What's new
BlueSCSIs are nice and cheap to build when the parts are available, which is more often than not. I have built 4 of them so far I think.

I've been using them with a bunch of retro PCs lately. Can't say much but good things from a functional standpoint.

Good news!

A new firmware has been released adding official CD support for the BlueSCSI and it works with the CPS3

CD support is still in beta but I didn’t have any issues loading 3S on my setup
Where could I download the firmware update? I just bought my first BlueSCSI and I'm new to this.

Where could I download the firmware update? I just bought my first BlueSCSI and I'm new to this.
No worries.

It's easy to update. This recent post should have what you need. https://tinkerdifferent.com/threads...st-diy-scsi-to-sd-device.29/page-7#post-18737

If your BlueSCSI flashes rapidly on powerup it's pretty new and QMK Toolbox should flash it easily. They have been shipping in this USB updateable state for a while now. If you happen to have an older one you might need a (and this next word is important) knockoff stlink programmer to update it. The docs on Github are pretty good.

No worries.

It's easy to update. This recent post should have what you need. https://tinkerdifferent.com/threads...st-diy-scsi-to-sd-device.29/page-7#post-18737

If your BlueSCSI flashes rapidly on powerup it's pretty new and QMK Toolbox should flash it easily. They have been shipping in this USB updateable state for a while now. If you happen to have an older one you might need a (and this next word is important) knockoff stlink programmer to update it. The docs on Github are pretty good.
I bought mine from Rabbit Hole Computing. ZuluSCSI. I assume its pretty new?

2 totally different products.

BlueSCSI is open source and the links I provided are for that.

Updating a ZuluSCSI is easy though. Just be sure you download the right file. Place it on the SD card. The ZuluSCSI will install it on next power up.

https://github.com/ZuluSCSI/ZuluSCSI-firmware/releases
So All I have to do is download the correct file, place it on the SD Card, then place the SD card in the ZuluSCSI and boot it up with my CPS3?

So All I have to do is download the correct file, place it on the SD Card, then place the SD card in the ZuluSCSI and boot it up with my CPS3?
That should do it :) if it does not work, make sure it [the ZuluSCSI] could write a log to the SD card. You should be able to pop the SD back in a computer and see zululog.txt. If there isn't a log file, try a new card. I have found once I have a card the ZuluSCSI can write a log to, it's pretty smooth sailing.

Last edited:
That should do it :) if it does not work, make sure it [the ZuluSCSI] could write a log to the SD card. You should be able to pop the SD back in a computer and see zululog.txt. If there isn't a log file, try a new card. I have found once I have a card the ZuluSCSI can write a log to, it's pretty smooth sailing.
YgfPda_e.jpg

I received this message. does that mean the log wasn't written? Sorry I do not own a SD card reader and had to go to my friends house to use one.

YgfPda_e.jpg

I received this message. does that mean the log wasn't written? Sorry I do not own a SD card reader and had to go to my friends house to use one.
There is no way for me to know if there is a log on the SD without it being checked on a card reader. You'll need one anyway to continue troubleshooting or to change ISOs.

There is no way for me to know if there is a log on the SD without it being checked on a card reader. You'll need one anyway to continue troubleshooting or to change ISOs.
L-2J3ZuW.jpg

it appears the log file was written. Is there a specific ISO I need to upload on the SD card? I have an original BIOS cartridge

That looks good, you just need to put the CD ISO you need in the same base directory and name it per the documentation. If you had a working CD you just need the ISO of the same.

I'm considering picking up a BlueSCSI for my CPS3 board. Noticing that the hardware appears to have a V1 and now a V2 version, the V2 utilising a Pi Pico. Could this be used too or should I just set my sights on the V1? Thanks all.

I'm considering picking up a BlueSCSI for my CPS3 board. Noticing that the hardware appears to have a V1 and now a V2 version, the V2 utilising a Pi Pico. Could this be used too or should I just set my sights on the V1? Thanks all.
V2 is overkill for a CPS2, V1 is just fine if you can get one.

The V2 is a totally different product - different hardware, different software, different processor, different architecture, different everything. It might work, it might not.

I'll make some and find out for sure soonish, but until then the V2 is totally untested, and the V1 is well tested for this specific use case.

If you want to be a test pilot then the V2 would be a tonne of fun. If you want something that will just work with no fuss then the V1 is the way to go

I’ll probably get a V2 and test with it, I was the CPS3 guinea pig for the V1 :P

I have a few spare RPi Pico boards I bought for different projects so definitely worth a shot

@ hatmoose are you building any V1 boards?

I@ hatmoose are you building any V1 boards?
I have 4 x CPS3 boards (it’s a long story) so I made some v1 boards over here
Thread 'In this thread we build the projects that others have shared - BlueSCSI for CPS3'
Actually looks like I never finished posting my notes…

Super interested to see how your V2 testing goes, it was your work on the V1 that got us all started down this path and inspired the CPS3 ODE renaissance that we all currently enjoy, thankyou!

Good to see. I have no doubt V2 will work or would be fixed quickly by the devs. While it's speed is over what the CPS3 would need, and a V1 would suffice, the V2 could still be better in the long haul avoiding the bluepill stuff.

Back