What's new

Hackcell

Grand Master
Reaction score
Hello,

Would the stock blast city PSU strong enough to handle a naomi 2 + dimm board + oem sega cf reader + sega jamma io board?

Thanks!

From what I've read, the 3.3v rail on the Blast PSU should provide enough power for a Naomi 2 + NetDimm. However, on my Blast, it does not. I can't get the 3.3v rail to 3v when the Naomi 2 + NetDimm are powered on; my Blast PSU maxes at about 2.9v. I have recapped the PSU too, so something else is up with mine. Your mileage may vary! I ended up using an ATX PSU to power the Naomi 2 in my Blast cabinet.

Thanks for the heads up! worst case scenario I was thinking some thing similar... find a suitable atx psu that I can fit inside of the oem PSU/audio "box" and rewire.

I would be curious to hear if your Blast PSU can supply enough juice for the Naomi 2. One thing I have been considering is picking up a 2nd Blast PSU and seeing if it gives me a solid 3.3v rail. Anyway, good luck and keep us posted!!

My blast psu powers a naomi 2. I've noticed I need to have the power wires at a certain position to get the 3.3, otherwise it just won't hit 3.3. Like, they can't be bent or twisted a certain way, really weird.

One of the issues I noticed in the blasts I reworked- check the solder joints on the connectors. for some reason they almost always need a reflow. I had similar issues until I did a reflow and recap of the power supply. Ran VF4 Final tuned without issue.

I have the same issue too. I thought it's because my blast psu produces only 11.9V for 12V. I have to use Naomi psu to power the Naomi and blast psu powers the rest.

Pulled my Blast PSU this morning and checked solder joints on the power board. Everything looks OK, but I reflowed everything around the connectors. I also used contact cleaner on the cable connectors and inspected the cables for breaks, missing insulation, etc. Everything looks good. Put it back together and I get 3.7v on the 3.3v rail when powered on, but when the Naomi + NetDimm are plugged in, the 3.3v rail still drops to 2.9v and I get a black screen (yes, the 3.3v pot on the PDU is turned all the way up). I plugged in my ATX PSU just to make sure my Naomi didn't get raptured over night, and everything works great with the ATX PSU. So yeah, something in my Blast PSU is keeping it from delivering the juice needed. Again, your mileage may vary!

have you tried increasing the power output using the 3.3v pot?

I have 4 blast cities, but 1 out of the 4 power supplies struggles with the Naomi netdimm set up. It's been recapped and cleaned up, but struggles to get 3.3v. I dunno what else it could be, but I kind of just left it alone and put the naomi in a different cabinet.

Is there any risk to straining the Blast City PSU if you were to run the Naomi netdim system in there?

I'd tried to run the Naomi in my blast, which didn't initially but I read somewhere that there may be power consumption concerns overloading the PSU so I decided to run an extra sun PSU anyway and haven't really looked back since... Especially as I like to switch between namco system 256 and Naomi in mine and probably wouldn't want to risk overloading the namco.

it's official... now I'm wondering if I can fit an ATX PSU inside of the original PSU cage and do some rewiring....

Of my two Blast City cabs, one will power everything mentioned. The other will not (even after a recap).

Of my two Blast City cabs, one will power everything mentioned. The other will not (even after a recap).
interesting... have you opened both PSUs to see if there is some sort of physical difference? hwd revisions maybe...

Back