What's new

kuze

Champion
Reaction score
Blazing Star "Special" Version:
blazstar_sm.png

Hey everyone,

I put together a quick hack for Blazing Star which removes the 'Bonus' sound (triggered by the blue icon as above) many of us find irritating.

The program ROM has been left unmodified and I just silenced this sound effect in the V1 ROM.

Attached you'll find an 'xdelta' file for patching against your copy of '239-v1.v1' from 'blazstar' in MAME.

Also attached is 'vroma0-xdelta.zip', which has an xdelta you can apply against the file 'vroma0' if you are a Darksoft multi user.
For those using NeoSD, use 'blazstar.neo.xdelta.zip' and apply the xdelta inside on 'blazstar.neo'.

As usual I recommend using 'xdelta UI' to apply this to your game: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/598/

Since the program file is not modified, you can optionally use this with the @Clearpaper mod here:
https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/blazing-star-stage-select-and-minor-tweaks.14193/

Cheers!

Attachments

• 239-v1.v1-xdelta.zip
    251 bytes · Views: 115
  • vroma0-xdelta.zip
    234 bytes · Views: 112
  • blazstar.neo.xdelta.zip
    333 bytes · Views: 144
Last edited:
YEESS!! FiNALLY!!!! I ended up not being able to play this game due to that. So irritating…

I think I was alone in this but glad to know it’s a common feeling

Thank you 10000000000x times over for this. ❤️ Love this game but hated the obnoxious Bonus effect being spammed.

you are my hero!! i thought tomorrow is christmas :D

i love this game and it will be so much better without this bonus sound :D

is there someone here who can create a rom for the darksoft mvs multi?

I think I was alone in this but glad to know it’s a common feeling
Everyone hates that constant bonus, thing is most of us have been playing it that way for so long we can't imagine anything different...
Even when the lady don't say "boonus" I still hear it in my mind. :P

I suspect also Metal Slug 2 Turbo hack is in this category, albeit to a lesser degree (aka closer to playable so more accepted/tolerated).

Last edited by a moderator:
you are my hero!! i thought tomorrow is christmas :D

i love this game and it will be so much better without this bonus sound :D

is there someone here who can create a rom for the darksoft mvs multi?
Haha it's close enough to Christmas! I've added an xdelta for the Darksoft multi to the first post. :thumbsup:

I honestly can’t decide how I feel about this, but I’m very glad it exists as an option.

Amazing work, thanks!!

Love the game but hate the “bonus” always wondered why it was not an option in the dips - Well done 👍

Nicely done!

What made you decide to modify the V data instead of the M sound driver?

Back