What's new

tDRG

Grand Master
Reaction score
I've been using a Vessel Megadora 980 Impacta P2x100 #2 to take apart my Blast and it's been working great on all the screws so far. It's too long to get the ones that hold the coinbox door in place, so I got this piece of shit Hozan JIS-4 JIS Screwdriver Set with a couple shorter screwdrivers. I was able to get the bottom screw out, but I think the screwdriver stripped the top one. What should I do now? I don't want to make it worse. I just ordered a Vessel Megadora 920 +2x25 Stubby JIS Cross Point Screwdriver that should arrive by Wednesday. It's a countersunk screw, so it might be hard to get at it with pliers or Dremel a slot across the top. Any other suggestions besides throwing the Hozan kit in the garbage?

is it the tool or the method that needs to be thrown away? if it's actually stripped then try a stripped screw remover. That said I'll take your hozan tools if you are really discarding them.

The hardware that sega used is generally a lot better than most other arcade game manufacturers. A lot of it wasn't really designed to be taken apart or serviced though. If you can see any rust around the plate then that's probably a contributing factor to the threads being seized. Using a drop of penetrating oil will give you a better chance.

Lol I'm just being dramatic. I do think it's the screwdrivers that caused it though. The Vessel works fine on the other screws around the coin box, and they appear to be the same size. No signs of rust anywhere, including the screw I did manage to get out.

I'll try a stripped screw kit if the smaller Vessel doesn't get anywhere. Any recommendation in particular? I'll give this one a shot:
https://www.harborfreight.com/screw-extractor-and-left-hand-drill-bit-combo-set-10-pc-61981.html
I don't think it'll be easy to get the drill in there since the screw threads are parallel to the door, but we'll see.

How about this Tank Bond liquid grip, anyone ever use it? https://www.lowes.com/pd/DAP-Tank-Bond-Liquid-Grip/5000294723

Cool, thanks for the suggestion on the penetrating oil. Something like this? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-4-oz-PB-Penetrating-Oil-PB-TS-B/202726970
Seems like it would be difficult to get it on the threads, but I'll look into it. Thanks.

Got it out. Big thanks @KaPH33n , the penetrating oil helped a lot. I ended up getting an 11oz can of the one I linked, it had the nozzle to spray precisely. Thankfully the other side of the screw was accessible from the top. I hit it with some heat from a hair dryer for a bit first, sprayed a little bit of the oil on the threads, waited a few minutes, and hit it with oil again.

The Vessel Megadora 920 +2x25 Stubby JIS Cross Point Screwdriver I ordered from Amazon ended up being a flathead in the cross point packaging. I ordered one from Zoro instead and it finally arrived yesterday. I got some of that DAP Tank Bond too. I think that helped the grip even after the screw was stripped. It's gritty and glittery and not really sticky. I coated the head of the screwdriver and squirted a little in the screw head. It kinda slipped around before when I tried fitting it in, but it seemed solid after adding the Tank Bond. Screw came out no problem with no resistance thanks to the penetrating oil.

So, lessons learned:
  • Use the right tools. The Hozan kit probably isn't faulty or poorly made, it's just not the right size for the Blast screws? Needs a JIS #2.
  • If the screw starts to strip, stop trying.
  • Penetrating oil is really helpful, Tank Bond seems decent too.

I picked up one of these Engineer screw extracting pliers recently and their very nice looks like their still on sale on Amazon too.
Nice! I have a pair too, but these screws were countersunk so I didn't try them.

Here's something to consider when dealing with JIS screws and supposedly "JIS" screwdrivers: https://rtstools.com/jis-vs-phillips-screwdrivers-and-where-to-buy-a-jis-screwdriver/

Keep in mind that you will never find Hozan, Vessel, etc. claiming their drivers are JIS anymore, it's always the third party sellers. Actual JIS screwdrivers are pretty rare. JIS screws are no longer used even in Japan, everything is DIN/ISO now and the drivers are as well. These old, real JIS screws on our cabs fit decently with ISO/DIN (way better than old Phillips American screwdrivers, another thing that's been mostly phased out) but not perfectly.

Back