mechanisms for playing my PCBs.

Yes agreed. It’s that work in progress which is so fun. I do enjoy tidying up the cabinets and seeing other people do the same, but yes the goal is to then enjoy playing them. That’s great you got that Astro. Is there space for another in your room?

Yeah I embrace the war wounds! I don't need immaculate cabs.. I just want to play on them - don't get me wrong, there's been a couple of cabs that I've given my best effort to restore (in the cheapest way possible), but that's only because they were pretty much a rust bucket and going to the bin :D

It'd be nice to do a whole powder coat restore of the aeros, but it'll cost way too much and there's no gain expect aesthetics. When I'm looking at the screen playing, I don't need to worry about what the outside of the cab looks like. As long as the monitor, joystick and buttons are all good and my behind is sitting on something comfortable, then I'm happy.

Ambient lighting can always be purchased on the cheap, parts and tools can be acquired over time - it's overwhelming when you think about all the things in this hobby, but it's only overwhelming when you think of it all together.. a couple of bits and pieces here and there over the course of a year and you'll have a nice little toolkit.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Roughly 10 years ago when I bought my first cab, it was a New Astro City scuffed to shit, monitor had burn and the convergence/geometry was screaming for a recap. It needed to warm up and my sticks/buttons were whatever, I never even bothered swapping them out. I genuinely didn't know any better or cared to find out. Sure I was a "regular" on various cliquey forums like shmups but I just wanted to play some games man.

Didn't stop me from getting some good Progear 2nd loop practice in! (I hit a brick wall at 2-3 before the long dick of life came swinging at me).

Honestly I miss that cab so much it's unreal. Anyway working on cabs is cool and all but remember why we got into this financial black hole of a hobby in the first place.

Also I never posted a picture of my setup. So here it is, now people know what I have I guess :) I suppose it's the culmination of 10 years on/off dabbling with all this fun nonsense.

(Hey if a Windy 1 comes up for sale please let me know, thirsty is an understatement. These Windy 2's have converted me to team Konami, sorry wallet!)

Attachments

• IMG_1646.jpg
    IMG_1646.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 96
Went to Aldi this morning and picked up one of each type of the drawers. They had about 10 of each on display at my local store

For reference, the dimensions on the drawers are

305 x 165 x 415mm (WxDxH)

One of the other products they’re selling is a micro drill set, they’ve had these before and I have one but I’ve worn out most of the bits

These are super useful for drilling out solder from through holes that are difficult to clear, I would definitely recommend them for $10. They come in a plastic case for storage

I bought 2 more of those and a set of small files

If anyone wants a set and can’t get to an Aldi, let me know and I’ll go back and grab a set to send out

Went to Aldi this morning and picked up one of each type of the drawers. They had about 10 of each on display at my local store

For reference, the dimensions on the drawers are

305 x 165 x 415mm (WxDxH)

One of the other products they’re selling is a micro drill set, they’ve had these before and I have one but I’ve worn out most of the bits

These are super useful for drilling out solder from through holes that are difficult to clear, I would definitely recommend them for $10. They come in a plastic case for storage

I bought 2 more of those and a set of small files

If anyone wants a set and can’t get to an Aldi, let me know and I’ll go back and grab a set to send out
Good to hear. I went as well and they had plenty of the magnifying lights there. So I’ll take a chance and give it a week and see if they discount excess stock.

Back