What's new
Sounds to me like there's something wrong with the chassis? The tube is obviously fine. There's no reason why it shouldn't work (although will it look good is a different matter entirely).

So you picked up a full MS8-29 monitor, had vertical collapse, sent the chassis in for repair. Received a different, said to be working chassis. Am I following this correctly? Did you test it on the original monitor?
two sets of ms8-29s fresh from sharp and neither worked and they both didn’t have the power to project the image. The image came up light purple And there was a cracklings high pitched buzz coming from the neck. Here’s a link so you can hear it as the ones I posted don’t have sound https://youtu.be/pJCaXMuGuDQ

ok so @nem I decided to check both ms8-29s and yokes and well everything works. I pulled the astro monitor out and put back the blast now I’m gonna button up this and I’m back to messing with the blast. Am I missing something on the blast amp up? Its a standard 15 pin sega amp up all the pins are the same aren’t they? Anyway here is a pick of both chassis and the yokes readings. I currently have a ms8-29 x2, ms8-29 yokes x2, ms9-29 x1, ms2932 x1, a ms2932 with heat resistor swap and a ms2931 yoke. I used the ring on the ms2931 and the both ms8-29 chassis and yoke last night when it was making that sound.

z2mOBad.jpg

NVQyatA.jpg
uWNQPNS.jpg
RWUmJyk.jpg
x3kT3W4.jpg
B5bF6cL.jpg

The Blast tube will never look good with the MS8-29 or MS9-29 yoke on it, as the deflection angle is not the same. The top and bottom will forever have convergence issues.

However when transferring back to the ms2932 chassis with the heater resistor trick it was fine.
Do you mind elaborating what the "heater resistor trick" is? I am troubleshooting a couple 2931 chassis, and this piqued my interest.

However when transferring back to the ms2932 chassis with the heater resistor trick it was fine.
Do you mind elaborating what the "heater resistor trick" is? I am troubleshooting a couple 2931 chassis, and this piqued my interest.
With a ms2932 Chassis you can use a resister to make the picture brighter but it’s not a really good fix just a temporary solution. I would imagine it could possibly shorten the lifespan of the tube or the chassis also.

Back