What's new
I figured this would happen some day.

to be realistic though CV1000-D boards usually fetch alot of money anyways. I dont think its possible to make a bootleg without forking out a ton for a donor board already unless its old stock these guys got in China for CHEAP

But also why go through the effort when you can just sell it for what it probably goes for.
I cant think of any "cheap" cv1000-D boards that you could magically buy up for super cheap and make any meaningful amount of profit on it by doing this

So its probably old stock or boards with bit rot that needed reprogramming anyways???

Pretty interesting to say the least. I wonder how the sound is on these and if it is a true 1:1 reproduction. It does seem like they are having to use some stock of existing games to source parts, hopefully damaged games and not originals that were working.

The odd thing is the gold plating. I just put my CV1000D in storage otherwise id be staring at it as we speak.

Everything else looks like a 1:1 copy. Which sounds like a living hell to make from scratch. Maybe they stole the gerber files from Cave LOL
But then you have to go through the effort of finding all the original EOL old stock chips and cpus and components that look basically exactly the same..

Maybe they are ripping parts off old beat up PCB's and putting them on repro boards. Its odd man

Edit:
Okay unless someone can prove otherwise. This is feeling like a total repro/remake PCB. The chips and parts are all old stock sourced things I just cant see anything from that era thats gold plated and not tin, everything else is 1:1 . Thats nutty if thats the case...

Last edited:
It's crazy to think how much effort went into this if they didn't plan to make them at some kind of volume. Trickle a few out to get people interested and sell a few at that high $ price and then slowly bring more to market and (hopefully) lower the price.

For all that work, there's got to be a longer term plan to maximize their profit. Not just make a dozen boards (depending on donor pcb's) and walk away. It'll be very interesting to see how this develops.

And below a certain price many a wallet will open with a quickness. Mine certainly would.

The pictures on the eBay auctions are very similar to the one in the thread @Darksoft linked to only difference is the thread is from 2021 and the auctions are from 2024 ...

The time and cost to develop something like this shouldn't be underestimated, even if he rips off an existing design, so he can ask for however much he wants.
Though he should be honest that it is a replica, clearly mark the PCB and maybe use a unique soldermask colour.

To create a multi you could probably use more flash memory, or use DIMM sockets. Though I'm not sure how much impact changes like this would have on competitive play or tournaments.

The pictures on the eBay auctions are very similar to the one in the thread @Darksoft linked to only difference is the thread is from 2021 and the auctions are from 2024 ...
Looks different to me. The linked thread looked like a conversion from a real dfk.

Pics from thread and auction:

2001 thread:
IMG_5449.jpeg

New one:
IMG_5448.jpeg

Silkscreen is different and no visible dot patterns (i guess from vias?)

Wow, I wish they would take it one step further and make it into a multi. Then it might be worth the 1600 bucks!
Nah it wouldn't.

Very impressive stuff!

Seems unlikely since there some components like the fpga and sh3 cpu that must be rough to source by now.

I think I saw new SH3 listing recently (a few years back) but could you use SH4 out of naomis and dreamcasts?

Last edited:
CPU has to be: Hitachi SH-3 @ 133 MHz (7709S) if the game is to be compatible.

when the boot looks more premiums than the original :P :P like above figured it would happen one day but not1:1 repro:huh:

Silkscreen is different and no visible dot patterns (i guess from vias?)
FWIW Not sure if technically they are vias or not, but it's a pattern I recognize from multi-layer PCBs regardless. If you see that patterning on a board of the era, it's essentially a guarantee it's more than a 2 layer board.

Back